[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the deal with Blu ray? Why do you have to jump
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 2000px-Blu-ray_Disc.svg.png (79 KB, 2000x1073) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Blu-ray_Disc.svg.png
79 KB, 2000x1073
What's the deal with Blu ray?

Why do you have to jump through so many hoops to get it working?

I'm genuinely curious. Why is is so much easier just to plop a dvd into my disc tray and it work without any coercing? I understand you need a blu ray drive for blu rays to play, but why isn't that all. Why do I need some kind of specific, costly, software to even dream of playing blu rays on my computer?

Blu ray has been around a while, so it's not like it's a new technology. Computers come with software to play dvds out of the box, and even then you have downloadable players. But blu ray needs specific paid software to play. Why hasn't there been a free alternative blu ray playing software yet?
>>
Passkey Lite is good, you can watch BDs in your normal media player that way.
>>
I like the format for lossless audio and awesome film quality, but fuck it's a half baked format.

HD-DVD at the time worked in my PC with no issues, just needed to install a program. Blu-ray is such a fucking mess.
>>
File: 1266126008249.jpg (68 KB, 305x196) Image search: [Google]
1266126008249.jpg
68 KB, 305x196
>he watches movies on his computer
>>
>>51903789
I do everything at my computer.
>>
>>51903627
dvds used to be the same
>>
>>51903627
>2015
no commercially available bluray burner what is this shit
>>
File: doghat.jpg (81 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
doghat.jpg
81 KB, 612x612
>>51903627
the MPAA got what it wanted and the consumer suffers to this day
>>
>>51903813
How long did it take them to become freerange with usability?

Blu ray have been around for a little over 10 years now, right? Shouldn't we have had some king of free player by now?
>>
Does the blu ray converted thing for VLC still work?
>>
Pretty sure pcs don't play dvd (encrypted) out of the box.
>>
Is leawo any good?
>>
>>51903899
what? how do people make backups on it?
>>
Get don't even think about trying to get that shit to work on linux
>>
>>51904058
And*
God I need to read my posts
>>
http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/

try this
>>
>>51904072
Does that still work with the newest version of VLC?

I looked that up and people were saying how it doesn't play some movies.
>>
just torrent AnyDVD
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.