[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Serious question time /g/. What is the advantage to using Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7
File: 1449974793156s.jpg (7 KB, 161x250) Image search: [Google]
1449974793156s.jpg
7 KB, 161x250
Serious question time /g/. What is the advantage to using Linux besides the ricing and lack of a botnet? It has video games, sure, but how will it stack against Windows excluding the 2 aforementioned things?
>>
If you don't know why you'd need it, you don't need it.
>>
>>51905799
This picture makes me very disgusted, I wish people would stop posting it
>>
>>51905817

Fair enough anon-kun. I like the ricing, the shit some people do in the desktop thread is amazing, and the botnet I appreciate, but it just seems like a waste on my tiny laptop HDD.

Maybe when I get a new PC and buy a second 1TB drive I'll get a distro that isn't Ubuntu-based. Yes, my first distro was Ubuntu.
>>
I just like feeling like I have a better understanding of what's going on under the hood. Package managers also make a lot of stuff easier.
>>
File: 0_1745fb_505f4ff9_orig.jpg (220 KB, 800x1235) Image search: [Google]
0_1745fb_505f4ff9_orig.jpg
220 KB, 800x1235
>>51905832
>>
>>51905799
most of the software I use for my job is unavailable on windows, or extremely hard to get working on windows
also cloud providers for windows are much worse than those available for linux
>>
File: wtf.jpg (21 KB, 211x246) Image search: [Google]
wtf.jpg
21 KB, 211x246
>>51905799
>THAT POSTURE

OOOOOHHHHHH MYYYYYYY GOOOOOOOOOD
>>
>>51905799
If you had asked "Why should I let a hundred men run train on my gaping asshole?", my answer to that question would be the same as the question you actually asked.

Because you're a giant faggot
>>
>>51905799
>Better terminal
>Better folder structure
>Non-retarded Python install
>>
>>51905817
see >>51905817
if you like it and enjoy it, use it
if you don't, don't fucking use it

kill yourself
>>
>>51905799
From a primary windows user:
It's nicer to program on.

Other than that the only reason you would use it is for work related software.
>>
>>51905799
>superior filesystem
>open source
>scripting
>bash
>sane package manager
>>
Absolute control. Same reason I prefer to build a PC than buy one prebuilt.
>>
>>51905799
me in the pic
>>
personal preference
>>
For me, the license matter.
Linux is free.
You can get a windows copy illegally gratis and it is hard to by a laptop without, so let's just for argument say windows is gratis as well.
Now the difference lies in what you can do with the system.

A linux works on almost anything.
It does not take up a lot of space so making a live CD (usb now) is not just easy, it is possible.
You can install linux on one machine, configure it to your liking and then clone the drive to a lot of machines and it will work.

Ever tried to install windows on another machine and then moved the drive over?
It is not just a technical thing, Microsoft did this on purpose in order to stop spreading of their software (illegally)

Linux does not have this problem, if you can get it to work, it is yours.
You own it.
>>
>>51907467
You can just see the neckbeard sprouting.
>>
File: 130575025553.jpg (19 KB, 263x378) Image search: [Google]
130575025553.jpg
19 KB, 263x378
>>51905799
Is that a programming IDE on the iMac screen?

God, looking at that posture makes me feel uncomfortable.
>>
>>51905832
Why it's just an average faguser in action, I see this shit everyday
>>
File: applesuit.jpg (29 KB, 500x761) Image search: [Google]
applesuit.jpg
29 KB, 500x761
>>51905832
>>
>>51905855
>waste on tiny hdd
You're fucking kidding right? You do realize there are fully functional distributions that can run a graphical environment, with all of the usual suspects normies would need (music player, video player, modern web browser, email client, file manager, full office suite compatible with M$ office, all graphical) that comes in under 2GB of storage space? If you were willing to forgo a graphical environment and do everything in terminal/curses you could have all of those things and come in under 200MB most likely.
>>
File: appletat.jpg (45 KB, 453x604) Image search: [Google]
appletat.jpg
45 KB, 453x604
>>51905799
>>
>>51908903
Nah, you're still paying for windows even if it comes with your shiggy diggy prebuilt shitbox or laptop.
>>
>>51910407
he has a big cock
>>
As someone who has been using Linux for the first time for about a week now (first used Debian, then switched to mint) here are some things I prefer so far.

1) While it took me a bit to get used to at first, using a package manager to find and install software/programs is infinitely superior to how you do it in windows.

2) While I haven't really done any of it yet, customizations and configuration is obviously better than Windows

3) Not being spied on is nice

4) It feels much more snappy and responsive than Windows 7, which I've been using for almost 5 years

5) Looks better out of the box compared to Windows 7 (subjective obviously)

6) Lightweight as fuck
------------------------------------------------------------------

Some things I don't really like about it so far

1) Using a terminal is confusing as fuck after a week of trying to use it

2) Filesystem has taken a bit to get used to, I still don't understand the point of root accounts and shit

3) Feels unfamiliar alot of the time.

4) The biggest fucking one that pisses me off, multi monitor support. Seriously, this is piss easy in Windows 7, yet I've had one hell of a time trying to set things up with another monitor, plus tv with the same image as my main screen.

I mean, so far it's just been a matter of getting used to stuff, which is fine. There's alot of terminology that's been thrown at me that I don't fucking understand. For example, I don't know what xorg, apt, systemd, Canononical, or Wayland is/are.

Biggest thing that I like though so far is how things appear to always be moving forward with linux, i.e. things are always in development or people are always looking for things to improve.
>>
>>51907747
>non retarded ruby install
>non retarded system environment variables management
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.