[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>TFW your company's IT department just tosses out perfectly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 6
File: guiyu-ewaste[1].jpg (184 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
guiyu-ewaste[1].jpg
184 KB, 800x533
>TFW your company's IT department just tosses out perfectly good blackberrys, business laptops, desktops, monitors, and other electronics when they are out of warranty.

Seriously. I go into the boiler room all the time, and there is a 4x4x4 box of perfectly good Dell latitudes and blackberry 9930s, that they are paying people to recycle. It boggles my mind how they are just pissing money away, when they could easily sell this stuff. I've heard that even the CEO flipped out when he heard they toss this stuff, and they still continue to do it. Despite not being a IT heavy company, they claim that they "don't have time to deal with it".

Does anyone else have to deal with an IT department that just wastes stuff like this?
>>
what exactly do you want them to do? You can't possibly expect that they'd sell them individually on craigslist or waste resources shipping them through amazon
>>
>>51880870
Make friends with IT
They let you pick through for free hardware

Problem solved
>>
>>51880893
How about hire a guy to fucking sell them.
>>
>>51880893
nigga, i'd do it for like five percent of what i make. they can tell me to come by whenever they need something tossed and i'd pick it up. wtf, i hear about this shit happening all the time. i need to get into the pc recycling business.
>>
>>51880928
that still doesn't rectify the severely fucking stupid system and failure to exploit a possible revenue stream. these people can't even into capitalism, i swear.
>>51880947
fucking this
>>
>>51880947
I don't think you understand friend. No one wants your outdated shit hardware. You are just losing money.
>>
>>51880870
for big companies it is more bother than it's worth to resell old electronic equipment. Most companies now are volunteering for sustainability schemes and their old equipment gets donated or recycled.
>>
>>51880947
>hire guy to sell old hardware
>end up paying him more than the hardware makes you
>>
>>51880984
>outdated shit hardware
do they have a decade long warranty? it sounds like perfectly good condition equipment from less than five years ago.
>>
>>51880870
Only in USA.

Here in Brazil we use them till they corrode.
>>
>>51880986
>bother
yeah, making money is a real bother, mate.
>>
>>51880999
And it'll cost less than paying a recycler to angle-grind the circuitboards and toss them in a landfill
>>
>>51880893
Dawg, I've even offered to sell the shit for them. I straight up said "Pay me hourly, or give me a percentage, but you're wasting cash like this".

Businesses auction off entire lots of equipment all the time. Shit, if we had a decent marketing department, they could just wipe the drives and donate them to poor kids.
>>
>>51881001
It's all about efficiency. Hardware has a MTBF (mean time before failure). Once that point is reached, it's easier and more economical to just replace it all in one go instead of continually repairing each thing that breaks.
>>
>>51881026
Are you actually this dumb?
>>
>>51881024
It would not be worth investing resources and/or money into reselling for the insignificant amount you'd get back.
>>
>>51881012
That is why you live in a subhuman shithole.
>>
>>51881039
You really think they're going to pay some random idiot to prepare and resell machines that had business sensitive data on them?
>>
>>51881116
That was uncalled for
>>
>>51881026
The "recycler" usually flips the shit on ebay. It's where all of the $200 Thinkpads and Latitudes and $700 fully-loaded servers come from. That sounds like a great deal for the recycler but the problem is that they often wind up sitting on warehouses full of unsold shit.
>>
>>51881055
Wages - money from selling old gear < cost of recycling
>>
>>51881178
Enjoy thinkING your going to make a fortune off old hardware that is being thrown out for good reason.

Enjoy thinking a saturated market wit little demand will get you anywhere

Enjoy thinking your actually saving the company money.
>>
>>51880870
this has to be happening in more places, doesn't it?
Where can I go to get my hands on some of that discarded stuff? I'm poor and I need to take what I can get.
>>
>>51881228
>your
How are you enjoying that not thinking?
>>
>>51881260
Yes anon divert the topic when you know youre an idiot and have no clue how businesses recycle hardware let alone the coats of it versus an employee
>>
I got two workstations with somewhat recent xeons(sandy) , a couple of quaddro cards. And also a huge case I modified to fit 3 radiators for a radbox I wanted to make for about 130. I put 30 more for the IT guy since he was pretty diligent in letting me know as soon as shit got decommissioned.
>>
>>51881289
We've already addressed the issue of costs several times ITT and you keep going back to it when your further shitposting is rebutted. It will be cheaper to hire somebody as a freelancer to check out their equipment and list it for sale than putting it all in one bin for destruction. It is also an opportunity to turn a profit.
>>
>>51881143
No insult is uncalled for against brs. It's not like it isn't true anyway.
>>
>>51880870
>when they could easily sell this stuff.
If this happens as often as you imply it does selling them would be a nightmare, there's also the "muh sooper secreet business intelligence" thing
>>
>>51881326
>it will turn profit because I said so

Once again you have no clue what the costs actually are. Why don't you go tell fiance how to do their job if you think you're better than them.
>>
>>51880870
PCI Compliance... hardware must be destroyed by a certified entity. If they do not destroy it, they risk losing their PCI in the very next audit.
>>
>>51881366
some possibility for profit is better than absolute certainty of loss
>>
>>51881366
I remember when people got banned for shitposting.
>>
>>51880870
My dad's company gave him a laptop, he used it for like 2 years then they gave him a new one expecting him to return the old one but they never asked to, they'd just throw it. i used that PC for 4 more years, from high school to university for a lot of things through a lot of places, that PC truly lived under me, i even changed and repaired many components (battery, ram, broken screen support ecc) and only when it finally started tearing apart we finally gave it back. i miss it.
/blog
>>
>>51881378
You put the clunkers back into the waste stream. You take the winners to the market. This way you are still compliant with electronics recycling laws and perhaps negate some of the costs of doing so. I realize this is not the American way. We have to throw out anything that shows some age whether it is good or not. But it's stupid and wasteful so fuck the American way.
>>
>>51881521
I'm not the anon you replied to, but certain applications REQUIRE the physical destruction of hardware once it's EOL (PCI compliance = credit card/financial shit).
>>
>>51881326
You haven't thought it through m8. You'll need to provide customer service, work with finance to add a new LOB to their systems, have some sort of minimal marketing presence, set up logistics, maybe set up a small warehouse for the crap. It's a giant pain in the ass, and simply paying someone to make the shit disappear saves time and money.

However, the biggest problem is likely that finance has amortized the value of the hardware down to $0, and has written the price of it off as a business expense. If you're suddenly expecting to sell the shit, you can't do that. Instead, you have to put down the acquisition cost of the hardware down as COGS, and suddenly you're taking a fucking bath. Say you buy a $2,000 laptop and in 5 years, sell it for $300. Suddenly you're having to report a $1,700 loss on your hardware resale LOB, not counting whatever costs were incurred on selling the item.

The reason why this business can work for the big ebay resellers is that their COGS is zero or negative, so they aren't losing money on the hardware itself.

>>51881388
There is no way to lose money on hardware that has been amortized down to $0 and written off as a tax deduction.
>>
>>51881043
Except mtbf is mean time between failures and your equation is retarded.
>>
>>51881752
I know what I meant.
>>
File: 1446911820752.jpg (28 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1446911820752.jpg
28 KB, 413x395
>>51881116
Fucking brutal, senpai top keks.
>>
>>51881327
you do realize you're on 4chan right?
>>
>>51880999
>sell cheaply to a guy that resells old hardware
>???
>profit
>>
>>51881327
BRs are disgusting
>>
>>51882302
whatever, i met this br o /b/ recently and he's pretty chill. he wanted me to help him with his english and shit and he's always telling me things are going to get better when i'm having a bad day. he has a shit computer too. maybe i should offer to buy something here for him and ship it since i imagine that the reason they have shit computers is an import problem.
>>
>>51881335
>wipe the hard drives with a proper format/deban, or simply sell them without one
Why is that so hard?
>>
>>51882347
can't do that with SSDs and even with HDDs sometimes it's recoverable
>>
>>51880870
no one wants that shit they eat power and are slower than a raspberry pi
>>
>>51882392
true :^)
>>
>>51880870
take the hdds and steal data off of them.

>>51880976
then sell them yourself
>>
>>51880870
Why the fuck aren't they giving that shit away for free?
>>
>>51882464
I dumpster dive the shit. I wish I had access to OP's magic basement where they keep all the good stuff though.
>>51882475
Because giving people your garbage is perceived as anti-American.
>>
I just ask when I get a new laptop if I can get the old one for almost no money, and my company always agrees
>>
>>51881614
ITT: the only anon that has ever taken a college level course
>>
>>51882519
Hey OP I'm in the same boat just got six old hard drives for free

>>>51882328
>>
>>51882538
Try to
>install gentoo
and deliberatly fuck that up.

>hey bossman, it's doing weird shit, can i get a new one and buy this one for $5 and scrap it?
>>
>>51882562
i was literally just reading your thread when you replied to me. good on you, man. i love that shit. made me want to ask around the neighborhood. i used to have an old neighbor that would pull old towers out of the dump for me that i'd fix up for fun.
>>
>>51882571
It doesn't work like that. All our PCs are managed by a lazy sysadmin, I can't just format it
Also they replace the hardware when the warranty (5 years) is over
>>
>>51882584
Fuck up your boot entries then.
There's always a way...
>>
>>51882609
They would just replace my laptop
What would be the point
>>
File: cyKGp11.jpg (253 KB, 959x1706) Image search: [Google]
cyKGp11.jpg
253 KB, 959x1706
>>51880870
>Despite not being a IT heavy company, they claim that they "don't have time to deal with it".
It's called "I don't give a fuck if I'm not making money from it"
Why would some corporate drone sell used equipment when there is no incentive for them? Unless a plan comes from higher up, it's just gonna go into le trash
>>
>>51882637
>Tyrone/10 would steal
Even i would hit that, even though i'm white.
>>
For a company I previously worked for it was far too complicated in taxes, audits, and other stuff to justify selling in mass. It was easier to sell off things with high value and e-waste the rest and receive tax breaks because of that. I got first dibs on all the shit, and it went free for all the moment they put it on a huge box on a pallet labeled e-waste a week before pickup.
>>
>>51882776
>steal
reclaiming trash is stealing?
>>
>>51882776
if your refuse is accessible to an animal or a child it's not stealing if you just walk up and take it.
>>
>>51882862
>implying
it ever was yours.

This would work out well for everyone.
company gets rid of trash.
company files claim to insurance and gets money.
you get free stuff.
as long as you don't sell hot hardware you're fine.
>>
>>51882887
it's like girls taking there pants off and bending over in an alley and waiting for someone to hit it...
>>
>>51882799
This is the only reason I could see it being a problem. Like this guy said here >>51881614 If it's an official business practice it becomes an issue. Smart or shady enough companies might as well just put it out to the curb because >>51882899 Is right even though he for some reason associates legally acquiring ownership of somebodies trash stealing.
>>51882921
To my knowledge that his how judges interpret the laws on the matter, yes.
>>
File: 1412195308801.gif (1022 KB, 303x194) Image search: [Google]
1412195308801.gif
1022 KB, 303x194
>>51882333
it is, its called high taxes from every fucking side, they tax the import, the mailing shipments and they actually sell low quality shit computers for a high price because monkeys can't differentiate a cost/benefit one from a overly priced. It's the curse of my people, low IQ.
>>
>>51883001
>pic
>not ALLAHUACKBAR.gif
>>
>>51881024
their time is worth so much more than the computers themselves. that's why they're not reselling them.
>>
>>51883136
mine isn't... being the whole line of thinking behind wanting to grab these up and post them on ebay or amazon
>>
>>51880870
For whatever reason, my work was throwing out a skid full of HP desktop servers. I still regret not taking a couple.
>>
>>51882422
>slower than a raspberry pi
the fuck are you on about? my entry-level SPARC shit from 12 years ago still blows that piece of maker hipster trash the fuck out
>>
Throwing away 2-3 year old hardware secures your IT peoples' jobs. If you kept the same hardware for 8-10 year cycles, they could probably cut their staff in half.
>>
my company sells the old laptops (after 3years usage) for ~2€ (without the HDD)
>>
I do this as a hobby. There's an e-waste recycling bin near my drive home. I just go in there and take what I can, despite the fact that there's a sign that says you can't take out what people put in.

Fuck that, come at me, law man. I already DDoS'd your criminal backround check server with my botnet built from the discarded remains of old poweredges
>>
>>51882862
chances are it's being scrapped for profit by the company that offers the disposal service so I suppose it would be stealing

Corps tend to be pretty nice about giving any eol stuff to anyone that asks for it though, especially employees
>>
>>51882392
Just pull the drive and buy a power drill?

I'm sure there are plenty of people prepared to buy a computer without the HDD
>>
Shame I live in a third world shithole, people here would bite your hand off just for looking at the trash computer from 1999.
>>
Aren't there companies dedicated to selling off eol hardware on behalf of corporations that want to get some sort of return?
>>
Great idea OP, why not create a company that buys otherwise thrown away hardware from companies like this for dirt cheap? You handle the storage, sell, paperwork and seemingly you would have no competition.
>>
>>51882222
Your point being...?
>>
>>51880870
Here's what you do OP.

Have them pay you a certain percentage, or do it for free.

>Sell everything on eBay for parts & repair.
>Give everything else that you can't sell to recycling center.

Boom, huge profits for you.
>>
>>51880893
Sell them in bulk so someone who is willing to resell them. Say sell all of them... Dell latitudes, blackberry 9930 for $10 per 1000 units maybe.

Save the money for recycling and get someone to get them for free.
>>
College I went to a couple of years ago replaced desktops and laptops every 2 years, and sold them to high school students without the capacity to buy a computer, for a very low price ($50 for PC, monitor, peripherals etc)
My opinion of them improved after I found that out.
>>
>>51880870
>I ask local companies/colleges if they will let me dig through their hardware that they throw out.
>"Go for it."
>100s of dollars of free shit. Not much, but a good chunk of spare change for next to no work.

SALVAGE IS FUN.
>>
>>51882964
In many jurisdictions, picking up trash as in discarded has no chance of being considered theft since the original owner has pretty much renounced ownership of the item when its thrown in the trash. Same reasoning applies to people that throw out drugs and then claim any expectation of privacy in regards to the discarded material.
>>
>>51883339
>>51883339
How did you find out about that? I want to dumpster dive for hardware. Free stuff is never bad
>>
>>51880870
What are the chances you could take home the box?
>>
>>51881012
>Here in Brazil we use them till they corrode.
Same here in slavland
My sister has a t420 from company and it has the hinge actually physically rusting.
Must be pretty old
>>
>>51882637
Chances are if someone has that much stuff in their backyard, you could ask them if you can take one or two machines and its likely they wont refuse
>>
>>51880870
Those poor helpless devices. Save them, OP. Save them all.
>>
>>51889350
Proof BRICS is just shorthand for 3rd world niggerlands.
>>
>>51881324
lucky son of a bitch
>>
>>51880870
So, my company is a very IT heavy company, and fortune 500. When labs or equipment get decommissioned, the hardware often just goes into a dumpster. The desktops and laptops will sometimes make their way down to being re-sold, but I don't think I've ever seen a server sold.

An example of a recent decom:
18x HP DL580 G7
4x 10 core Xeon
1TB RAM (stripped for spares for other machines I'm guessing)
2x 600GB 10K SAS drives.

The drives often get shredded, which I understand. But if there is an existing methodology to re-sell the server, why not do so? Some people take them home, some strip and sell. I've been known to borrow it to learn something, and return.

It boggles the mind...
>>
>>51889886
I used to go to company liquidations where they would sell old servers and racks, good deals too
>>
>>51880870
It guy here, firstly we don't pay people to recycle the parts, every time I've junked a bunch of shit it cost me nothing.

Secondly, why the fuck would we keep shit around that's out of warranty? If something breaks I need to be able to call Dell/Cisco/HP/Oracle/Lenovo and have them replace that shit tomorrow.

IT professionals make enough that it isn't worthwhile to spend anything more than 30 minutes trying to fix broken hardware.
>>
>>51880870
Most of my best shit has come for 100% free out of corporate surplus, like my daily driver ThinkStation S20 and ThinkPad T420, my Core 2 based servers (got them a while back), my Itanium test box/space heater, and a bunch of random smaller shit.

I'm also sitting on 64 GB of buffered DDR3 that I can't use on anything, fuck me.

>>51880984
>>51881043
You literally have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

Hardware that survives its first one or two years is usually good to go for another ten at that point, duds that are going to fail typically do it fast.
>>
>>51890110
Not to mention your company gets big tax write offs if they donate it to charity, that's what a lot of them do here.

I sometimes go to the local computers for kids donation center to hunt down exotic high-end SPARC/POWER shit.
>>
>>51880870
Suggest they sell that shit on eBay, then buy some.
>>
>>51890071
How do you find out about these? Where do you go to?
>>
File: scopecollection.jpg (109 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
scopecollection.jpg
109 KB, 960x720
>TFW your university's EE department just tosses out perfectly good oscilloscopes, function generators, and multimeters.
>>
>>51891647
That looks really old.
You could always take one if you need an analog oscilloscope.
I personally prefer the digital ones because you can analyse the output
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.