[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Power a light bulb
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: WIN_20151215_20_43_30_Pro.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20151215_20_43_30_Pro.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
I bought the a uv blacklight that looks like a small fluorescent tube. I have light banks for the larger fluorescent tubes but not for the smaller ones.

How would I even go about powering a fluorescent tube light bulb?

pic related. mine.
>>
>>51888278
bump plz help g guys
>>
File: Untitled.png (16 KB, 1314x711) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
16 KB, 1314x711
sorta do this
>>
>>51888317
now there are two points on each end of the tube. first error

second I don't own a hamster. can I replace the hamster with a battery? What kind of battery?
>>
>>51888349
well something has to run on the wheel to generate the electricity, maybe you can do it yourself. Anyway, just adjust accordingly for two points on each end of the tube - add an extra wire or something.
>>
>>51888366
Dude that's not funny

I got a really heady glass pendant with UV glass I want to see under a blacklight.
>>
>>51888278
uhh i want to say like 40 volts ac?
>>
>>51888963
how to I connect to it to the ac

please help
>>
File: 1434402902689.gif (1 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1434402902689.gif
1 MB, 200x200
>>51888278
Use a plasma ball
>>
File: China2011513828418.jpg (112 KB, 2000x1348) Image search: [Google]
China2011513828418.jpg
112 KB, 2000x1348
>>51888278
I am an electrical engineer, before I type out a post outlining methods you could use, tell me, do you want it to be portable or not?

If not, you can use an electronic ballast from just about any hope depot store, they look like flat bricks, and have 2 wires, those go into mains, and then 4 wires, that go into the 4 terminals on the bulb.

If you can about portability, then you have a couple ton options. You can use a standard low-power (200-400W) 12-240/12-120 volt inverter, that can be connected to any 12 volt battery, like a car battery or a rechargeable large 12 volt battery. Those take in low-voltage input and convert it internally into a low-power electric outlet, and are usually cheap as fuck. Just hook one up to your car battery, then hook the ballast to it, then to the bulb, and you're done.

Here's how the electronic ballast works, it takes mains, full-wave rectifies it, and filters it with a rather small filter capacitor, then switches it at high-frequencies, which enables small size, then feeds it into a small tiny ferrite transformer, which steps the voltage up to some 600 or 1000 volts, which are then connected to your bulb, which excites the noble gases and mercury inside it, which makes it glow.

There's also another option if you're not into engineering a device to light it yourself, you can usually find on sale, little bulb holders that hold 2 bulbs and lights them up for an hour or two via batteries, you can just open one up and remove the existing 2 bulbs, and replace them with on of yours, those usually use short bulbs so will accept the one you have.

Also, on the ballast, which is not really a ballast as discussed above, you will find that each 2 wires are grouped together, usually, 1 side will contain 1 pair of wires, and the other will contain 2 pairs, the 1 pair are usually mains, and the 2 pairs go into the bulb, 1 pair on each side, polarity doesn't matter because AC.

Oh, it seems I already wrote a long post. (cont)
>>
>>51890724
(cont)
Pic related is average Chinese cheapo electronic ballast, which clearly outlines what I described. More expensive branded ones will usually let you use your own wires, and have a diagram on them that describes how to hook em up.

Tell me if you have any more questions, I can also write a post about wirelessly powering them, which is lots of fun imo.
>>
>>51890751
(cont again)
also I forgot to mention, some ballast comes with the ability to power 2 or even 4 bulbs simultaneously, which will obviously have way more pairs of wires, and usually also more than a single transformer inside, and also usually higher quality components due to higher loads. So don't be confused if yours have more than 2 pairs.
>>
Tape it to one end of your dick and tape a table lamp without a globe in it to the other
Your dicks resistance will ensure the globe gets the right power
>>
Yeah a ballast xcept you don't need one of those big ones lol. Just the little round ones will work for a light that size.
>>
>>51890724
doesn't need to be portable
>>
>>51891266
Then just use an electronic ballast goyim
>>
>>51890751
Thanks dude you're a great person for explaining that all for me :D I think I'm gonna build a case for it.

Where do the two first wires go? into the "mains" ? the power source? what is my power source
>>
>>51891291
>>51891291
Okay I found one I get for $12 that works with t5 lights like mine but how do wire power to the ballast
>>
>>51891293
>>51891360

The mains is your electric socket, 120V AC at 60Hz if you're American, and 240V AC at 50Hz if European, also some countries use 220V AC at 50Hz, but that doesn't matter because all devices that work at 240 will work at 220 and vice-versa.

Also, I'm not sure if I have to remind you, but you should NEVER touch bare mains wires, even 1 wire will give you a bretty gud shock, and you have a good chance of dying, too.

Also, some electric sockets have a ground terminal, most of those ballasts won't use that because cheap Chinese shit, here's a link to determine your socket type.
http://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/

The ground is always the middle terminal.

Also, there's shit like this, which is meant to hold the bulb.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/attachments/lighting-light-fixtures-ceiling-exhaust-fans/38065d1410455039-fluorescent-light-replacement-question-15767.106852_4.jpg

There are these pre-built cases with pre-built holders avaliable, too.
http://www.siongboon.com/projects/2011-04-17%20lamp%20bulb/lamp%20photos/bulky%20T8%20casing.jpg

Some of them come default with ballasts, but most require you to add them on your own.
>>
>>51888278
microwave it
>>
https://www.whatismyreferer.com/
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.