[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What makes Lisp the premier AI language?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: L.jpg (211 KB, 350x437) Image search: [Google]
L.jpg
211 KB, 350x437
What makes Lisp the premier AI language?
>>
Lisp as a AI lang is an old meme.
>>
Homoiconicity
Domain specific languages
>>
>>51883699
Lisp has not been used for AI since the 80's, except in one case where it was used in the winning entry for the kaggle higgs boson classification task.
>>
Functional languages tend to be better for AI type things, they tend to be more mathematical in their implementation and thus easier to implement all of that theory shit that you need to learn about as part of CS. They're designed by clever people for other clever people that can't see a world outside of their theory work. Also the reason Haskell is used for AI stuff just now as well.
>>
>>51884006
>I have literally no idea what I'm saying: the post
>>
For AI research no one cares what you languages you program in these days. What's more important are the algorithms you use.

Although I have used logo in research.
>>
>>51883699
meme effect
>>
>>51884148
False. What's important is that your language allows you to make use of cudnn.
>>
>>51883781
>Homoiconicity

Mainly this, say you're doing grammatical evolution, its way easier to do if your language has the ability to treat itself as data.
>>
>>51884450
>My anus has lips!
>>
Why use Lisp when you can use Prolog?
>>
Python is probably more popular in AI research/prototyping these days.
>>
>>51883699
>L.jpg
where can I download this vaporwave album?
>>
>>51885718
Prolog is even worse than lisp in every single way. Even a literal meme is better than prolog.
>>
>>51885832
This. Some people also use C++, and some tards even use lua (torch), but python is the most popular.
>>
>>51884006
currently on an AI program here
if i was ever told to begin using LISP as my main language i would quit immediately
>>
>>51886182
Modern AI algorithms are inherently side-effect free inside each epoch.
>>
>>51886093

AI programming is best approached through a symbolic representation of knowledge, Prolog is the best option for that.
>>
>>51886270
-9203803948209384/10, it's like you're legitimately trying to be as obvious as possible.
>>
Lisp was created explicitly for AI at MIT's AI Lab.

They believed, when Lisp was conceived in the late 50's, that Lisp would give 70's computers human-like intelligence.
>>
>>51886313
Lisp was actually made to prove mathematical ideas.
>>
AI is old for a computer science subject. Almost as old as CS itself. Lisp is an old language, and was far superior at text processing than its contemporaries. They're were dedicated machines designed for running lisp, and outside of those there was also a lot of work put into optimising it, so you didn't suffer on execution time.
>>
File: LISP_machine.jpg (784 KB, 1536x2032) Image search: [Google]
LISP_machine.jpg
784 KB, 1536x2032
>>51886490
Meant to include this.

So basically, it was the AI language by default: there was no reason not to use it at the time.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.