[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are the refurbished 4k Y50's on Newegg not more popular?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: lenovo-laptop-y50-cover-6.jpg (101 KB, 1060x596) Image search: [Google]
lenovo-laptop-y50-cover-6.jpg
101 KB, 1060x596
Why are the refurbished 4k Y50's on Newegg not more popular?

As long as you stay away from the Keplar 860M versions, It seems like an amazing deal.

Mine looked brand new and I dropped a Crucial SSD in it all for $800.

Specs:
4710HQ
16GB RAM
Maxwell 860M/960M 4Gb
512GB CX Crucial SSD
3840x2160 48Hz IPS
Dual band Wireless AC

Very snappy, super thin, and no heating issues at all.

And before people say you can't play any games at 4k, yes you can. Games like LoL, CS Go, Dota, and older games run perfect at 4k.

You can also play newer games like Tomb Raider at 4k if you turn settings to medium.

For games that have to be at 1080P, the display scales down nicely.
>>
>48Hz
good god
>>
>>51884978
Its not that bad. It's IPS, not TN.

I use a 144hz Asus monitor with my desktop and I manage to play CS on the laptop display just fine.
>>
Terrible build quality, terrible fan design, mediocre IPS panel, extremely heavy and shit battery (although all gaming laptops have these issues).

I owned this and its predecessor, the y500. This is a step down in every way except for a not quite as shitty screen, arguably better audio, and better GPU.
>>
>>51885541
I'd have to disagree on a lot of your points.

The build quality is great, what particularly do you not like about it?

Same with the fan config, this is the only laptop I have had that does not throttle at all.

If you set the GPU settings to use the integrated graphics and use window's power saver, I can get through my 4 hour class with some to spare.

I agree with the yellows being poor on the screen, I am using a calibration profile that helped it a lot.
>>
I bought a new one during this summer, fucking love it no ragrets at all. I don't even play games on pc anyways only once in a while. Cheapest 4k experience by far too
>>
File: 1446728390594.gif (2 MB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
1446728390594.gif
2 MB, 1200x675
>>51885643
The matte plastic feels cheap. The brushed metal feels really scratchable despite how premium it looks and I actually did scratch it significantly when trying to unscrew the the back. They used really shit screws too so I ended up stripping 3 of them and being unable to remove one of those screws. Luckily, the screen was acting up too so I sent it into Lenovo and they managed to replace that screw. The chasis is really thin and not in a good way as I can hear the reverberations from the fan/hdd when I'm on my bed.

Throttling isn't the issue, it's the fact that it's always on when the y500 would keep itself off and turn on seldomly unless you were using the GPU. The y50 spins up during just about every action and even spins while idle.

General gaming laptop issues have convinced me to never purchase another one given that it's more expensive for similar hardware and the only plus you get from it is the portability but even that's beaten by an ultrabook with active cooling. I couldn't go anywhere without the power cord for both the y50 and y500 but I can go the entire day at school with just my surface pro 3.

subscribe to my blog.
>>
>>51885799
This is the kind of stupid pleb who needs a gaming laptop - The kind who can't even spell "regret" properly in an age where most Web browsers have a built in spelling checker.
>>
> Lenovo
> but not a Thinkpad

I bet you think HP is a good laptop manufacturer too.
>>
>>51886211
I did the same thing with the screws, lol.

As for the cooling and power, you have to understand that this is leagues more powerful than a surface pro.

It seems you just don't like gaming laptops, because this is the best one I have came across so far.
>>
>>51886262
Don't need a Xeon, don't need double precision.
>>
>>51885541
>Terrible build quality, terrible fan design, mediocre IPS panel, extremely heavy and shit battery
This but this also applies to every gaming laptop.
>>51886315
>It seems you just don't like gaming laptops, because this is the best one I have came across so far.
That this unpolished turd is the best you've come across is really telling of gaming laptops, isn't it? Seriously, the entire concept is flawed.

Bonus points for the ideapad line and specifically the y series being infamous for terrible build quality and awful cooling.
>>
>>51886262
>I bet you think HP is a good laptop manufacturer too.
HP do make good laptops though, long as you avoid anything that isn't an elitebook or an omen.
>>
>>51886337
The point was that outside of the Thinkpad line, Lenovo makes shitty laptops. If you absolutely need a gaming laptop, ASUS or Sager would be a better choice.
>>
>>51886355
This is what I've had so far.

XPS M170 (a gift)
XPS M1710 (warranty replacement)
XPS M1730 (warranty replacement)
Alienware M17x R1 (warranty replacement)
Some Toshiba thing

Everyone overheated and was utter shit.

My largest complaint about this laptop is the lack of media keys and no 970M option. For $800 I don't see how you can get anything close to this.
>>
>>51886384
Those laptops are so bulky though. I wanted something more portable.
>>
>>51886427
Of course it's going to be good if your only frames of reference are Dell craptops and Toshiba.

The fact that the Lenovo piece of shit is a cheap piece of shit does not mitigate the fact that it is still a piece of shit.
>>
>>51886484
I still don't understand what's wrong with it.

Its slim, doesn't overheat, and is fairly powerful.

It does what is intended to do, especially if you tweak some stuff about it. Like the CPU multiplier and switch the graphics over.

What is it lacking?
>>
>>51886576
>doesn't overheat
Oh yes it does.
>fairly powerful
Relative to other notebooks perhaps.

It's going to suffer from the exact same thing every other gaming laptop does. It's going to kill itself between a year from the purchase date up to three years after, depending on how you treat it. If you treat it like you would a desktop, then you *might* get more, provided you clean the fans regularly. But then what point does a gaming laptop have over a desktop? If you're not treating it like a desktop, you're looking at a severely reduced lifespan.
>>
>>51886631
I have had mine for months and it has not over heat once. I even have my GPU over clocked at 135mhz core and 350mhz memory.

If yours is overheating, it must be really dusty.

And plus, as a student I didn't feel like carrying my desktop around. My laptop can play most of my games just as well and I can take it to class.
>>
>>51886749
>My laptop can play most of my games just as well and I can take it to class.
Bwahahaha so you're one of those autists sitting in class with a gaming laptop?

Regardless, give it time. It wil fry itself. I hope you will remember that you were warned.
>>
>>51886843
If you turn the keyboard lights off, it is not flashy at all. It doesn't look like a gaming laptop, its super thin.

And if it lasts a year, that is worth it. I can get the next generation then. This whole laptop costs around the same as a 980ti.
>>
>>51886903
>This whole laptop costs around the same as a 980ti.
And doesn't perform anywhere near as well. You could have built a cheap desktop that outperforms it and bought a laptop with better battery life for the same cost, or for the cost of two you could have gotten both a very good desktop and a very good ultrabook.
>>
>>51886931
Nigga what?

A 4710HQ at only base (no turbo) performs around a 4670k which is $220

A 960M is identical to a 750ti (except this 860/960 is 4Gb not 2gb)
$150

16Gb of ddr3
$100

The SSD
$150

That leaves $180 for a motherboard, 4k screen, keyboard, wireless ac card, and speakers.

I have done the desktop/laptop route. The laptop was not powerful enough and the desktop was a pain to move between dorms.

I hated gaming laptops too, but since this one actually works it makes it very appealing.
>>
File: 1447360842227.png (46 KB, 221x308) Image search: [Google]
1447360842227.png
46 KB, 221x308
>>51886241
>Not knowing what a typo is
Good lord, cover yourself up senpai, your retardation is showing.
>>
>>51887069
Says the retard who makes typos.
>>
>>51887054
You're being deliberately dishonest now, inflating prices and making disingenuous comparisons. None of those points need to be addressed and you know it.

The laptop not being powerful enough? Come on, you know that's bullshit. Moving between dorms? Oh you poor thing, you move a matx box once a year.
>>
File: 0001_0035.png (163 KB, 566x227) Image search: [Google]
0001_0035.png
163 KB, 566x227
>>51887097
>Making typos correlates to intelligence
You're on a roll today, ain't ya?
>>
>>51887156
Show me a parts list with uninflated prices then. I just googled the part and looked at amazon.

My desktop was a corsair 600t, it was huge. My laptop was satelitte and I could play cs go on it at 60fps when I visited family on breaks.

I can fit my PC in my backpack and play cs go at 3840x2160 at very high settings and keep above 80 fps. I think that is amazing. If people didn't want portable gaming machines, consoles wouldn't exist.
>>
>>51887156
>>51887250
Couldn't*

As for the 960M vs the 750ti, it is the same card.

The maxwell 860M/960M/Alienware Alpha GTX/750ti are all the same card. The 750ti has a bit high memory clock, but that is it.

And for the 4710HQ I get 615 on Cinebench with the clocks at turbo and 550 if I let it stay at the base. The 4670k gets similar scores.
>>
A gaming laptop is NEVER a good buy. Always made out of plastic shit and always cuts corners somewhere.
>>
>>51887250
>I just googled the part and looked at amazon
So you're not lying you're just being clueless, is that what you're saying?
>My desktop was a corsair 600t, it was huge
You made a poor choice therefore another, just as poor choice is the answer? This is creationist tier arguing.
>when I visited family on breaks.
That's just golden. You visit your family an then you sit there playing games on your laptop.
>As for the 960M vs the 750ti, it is the same card.
If you don't understand why this is a poor comparison then I won't go into the technical details for you. Even ignoring this, the 750ti is old and there are better cards at more attractive price points.
>CPU comparison
Yeah, because comparing a laptop CPU pegged at turbo to an unlocked CPU at stock is totally valid. This doesn't need an explanation either.

You're really grasping at straws now, aren't you?
>>
File: 1410576498388.png (276 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1410576498388.png
276 KB, 1280x720
>>51886903
Not the guy you've been arguing with (I'm the other guy) but if the laptop was resell-able, I wouldn't be bashing it as hard as I am. Even if it does last a year, You're going to sell it for half of it's purchasing price at best.

I don't need to be able to game wherever I go and I bike everywhere and don't own a car so my needs are a little bit different from yours but I would honestly invest in a proper desktop setup. I don't own a desktop and don't plan to for a while but I still bought a 2k monitor to dock my SP3 into when I'm at home. There's a fundamental productivity difference in using a laptop screen to do work versus using something like even a 22 inch monitor to do the same work.

Regarding your statement here >>51886315
I used to look only at gaming laptops too but in time, I found that there was more to a device than specs. The SP3 is much more efficient to get work done. While the y50 is leagues more powerful than the SP3, that still doesn't excuse the piss poor battery life that comes from just slapping parts together and calling it a "design". I could see a reason for why people would need such powerful hardware in a portable form factor but those people go for mobile workstations instead, not gaming laptops.

Donate to my patreon.
>>
>>51887432
A lot of people but PC parts off of amazon and you have yet to provide a PC build.

And during month long breaks, I tend to play some games. I don't see what is wrong with that.

"You are wrong, but I am not going to tell you why"

And I compared both BASE CLOCKS and Turbo.
>>
>>51885027
>Its not that bad.
god bless you
>>
>>51886241
that's actually a reference to a movie
>>
>>51887575
>A lot of people but PC parts off of amazon
A lot of people are mouthbreathing knuckledraggers that should have been aborted after birth too. Thing is, we know you're being dishonest now because you know you can't use amazon for computer parts, that's why you used newegg in the OP.
>you have yet to provide a PC build.
Fine, if you need me to spoonfeed you. http://www.logicalincrements.com/
>"You are wrong, but I am not going to tell you why"
If you don't understand why I'm not going to make long posts educating you. Suffice to say, you shouldn't be posting.
>And I compared both BASE CLOCKS and Turbo.
And you're still comparing it to a stock k series processor so it's still dishonest. You're still up there with the religious muppets claiming to have disproven evolution.
>>
>>51887744
Unplug your precious desktop from the wall and tell me how many fps you get nerd.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.