[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/wdg/ - Web Development General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
File: 1449342190628.png (747 KB, 824x553) Image search: [Google]
1449342190628.png
747 KB, 824x553
Old Thread >>51827781

>IRC Channel
#/g/wdg @ irc.rizon.net
Web client: https://www.rizon.net/chat

>Learning material
https://www.codecademy.com/
https://www.bento.io/
https://programming-motherfucker.com/
https://github.com/vhf/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md
https://www.theodinproject.com/

>Frontend development
https://github.com/dypsilon/frontend-dev-bookmarks

>Backend development
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks

>Useful tools
https://pastebin.com/q5nB1Npt/
https://libraries.io/ - Discover new open source libraries, modules and frameworks and keep track of ones you depend upon.

>NEET guide to web dev employment
https://pastebin.com/4YeJAUbT/
>>
As usual, tell us what you're working on. Questions and comments welcome.
>>
Reposting: What's /wdg/ general consensus about CodeIgniter?
>>
Absolute Newfag/Scriptkiddie here

Where can I learn how to design my own websites so that they look similar to modern websites.
The sites I can make look like they're from the early 2000's
Also I have no clue about these different web dev languages, whats the difference between the different JavaScript languages (angular, node, coffee)
And how do I build a website with responsive design cause that seems like its all the rage right now.

I can build a pc if that makes my ignorance and incompetence sound better
>>
>>51888272
Go to a website that you like and inspect the CSS for different elements on the page.

Learn bootstrap as well. It can be a good starting place for theming
>>
>>51887890
>well, I feel like people don't really need to see or touch that
The UX side of me says that you shouldn't show it at all then. If people shouldn't use it, don't provide it. If they should, make it easy to access. A simple button would be better than what you have now.

>I thought the most advanced stuff in CSS was relatively new
True, but using a framework won't help you with that. IE8 won't start supporting :target, no matter what framework you use.
As an example, if I wanted to style a :target pseudo-class, I'd start by creating the site without that functionality, possibly using some styles to compensate for that. Then I'd add styling for the IE9 and above, i.e. using regular :target pseudo-class. And finally, I'd have a JS implementation on top of that.

>>51887921
>No, that's not what I'm implying.
In that case I misunderstood.
>you made it seem as if writing your own CSS, even for large projects, can be done in a short period of time.
I meant that using the styles of Bootstrap and/or other large frameworks as base styles for your (large or small) projects admittedly CAN save you some (in my experience mostly negligible) time. The reason I consider the time saved to be negligible is that it comes at a cost; you sacrifice one or more of the following: customizability, uniqueness, bandwidth, uptime, and probably something more, which I can't think of right now. I'd much rather have full control of the aforementioned aspects, than gain the time it'd take me to write base styles for a website.

>Still takes less time than defining your own styles
That very much depends on your project. Not only the scale of it, but also how important an unique design is, page load times, code smell/quality (for example for a portfolio site), etc.

>Side question
I'm a pretty quick typer and I actually enjoy writing easy code, so I haven't made any such snippets. If I ever get tired of writing the same old base styles, I'll totally do so, I think it's a good practice.
>>
>>51888180
i'm not /wdg/ consensus but i fucking love codeigniter

i fucking hate symfony so go figure why i like codeigniter
>>
>>51888180
I've never used it, but Laravel has always been the recommended framework for PHP. Steep(ish) learning curve but it works well.
>>
>>51880806
Thanks for the answer.
>>
>>51888180
Codeigniter is good for quick projects. V3 has made a lot of improvements.

You should look at python
>>
>>51888391
For some reason I find Laravel easier than Django. Is this a common thing?

BTW, my understanding of Python is much better than that of PHP so I can't figure out why Laravel makes more sense to me.
>>
>>51888180

I'm a Rails guy and I decided to look at (very reluctantly) look at PHP frameworks to increase my employability

I couldn't find anything that matched Rails (in my opinion), but CodeIgniter was my favourite that I came across. Lightweight, simple, basically ticks the boxes that I ask of it. Okay it would be nicer if it had a bit more in-built power to it like Rails, but I just could not *stand* Laravel because it seems extremely fucking bloated. Also the CLI is called "artisan" and it talks about "crafting" we applications, which makes me sick to my stomach.
>>
File: laravel_folder.png (4 KB, 331x154) Image search: [Google]
laravel_folder.png
4 KB, 331x154
>>51888665
>Laravel because it seems extremely fucking bloated

I've only used Laravel so I can't tell if this is bad compared to the others or not, but after installing and configuring it with a few plugins (Express, Collective, MySQL, and Elixir) this is the end result.
>5,883 files in 1,1215 folders.
>>
File: symfony.png (59 KB, 416x201) Image search: [Google]
symfony.png
59 KB, 416x201
>>51889037
>5833 files

step aside for the king of bloat
>>
opinions on node.js?
>>
>>51889037
That's why Composer and VCS are a must in Laravel projects.
>>
Can anyone suggest me some good text editors for web development.
>>
>>51889713
If you're serious, Sublime Text. Otherwise something "trendy" and "hip" like atom.io, etc.
>>
>>51889713
I've started webdev from scratch last week, probably my opinion isn't the best because I may be not seeing all the stuff, but Sublime 3 feels great.
>>
>>51888272
if your sites look like from the early 2000's, it's not because you don't know Javascript, it's because you are bad at designing your website. If you use the right colors, fonts, layout, you can make any site look modern.
>>
>>51889441
Good for fast prototypes, I don't see why anyone would use it in production.

>>51889713
If you want something easy entry and something that works most of the time then go with sublime. If you want something that just works and don't mind spending a week or two to learn it go with vim or emacs.
>>
>>51890194
This.
>>
lol buttstrap wont be ready this year
>>
>>51889814
Not Sublime because it doesn't support font ligatures.
>>
>>51889713
webstorm has great intellisense
>>
Updating my framework.

>>51889441
Node does connections quick, and by that mean it can open and close quick. Basically it shines in benchmarking, but JavaScript isn't a fast language and I haven't used node enough to tell if implementing your backend is going to be slow or not.

Personally, if you really care, there's fastcgi and c++ for you, then your site can respond in 80us. Awesome. Or even C#, some frameworks respond in around 350us.

That being said, if all you're doing is connecting a db, you'd clearly get away with it.
>>
>>51890452
>I need ligatures to write my code
>Successful dev
Pick one
>>
>>51888056

trying to get started making a website for a school club. I want to have a user authentication system that I can hook into a forum system later. What would be a good thing to do this in? New to WebDev, but I'm in my second year of a compsci major so not new to programming and such
>>
>>51892025
PHP.
>>
>>51892076

Ok, any specific framework I should look to learn, or should I just learn to code it from scratch?
>>
>>51892082
I very much recommend learning it from scratch, utilizing the correct parts of it, like using PDO instead of MySQLi for DB access.
Only after you're comfortable enough with pure PHP should you look into frameworks/libs.
>>
>>51892101

Sounds good! As far as my (current) end goal of wanting a user login system, how hard should that be to implement?
>>
>>51892110
I'd say that's a very nice short term goal. I'd wager that the most difficult part is to wrap your head around how sessions/cookies work, which to be honest isn't that hard.
There are tons of tutorials on how to implement a login system, and most of them I'd say will teach good enough practices.
Just regarding your future, I'd very much suggest reading up on the correct ways to develop each individual unit of your project. For example, setting up the database and tables in the correct/efficient manner, not (EVER) storing passwords in plaintext, but rather using hashes, encryption in general, error checking, etc.
>>
>>51892150

thank you anon for the kind advice, will follow.

another quick question, I'll be learning quite a bit of Python next semester, is there a good way to apply that to WebDev? Never really looked into it too much
>>
>>51892161
I've been a full-stack dev for a few years now, and all I've ever used is PHP for back-end. It's pretty much the standard, and is expected of anyone who writes back-end code for the web.
I'll admit that nowadays there are other options (basically any language you can think of), of which some are even quite viable and increasingly popular, but I (personally) can't help but feel that they're not too useful. This is of course a subjective matter, and I know a lot of people will argue that PHP is utter shit, etc. The fact of the matter is that PHP will most likely not be superseded by anything else in the near future, so I'd very much suggest focusing on that.

Of course, if you're WAY more comfortable in for example Python, you could use that instead(/with PHP). It's really a matter of preference, since nowadays performance differences are quite negligible, except for enormous projects.

I'm sure there are many ways to utilize Python in webdev, possibly even by replacing PHP altogether, but as I said, I just don't have the experience on the matter.
>>
If any of you live in Alabama, my company needs two web developers.
>>
>>51892252
You realise no one who has more than 10k users uses PHP, right? It's only standard for tiny websites, like Frank's local business and your sisters WordPress
>>
>>51892404
>what is facebook
>what is wikipedia
>what is imgur
>what is tumblr
All of those, and literally millions of others use PHP.
I'd wager that the only reason Google doesn't is that when Google was created, PHP was on its 3rd version, which was pretty shitty, so they went another route.

As I said, I'm not dissing or saying that other languages can't/shouldn't be used for webdev. I'm saying that PHP is undoubtedly the most widely used, and probably will be for quite some time.

I'm sure almost all of the above websites also use other languages to complement PHP, and many admittedly use PHP only for legacy reasons. That doesn't mean a beginner webdev shouldn't learn PHP.

At least where I'm from, you wouldn't get a job from anywhere without knowing PHP, regardless if the company actually mostly utilized other languages.
>>
Thank you wdg. I finally get why you guys hated PHP. I can't explain how bad PHP is but I sure can explain how great python is.

Thanks again.
>>
>>51892404
You realize 4chan uses PHP right?
>>
>>51892404
>You realise no one who has more than 10k users uses PHP, right?
kek

It's okay to say PHP is annoying to use because of its inconsistencies and quirks, but saying nobody uses it for websites which have 10k+ daily visitors or 10k+ active users is retarded.

inb4 'they're not using PHP because it's slightly modified' or 'they're not using PHP because they also include other languages'

>>51892533
>I finally get why you guys hated PHP
Because this place is a shithole? Because people would rather claim it's shit because of an article they read from 10 years ago, rather than analyzing it after using it in demanding production environments?
>>
>>51892533
The programmer is one in the chain of crappy coded websites, so learn the best practices. Also, stay away from Joomla.
>>
>>51892252
>>51892504
>knowing PHP is necessary to get a job.
No.

If the company requires their devs to know various languages that they don't even use then it's probably not a place you want to be working at. PHP is dying and the only new sites using it are small local businesses and WordPress sites. If that's what you want to be doing then by all means learn PHP. Obviously large sites can't change their back end overnight and are going to need PHP devs in the future. However they already have a lot of them and world is full of PHP devs if they need a few new ones.

If you're starting out in web dev now learning PHP is pretty much useless. You're gonna have much better luck with newer languages that are the future, this doesn't include js for back ends as that's still a meme. Shit like C#, java, python and erland are all going to be much more valuable than PHP in a few years.
>>
>>51894143
>>knowing PHP is necessary to get a job.
>No.
>If the company requires their devs to know various languages that they don't even use then it's probably not a place you want to be working at. PHP is dying and the only new sites using it are small local businesses and WordPress sites.
Being honest as fuck, this is seriously what I meant. Yes, 4chan uses it... But that was almost 10 years ago. Nowadays if a business knows they're going to need a high response time, they're more likely to use java, c# or node.

People just know PHP isn't for high traffic sites.

>You're gonna have much better luck with newer languages that are the future, this doesn't include js for back ends as that's still a meme. Shit like C#, java, python and erland are all going to be much more valuable than PHP in a few years.
Lol, node is a meme but python is going to be valuable?

Ha.... Hahaha. Node is going to get more popular because it's hello world benchmarks well and JavaScript is seen as an "easy" language.
>>
>>51894372
Fuck off shill.
>>
>>51894472
I'm not a shill, right there in my blog I cast doubts as to whether it's some sort of trick. IE by making hello world fast, but everything else slow, they gain a lot of users attracted by objective qualities despite being slower overall than other alternatives.

I use C#. In my world, I'm totally bewildered by this "easy" language "complex" language distinction, C# looks as easy as JavaScript to me.
>>
>>51894372
>>51894502
You might gain a lot of users at first by having fast benchmarks while being slow as fuck for everything else. However after people do their sites on top of node, notice that their performance isn't where it's supposed to be, realize that it's feature and there's nothing they can do about it they'll never come back. And it's not just them. They'll tell their friends who work in the field about their problems and then when one of those guys is in a meeting where they're thinking what back end to use they remember those problems they/their friend had with js and get as far away from it as possible.

Right now js is the shit but it's a meme that won't last, especially not for large projects.
>>
Anyone use node-webkit?
What do you think about it?
I'm using it to make a local wiki program for practise, haven't done web stuff in a while
>>
Let's say I'm a blank slate, don't know anything related to web development and want to get into front-end development.

I've got two supposedly good books laying around which explain HTML, CSS, JavaScript and jQuery.

Where do I go from there?
>>
>>51894502
C# is easy as fuck, only visual basic has a simpler syntax
>>
>>51894823
Get a rope.
>>
I see the usual anti-PHP brigade is out in full force today.
>>
>>51894851
Agreed.

I'm at that stage where programming is just... That. You're done with finding languages, you know that there are relatively few actually ugly languages, just ugly programmers. I like Java, C# and C when developers aren't naming their variables like autists, but how could you blame the language for bad variable names?

Otherwise, I don't actually know why I would use JavaScript for anything except client side scripting.
>>
Anyone write Wordpress themes to sell? If so, please give me free advice on how to compete with you:

* Which niche should I target? (Gallery, fashion, travel, entertainment, whatever)
* Where should I sell them? I'm not a marketing expert so I assume I need some revenue-share redistributor
* How much could I expect to make per theme each month?
* Should I offer a bundle deal (price inclusive of installation assistance and N hours of customisations)?
>>
File: archatparty.jpg (169 KB, 710x540) Image search: [Google]
archatparty.jpg
169 KB, 710x540
>>51889713
what about VS Code? I have tried atom,lighttable,vscode,sublime,emacs,vim and brackets. And this is the outcome:
Any editor written in html/css/js is the lowest class of quality. Skip at all costs. Only VS Code has some less bugs and superb Microsoft's Intelisense.

Emacs is an OS with weird macros and keybindings. Slow to start .

Vim has modes which is unintuitive for me. I dont want to jump between modes and waste time just for browsing and editing the code.
I am more of a clicker/snippet than keybinding man.

Both emacs and vim have poor support for syntax autocompletition.

Sublime is golden middle. It is written in C and Python , has excellent plugin manager. Many plugins for all sorts of things easily installed from within the editor . Plugins on emacs and vim are disaster.
Sublime is fastest editor regarding that startup time , lines of codes ,etc. Has the most superb side bar fro browsing files (emacs and vim are ridicilous , and js editors are slow)
The only negative thing i found in sublime is that there is no option to move side bar to the right side.

Light Table is like a unfinished sublime ripoff. It is open source but it just feels unifinshed , many features are missing.

Many editors dont have option to open current html code in browser (even those written in freaking html/...). Sublime is the only one that has it by default . Having that option is crucial and making it to work on other editors is hard and unintuitive.

I understood what emacs and vim are all about , i am not hating those editors , I just never felt I need that much complexity to write the code.
I never needed that much shortcuts anyway because you spend more time thinking and testing than actually writing the code.
>>
>>51895513
>Many editors dont have option to open current html code in browser
As far as I'm aware, brackets has it as an advertised feature, code can do it with a json file in the .vscode folder and atom, being the same base as vscode, probably has similar functionality
>>
Does anyone else find it odd that most web dev (even if it's only front-end design only) jobs ask for a CS degree?
>>
>>51895513
>>51895709
>opening current html in browser
What exactly is the use for that functionality? I've never used it and don't really see why I'd need something like that.
>>
>>51898755
It's basically just the HTML equivalent of build. In Atoms' (i think, maybe it's Brackets) case, the changes actually show up in real time
>>
>>51894372
> high response time
> java
>>
What kind of language should i use if i want to generate simple text based html pages on the server side? (so the generated site cant contain client side scripts and stuff just simple html tags)
>>
>>51899694
Ruby on Rails most likely. Maybe python or php. Depends on what syntax you like. You certainly dont need anything more powerful than that
>>
>>51892252
> all I've ever used is PHP for back-end
> It's pretty much the standard
maybe that's because you only know fucking php
>>
>>51899741
What would be more "powerful" than ruby,python and php?
>>
>>51899694
any lang that can render templates

>generate
what do you mean, though...
>>
>>51899807
Java, scala, c#/asp, php/hiphop and I would suspect node.
>>
>>51899694
php if you want something easy to get up and running
python if you want to actually enjoy the syntax of the language you're writing and dont mind extra setup and learning

rails is a bit bloated for what you want, but you might learn something new from doing that
>>
Reminder that you should learn Go.
>>
>>51899807
ruby with rails has a shitton of gems to reuse so you dont have to write a lot of code

generally all of those languages are powerful though, its more about speed these days which all those languages are very slow. nodejs, golang, or something like elixir are fast.
>>
>>51899830
Ruby does have the nicest syntax to people starting out. Though setting it up on windows can be troublesome on any given version though.
>>
>>51899888
>js
>fast
This meme needs to die
>>
>>51900067
JS is comfortably one of if not the fastest interpreted language(popular one, at least). Google especially are throwing a lot of weight behind optimizing it.
>>
>>51900067
People keep forgetting that node.js is best used for one page applications. Developing a stacked website with a ton of pages isn't ideal.
>>
File: 1405334591971.png (223 KB, 506x662) Image search: [Google]
1405334591971.png
223 KB, 506x662
>>51900067
if you read they're comparing node to php, python, and rails
>>
>>51900115
No one cares if it's one of the fastest interpreted languages out there. In back end it doesn't matter if you need to compile it or not what matters is how fast it is.

>>51900154
Yeah. Node is fine for small one page sites and prototypes. Anything else and you should be using something else.
>>
>>51900496
>what matters is how fast it is.
Except that doesn't matter for the majority of webpages. It doesn't matter if it takes 1ms or 5ms to run the code as long as the website loads within a second or so, and technically from a UX standpoint you have up to 7 seconds.
Unless your website by its nature/expansion demands efficiency you might as well focus on readable/easy code options.
>>
>>51899741
>>51899830
Thanks guys, bit of a conflicting info there, maybe my response to the anon below can help clarifying things.

>>51899815
Well lets say i have a front page (myshit.org) with a button with two states. Then depending on the state of the button the content of an other page (myshit.org/state) changes.
The reason why need server side stuff is that devices will send GET requests to the site (myshit.org/state) and will parse out text based data from the response.
>>
>>51900623
It really doesn't matter.
Ruby if you want expressive code/string manipulation.
Python if you like python.
Php if you like a mixture of insanity and realy easy interop with a database.
Node might suit you best, I suspect, since it's just the one/two page site but it really doesnt matter in any meaningful way,.
>>
>>51890194
So where/how can I learn to design a better/modern site?
>>
hey guys, does my website look a bit better now? http://www.nask.co/
I'll now change that "Speech settings" thing. would changing the class of the span to "btn btn-default" make it look acceptable?

>>51900712
learn html5 and css3?
>>
>>51900669
I am not sure if this is helpful but i only have real experience with C and C like languages, i know shit about webdev but the task seems easy for me. I use windows.
>>
>>51900782
I know both, and have built some sites, although they're not amazing looking sites.
I mainly have a problem with the web design aspect
>>
>>51901117
If you like c-style then php and node both fit that. Both are dynamically typed so that might throw you for a bit. PHP is probably closer to C-like than javascript
>>
>>51900782
anyone? does that "Speech settings" button look OK?

>>51901139
well, as you can see in my own site... I suck at design. I guess you could use (and learn from) some framework, like I did...

>>51901117
learn Go :P
>>
>>51901206
What does dynamically means in this context?
>>
Somebody please tell me AngularJS doesn't usually suck this much. For a simple navigation menu, I need the following:

a(ng-repeat="option in navigation.options track by $index" ng-click="navigation.setTab($index)" ng-class="{active : navigation.tab === $index}" href="#/{{option.text}}") {{option.text}}

That's without hardcoding indices, and there's more controller code just to deal with the view.
>>
>>51901723
>using javascript for a fucking navigation bar
This is why everybody hates you and AngularJS.
>>
>>51901221
The links to the left on the nav are bland. Also, set a favicon if you have an icon/logo.
>>
>>51901787
>hurrrr
It's a nontraditional application (even by 'Web 2.0' standards) that normal hyperlinks would break. If you have a better idea of how to asynchronously load complex content without using iframes or jQuery, I'd love to hear it. Binding seems to be the best approach, especially in terms of usability, I just wish it wasn't so ugly.
>>
>>51901794
>The links to the left on the nav are bland.
what do you mean? sorry, english is not my first language.

>Also, set a favicon if you have an icon/logo.
yeah, I forgot to do this. thanks.
>>
>>51901937
Please tell me about this "complex content" in your navbar and how it's so complex that it requires javascript to render and update it.
>>
>>51902015
God, I can smell the condescension. The navbar is in a modal, that is rendered as a non-iframe-element on top of a page. Clicking a nav element should obviously mark that element as "active" by adding a given class to it, and should also load certain content in a pane adjacent to the navbar.

It's not a hard problem, but the async loading of any content is probably going to require JS or something like it. Such things as SPAs and responsive applications exist, you know.

>but people who care about their privacy have javascript disabled, scrub
This application is definitely not something those people would be interested in anyway, so it's a non-issue.
>>
File: bigdata.jpg (83 KB, 510x614) Image search: [Google]
bigdata.jpg
83 KB, 510x614
>>51900343
>>
File: cat.jpg (57 KB, 470x631) Image search: [Google]
cat.jpg
57 KB, 470x631
>>
File: drunk.jpg (43 KB, 402x480) Image search: [Google]
drunk.jpg
43 KB, 402x480
>>
>>51901356
it means that
$x = 1; 
$x = "hello"
$x += 1

is valid.
>>
File: js.png (157 KB, 515x656) Image search: [Google]
js.png
157 KB, 515x656
>>
>>51902325
But how much is x in the end? It separates string from number although the name of variable is the same?
>>
>>51902489
dynamically typed means that variables don't have single types (int, char*, whatever), so one variable can store anything.
>>
>>51902489
if you were to print x I believe it would return '1'. The point is the the variables type can be swapped indiscriminately. A variable that equallled and int can be changed to a string or a float with no repercussions except functions that assume a certain type will be passed the them. In that case the interpretor will try its best but the results can be assumed to be unxepected
>>
>>51902326
It should have been a donkey.
>>
I read on the creative commons page that you can also attribute the creators of images on a seperate page with creative commons licenses. This also happens on Wikipedia where you have to click on an image to see who created it.

Now the website i'm building has one page with thousands of extensive attributions. Is this legal?
>>
Best lightweight css framework for a personal project?
>>
http://mezzanine.jupo.org
Why do you use PHP? Exactly what language features does it have over python? I know you need WordPress (because a login system and a blog isn't an easy project /sarcasm), but there are clearly better options.

No, really, tell me python isn't a better language than PHP for people who don't like programming.

>>51904496
None.

CSS is simple enough already, it's not a scripting language so you can safely use replace to change things fast.

Use as few frameworks as possible.

>>51900343
What if it's not actually fast? What if Node only opens and closes connections fast? You'd have to do a massive project in Node before you can really say.
>>
How do you guys write your HTML? Static? Templates? Library functions that generate it? Macros?
>>
Can someone check my snytax? I keep getting Uncaught SyntaxError Illegal TOKEN

$.ajax({method:"POST",url:"callback-ism.php",data:{action:"setpoint",email:email,points:O,sec:s(email,O,token)}})
>>
>>51905241
Might depend on what email, O, and s(...) evaluate to
>>
File: Fuck this shit.png (23 KB, 1279x113) Image search: [Google]
Fuck this shit.png
23 KB, 1279x113
>>51905288
email: [email protected] (no joke)
O: 147
s(...)= I believe the whole thing repeated
>>
>>51905337
what is it for
>>
>>51905390
I'm running out of time my man, please help me out here. Another kid told me to remove "@params" line but I legit am lost
>>
>>51905337
>email not in quotes
Are you literally retarded
>>
File: yeeee.png (23 KB, 1279x133) Image search: [Google]
yeeee.png
23 KB, 1279x133
>>51905474
Nice we're getting somewhere, thank you very much for your input

but now it say's S is undefined!? What the hell is left to fix
>>
>>51905508
you should probably define s
>>
>>51905420
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:stackoverflow.com/questions/34324931/understanding-and-how-to-use-this-functionality
>running out of time
>for a php arcade game
>>
>>51905553
>>51905525
GOT IT

Just deleted S and replaced token with 11.5, now it say's

Object: {Readystate: 1]

Yet nothing happened??
>>
>>51905575
you have to be at least 18 years old to use this site
>>
>>51894851
Lisp syntax is simpler
>>
>>51905586
I'm literally trying to fucking fix this and I'm close to defining "s", and you choose to act presumptuous and assume I'm a minor, noose yourself
>>
>>51905621
*unzips big words*
>>
>>51905628
>>presumptuous
>>big word

NEET detected
>>
>>51905660
NEETs are more educated and well read than wagecucks because they have so much free time it is invested in education and bettering their minds and bodies.
>>
File: me.jpg (451 KB, 812x850) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
451 KB, 812x850
>>51905660
>can't understand simple javascript
literal retard detected
>>
>>51905691
>>posts pathetic weaboo

Do you have a Neckbeard by any chance?
>>
File: me.png (145 KB, 448x463) Image search: [Google]
me.png
145 KB, 448x463
>>51905724
girls cant grow neckbeards
>pathetic
i have a bf who loves me and stuff and i think i also have a pretty good understanding of javascript
>>
>>51905768
I was scrolling the front page when I saw your post and I just want to say that you're cringy as fuck.
>>
File: 1390876548.jpg (157 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1390876548.jpg
157 KB, 640x480
>>51905768
>>
>>51905837
oh
is that why he stopped replying to me

>>51905867
>>>/b/
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>51905768
Damn, not >>51905837 but the kid you were insulting originally but fuck

Can you guys still help me fix dis code?

$.ajax({method:"POST",url:"callback-ism.php",data:{action:"setpoint",email:"[email protected]",points:147,sec:s("[email protected]",147,token)}})
>>
File: 1409364046266.jpg (306 KB, 1680x1340) Image search: [Google]
1409364046266.jpg
306 KB, 1680x1340
>>51905893
>>
>>51905893
Pretty much,

now help me fix my JS code or blow my high
>>
I've been working on a little snippet programming site, basically codepen + websockets.

I'm still just building it, and would appreciate any feedback or questions

http://168.235.82.152/#source_842075306
>>
>>51905908
no, but I can sign you up for a spam apocalypse..
>>
>>51905893
>>51905768
>girls cant grow neckbeards

Those two boards are where you belong. Fuck off with your gender bullshit, no one gives a fuck that you're a grill.
>>
going to start 1 of 4 web dev classes for college next quarter, what should I expect? i know we're mostly going to talk about html and css
>>
>>51907548
An enormous waste of money and time.
HTML/css can be learnt in an afternoon.
>>
>>51889441
Node is my specialty, but I tend to avoid it for projects that I'm working on a team. It's not that node/javascript itself is bad as much as js is one of those languages everyone knows, but everyone sucks at because most javascript development is focused on not having to do any javascript development. Hence things like angular or jQuery.

And async is hard for people who aren't used to it, which is most people. I got lucky in that I was exposed to it early on and learned to do all my programming in an async-friendly way. But when I work node projects with other people, I end up doing very little coding and a lot of teaching.

So my short opinion on node is that it's great fun, but there's not a chance in hell I'd suggest it for anything at work unless I was the only person who would touch it.
>>
Who here Angular2?
>>
>>51908060
How is asynchronous hard? It's just callbacks?

Also, people who started in web are kind of... Off as programmers. The best programmers started with microcontrollers, they typically have a brilliant understanding of memory and code structure in general, except those horrible variable names, eugh.

I got lucky, I started in embedded, went to oop, and now I'm trying to make a name for myself in web.
>>
So i applied for a web design job

They got back asking for sample web pages etc

For future reference, what kind of stuff would you expect to see in some kind of web portfolio/resume for web internships/jobs?

Really I only have a few basic homework sites made in bootstrap with some JQuery, I feel like I need something more special
>>
>>51909060
Sites that work.

Past that, responsive pages(mobile first, buzzword here.) Seriously though, make sure your shit works on mobile as well as other devices. That's almost mandatory.

Different layouts(X columns, etc.)
>>
>>51909031
Apparently the fact something can be done out of order, or even finish much later (not at the point it was called on line #XYZ) confuses the shit out of people. I don't understand why.
>>
>>51909083
So if I just had some basic sites with a nav bar, sample paragraphs, a picture, and it worked on all viewports it would be ok?

Because I feel like im screwing around if I send in what seems like 10 minutes of actual work, but I cant think of much else
>>
>>51909128
Be hard on yourself.

Are your designs something you would use? If not; why? Would you be happy paying someone else to design what you've made?

At least for design, keep designing. It's like drawing, constantly doodle and experiment. So keep experimenting with ideas for sites, different ways of implementing X functionality and displaying it to the user.

If it looks like 10 minutes of work, chances are it was. You don't want -every- site you design in your portfolio to look that way but you don't want anything that looks completely unusable while being pretty either.

I'm not sure of the legality of it but you could "reimagine" popular sites(or make a theme and link to that.)
>>
>>51909095
My first exposure to real asynchronous was c#, it seemed normal that the begin and end functions could be called any time, since users could connect at any time.

>>51909176
Not him, but my designs are super simple, most people hate it and I love it. Feels spacious, uncluttered, easy. Then again I make it pretty obvious from my blog that I'm a developer first and designer second.
>>
>>51900782
http://nask.co/L/PQDa8Eushh
>>
rip
>>
>>51905218
I have 2 template levels. One is generated on server start/reload with things like configuration, state variables, file hashes. Then I split that template into an array and concatenate it with more dynamic strings on client requests.
>>
What's the use of <dfn> in html5? It doesn't do anything.
>>
>>51896697
They don't really ask anymore.
>>
File: halp.png (7 KB, 683x92) Image search: [Google]
halp.png
7 KB, 683x92
>>51888021
finally got into stored procedures

is it possible to calculate dates in mysql?
or would it technically be faster to do it with PHP and call the function with the needed variables
>>
>>51913799
It's possible, but not going to speed up your queries.
>>
>>51913839
kk thanks wont worry then
>>
>>51912988
It's for computers who try to understand the structure of you document. Div and span soup has no meaning. CSS doesn't give any meaning either.
>>
>>51913799
>0000-00-00
lol what the fuck kind of database is this
>>
I need a project to start on. I don't mind if it were a lengthy project, just something to keep me occupied and so I can keep refining my PHP/HTML/JS knowledge.
>>
File: homepage.fw.png (101 KB, 1020x1020) Image search: [Google]
homepage.fw.png
101 KB, 1020x1020
pls rate my design its my first ever :^)
>>
>>51915770
Probably doesn't allow nulls.
>>
>>51917686
You don't know shit about color schemes atleast
>>
>>51917686
It makes me feel sad for some reason
>>
>>51918333
>>51918561
Say something nice at least.
>>
>>51918599
There are more suited platforms than 4chan if you want a hugbox, faggot
>>
>>51918599
Just keep trying anon
>>
File: tqHARym.png (21 KB, 110x118) Image search: [Google]
tqHARym.png
21 KB, 110x118
>>51918719
>hugbox
>>
Well I spent the last two years doing PHP. Used it in all my college projects and built a framework this semester.

Started using Python (Django) and holy shit, it has paid off big time. It's amazing how quick you can get a CRUD app done in Django. Python is far more elegant than PHP.
>>
>>51918972
Is that framework open source?
>>
>>51917686
> muh minimalism meme
>>
>>51919084
>python
>elegant
>>
>>51919160
was directed at >>51919084
>>
File: 34674.gif (727 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
34674.gif
727 KB, 500x500
HEY ANONS I'M NEW HERE

I WILL TRY TO LEARN ALL OF THIS AND MAKE IT MY JOB !
>>
>>51919249
ganbate onii-chan
>>
>>51919084
Most Python developers just code libraries for Django or Flask. In PHP there is not a big framework available, and that means most CRUDs are unknown for junior devs, unless they investigate the available tools of their current environment/framework.
>>
>>51889441
I'm a big fan of the promise async model now that I've had a chance to mess around with it. Outside of that I'm not a fan though.
>>
>>51919318
>In PHP there is not a big framework available

...but anon, there are tons of PHP frameworks both large and small.
>>
>>51919381
For web development, most Python devs are told to learn Django.
But the percentage of PHP devs using MV* frameworks is not exactly similar.
>>
>>51919249
Welcome, senpai
>>
>>51919235
Yeah
>>
>>51919318
Laravel is a popular one and follows the similar workflow to Django or ASP.NET

I watched a lecture series on Laravel and am going to write a simple CRUD app using it tonight.

Does anyone know if there's a similar feature to djangoadmin in Laravel? The admin feature in Django blew me away.
>>
>>51919650
You have to create the administrator on your own.
https://github.com/zofe/rapyd-laravel
Find a good Authorization library and a ACL for starters.
>>
>>51888021
gimme an idea of something to make

I'm a beginner

pls respond
>>
>tfw someone stars your repo but you realise they're using a script to auto star.

How can I become a programming rockstar?
>>
>>51919783
build a GUI in mongoDB to automate building MEAN stacks with dynamic programming in a robust distributed environment
>>
>>51919838
Great, now say it in English.

>>51919703
Can't help you if you don't tell us what languages you know.

>>51919569
Don't leave us hanging man, link?
>>
File: 1428777022567.png (1 MB, 1000x1412) Image search: [Google]
1428777022567.png
1 MB, 1000x1412
>>51920056
oreba o chin chin daisuki nanda yo
>>
File: floyd.png (16 KB, 90x99) Image search: [Google]
floyd.png
16 KB, 90x99
>>51920432
>>
Finished my account handling app :)
>>
Is there still money in writing Wordpress themes?
>>
Who /fucked/ here?
>>
>>51920922
Yes, peanuts.
>>
Just some small thing that I'm dragging out as long as possible because I'm lazy as hell. It's a little doodly to keep track of who's on what mat at a wrestling competition. Last year I helped my father with it and it was a nightmare doing it with powerpoint. Figure it would be easier if you can just click a couple things in the admin deal with Flask-Admin to add matches and other information.

My only frustration is I wish the boolean fields were a simple checkbox in the list views. Fairly annoying that making them editable brings up a small select box instead.

I was originally going to try and do it in C# with sqlite-net, but it's too much effort to relearn parts of C# for something that I can shit out in a few hours.
>>
>>51919084
Yep, Python has Django and Flask. I fucking love Flask. I need to pickup Django sometime, but I can't help but feel it'd be kind of pointless considering I'm content with Flask.

I need to try making something serious with it though.
>>
>>51921907
Does Flask have the Admin integration like Django?
>>
>>51921943
No, Flask doesn't have any 'batteries' include solutions. However, there's plenty of extensions that will fulfill the same functionality as Django if that's what you want.

If you want admin functionality you can look at Flask-Admin with SQLAlchemy (or any number of ORMs that Flask-Admin supports), there's a bunch of stuff that can do authorization and authentication though so you'll have to take your pick which one you like best.
>>
Hey /wdg/

I'm planning a big project which will involve thousands of database rows (going to use MySQL), users, forum, wiki, etc.

Should I use PHP (will write my own framework) or should I go with a Python framework such as Django?

I'm a fairly experienced PHP dev already, and I have some experience with Python, but barely any with Django.
>>
>>51921978
Flask-Security has been great for me
>>
>>51922821
Yeah, I used Flask-Login for a class assignment forever ago, looking back I should have plugged in Flask-Security to get all dem sweet features.
>>
>>51888665
>Also the CLI is called "artisan" and it talks about "crafting" we applications, which makes me sick to my stomach.
Funny coming from a Railsfag
>>
>>51922759
You should use node.js.
>>
>>51922945
please dont meme me
>>
>>51922938
>Funny coming from a Railsfag
This.

Also, the naming for some of Laravel components is pretty neat, e.g. Elixir, because one of its main purposes is mixing assets
>>
>>51922954
Just use whatever you want
>>
>Should I use PHP (will write my own framework)
no
>>
>>51922954
PHP is ugly and dying. If Python is you're only other choice, then you should go with Python.
>>
>>51922996
i'd rather have my own framework than a shitty framework like laravel

>>51922997
>ugly and dying
eh... php 7
>>
>>51923039
>php 7
Literally made for grandpas.
>>
>>51923039
perhaps i should have shortened that to
>Should I use PHP
>>
>>51923054
it's a lot less shitty at least

>>51923059
at least provide a reason
>>
>>51923075
Why would you write your own framework?

Give me three reasons why Laravel is shit.
>>
>I don't like X.
>I know, I'll just call it a meme to diminish its value!
I hate this meme.
>>
>>51922759
>Should I use PHP (will write my own framework)
Don't make your own. Just use one of already made and actively developed frameworks.

>or should I go with a Python framework such as Django?
That's fine.
>>
>>51923099
>too bloated
>artisan
>eloquent

>>51923117
What's the performance like between the two? I'm thinking Django would be faster than PHP because python, but havent been able to find anything to prove that yet
>>
>>51923172
>>artisan
If you think artisan is shit because of the naming, you're retarded. It's convenient for quickly making controllers, models, migrations, etc and useful for managing your project (up/down, route caching, custom commands, etc).

>>eloquent
Explain
>>
Reading these threads always makes me sad. You're all like lost children stuck in a forest that you can't get out of.
>>
I'm learning PHP and can't figure out the practical reason for using variable variables.
When do you use this, when you can fake similar thing with associative array?

I'm also interested in the cases in which I should use JavaScript's eval function. Both seem insecure and great for goofing up your code, but I may be wrong.
>>
File: D0PqGye.png (79 KB, 1268x896) Image search: [Google]
D0PqGye.png
79 KB, 1268x896
Can someone explain to me why this is secured, if it is? AngularJS protect against XSS just by default? Input is just normal input and it's stored as is plain text in mysql (secured against sql injection with bind params).

Is doing this enough to see that my site, or at least this page, is secured for XSS attacks?
>>
>>51922759
E L I X I R
L
I
X
I
R

>>51923103
;^)
>>
I know how to use jQuery and PHP but most shit ala angular seem gay as fuck to me do I really need to learn some of these glorified libraries to draw people's attention as a Web dev?
>>
File: 1431612651432.jpg (325 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
1431612651432.jpg
325 KB, 1200x1200
>>51923894
yes.
>>
>>51923172

How the fuck are you shitting on Laravel while asking fucking noob questions? I can't take shit you say seriously.
>>
>>51923873
i have no idea how angular works but you can't expect your website to be secure if you're applying security through javascript
>>
File: image.jpg (75 KB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75 KB, 245x245
>>51923894
You should
>>
>>51923894
AngularJS isn't a necessity in your case. Fuck, it isn't in most cases. If you want to gain attention it'll mostly come from proper use of CSS, JQuery, and animations if you so desire.
>>
>>51923873
>>51923894
>angular
>>>/out/
>>
>>51923957
I bet you use JQuery
>>
>>51923894
No. You'll be much better off learning html, css, js and whatever back end properly. You can figure out how to use the current flavor of the month framework fast once you've got a strong base. If all you know is how to use some meme framework you're gonna have a hard time finding a job once that meme has fallen out of popularity.
>>
>>51923922
Well the thing is, there is no security applied by me here, I expected the script blocks to act as html, but angular is escaping the blocks, so I'm wondering if I even need to think about user input sanitation at all..
>>
>>51924005
i don't get it
you save user input as it is? like, you might have
[script]alert('dick');[/script]
somewhere on your database, and you display that when it's requested because angular escapes it?

that's basically the opposite of secure, and even if it worked (which doesn't) it'd be extremely inefficient
>>
should I learn angular 1 right now or wait for Angular 2 to release? I hear its going to change a lot, so i dont want to waste my time learning old technology.
>>
>>51924005
I'm not sure, but the framework probably takes care of it for you. I know Laravel and some other frameworks do that automatically.
Try and give it some nasty input.
>>
>>51924159
i'm the other guy responding
this is what i dont understand, because i don't know angular. you could do this on laravel/whatever because you're still on backend, but angular is a frontend framework that (if i understand correctly) is used for making better user interfaces

security through javascript makes no sense
>>
>>51924131
Well the alternative is sanitizing the input in the php backend with filter_var($var, FILTER_SANITIZE_SPECIAL_CHARS); so <script> is saved as &#60;script&#39; or whatever the html symbols for <> are. My problem then is how do I convert it back, and how is that then different from displaying the raw input in the first place. I could of course keep the fucked up html sanitized input and display that but it eats up everything, such as line breaks, which I want.

>>51924159
I did, >>51923873 related
>>
>>51924222
>My problem then is how do I convert it back
take a look at the php htmlentities function and its counter part, html_entity_decode

>how is that different from displaying the raw input
because the html character code and the actual raw character are two different things, say i submit <b>dick</b>

if you don't sanitize through backend, it'd store
<b>dick</p>
on the database, and eventually it is going to display the word dick, in bold. sure angular might sanitize it for you through frontend but the xss (in this case simple markup html) is still there on your database

if you do sanitize through backend, it saves as
&lt;b&gt;bold&lt;/b&gt
, and it'd display as the string "<b>dick</b>". it's a string, not actual html

maybe this is not the point you're making so i'm sorry, i'm tired so i'm quite slow right now
>>
>>51924453
>because the html character code and the actual raw character are two different things
Hm, so you're saying the character < submitted by the user is not the same < decoded from <'s sanitized version from html_entity_decode? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Either way the backend is sending '<' to the frontend (since it's php that needs to be doing the decoding), but the < sent have a string version and a html version? If that's the case I very much understand the purpose of doing so, but I hope you'll understand my confusion when the character seen by me is the same regardless of its handling. If html_entity_decode actually converted the &#62; into &lt which the browser could understand I'd get it, but decode function just returns the < so it looks like the same as the one sanitized to &#62; in the first place.. But if this is not the case, I'm with you.
>>
>>51919783
>star script
What for do people need those?
>>
Please help me /g/
I am so lost.

I have no idea what I should do.
I am not even sure where I should start
there is so much debate here about what is good and bad and it is so conflicting.

should I just go though codecademy and learn:
html/css javascript jquery angularjs ruby and ruby on rails??

should I just learn c# like my father and use asp.net ?

what does /g/ suggest I do. I am open to whatever.
>>
>>51925371
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB0WvcxTbCA
>>
How do I get good enough for a front end developer job? I have a comp sci degree and math minor, but I'm depressingly mediocre at life. I have basic web development like html,CSS. I've been exposed to JavaScript,PHP,asp, and some other ones.

What's the most important shit to know for front end? I'm thinking about making my own website advertising myself. Would that be sufficient given my background?

Also how do I make webpages look aesthetic?
>>
>>51923984
I know those I just don't know if flavor-of-the-month frameworks are worth learning
>>
File: play_full_color.png (20 KB, 2154x1125) Image search: [Google]
play_full_color.png
20 KB, 2154x1125
/wdg/s opinion about the play framework for scala & java
>>
>>51925554
Front end is literally just combining functionality, performance, efficiency and aesthetics together.
>>
>>51923172
>I'm thinking Django would be faster than PHP because python
lolwut?
PHP is far faster than python(like, 5-10 times as fast). Python is probably competing with ruby for slowest language used in serious projects
>>
>>51926017
>java
>JVM
>>
>>51922997
>PHP is ugly and dying.
>You should use node.js.
So Javascript is beautiful?
>>
Built a Ton of sites and use php for dynamic sites, I want to build a back end for my websites using php, html css so I can add new content without doing it via phpmyadmin etc, any advice guys? Want a build sercure login and interface for adding and removing values from my site databases but no idea where to start
>>
>>51926678
read o reilly's "modern php" by josh lockhart
it's 200 pages but you don't really have to read it all, it'll teach you how you should program using the latest features and extensions in php (such as hashing and pdo for your secure login)

i fucking love that small book
>>
>>51926678
Php and MySQL for Dynamic Web Sites by Larry Ullman.

I literally build an entire webapp for my class that registers users, logs in, stores data to mysql, displays data to users, pulls data from various sites, all from using this book. I did not know any php before this book. I highly recommend it, it will show the proper way to set up php files and organize code. It is highly rated from reviews. You can torrent it, but I suggest supporting the author for writing such a good book.
>>
>>51926857
>>51926748
Thanks brehs

I'll order both books, I believe in supporting authors
>>
>>51926632
it is if you think of javascript as assembly, coffeescript as python and typescript as C#
>>
>>51927213
Might be worth checking them out online before committing to them(though if you like what you see you should support the author). You don't even need to torrent them, googling the name +"pdf" will probably result in a few college sites that uploaded them for their students
>>
File: postgetredirect.jpg (75 KB, 693x631) Image search: [Google]
postgetredirect.jpg
75 KB, 693x631
Laravel noob here, is this the right way of doing Post/Redirect/Get? Page basically has a form on top and the results on the bottom, if it's a GET request to the page it'll show the cached complete list, if it's a POST request it'll instead display the results of the query.

Just wondering if anyone else has worked with resource searching/advanced searching in Laravel or other frameworks and if there's a better/standard way. Doing forms for other processes has been a lot easier because they're typically just singular actions like inserting/updating/deleting, but for this I need it to persist all inputs which is annoying for everything but text inputs, e.g. checked state of a specific checkbox in an array of checkboxes, then I need to do clean bookmarkable URLs of the search parameters
>>
>>51926126

So what do I learn brah? Specific frameworks, what?

I assume it's like JavaScript definitely.

Then like... angular.js? node.js? jquery?

I don't really know, I mean I could probably just google it. But 4chan is smart right?
>>
>>51928099
Looks simple enough for a GET form, with a default value.
Don't forget to validate the data.
>>
inb4 404
>>
>>51930001
never
>>
>>51888180
Shitposting aside,

Why the serious fuck are you still using PHP?
>>
>>51930595
It's an easy language, it just does what you want it to.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.