[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Netflix won
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: netflix-logo.png (105 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
netflix-logo.png
105 KB, 1280x720
http://variety.com/2015/digital/news/netflix-better-streaming-quality-1201661116/
>>
>>51879024
>netflix learned to change bitrates with ffmpeg
>genius
>>
>>51879024
Wake me up when they have proper rewind/fast-forward.
>>
>>51879128
The article says they're lowering the bitrate while keeping the quality the same. So it's more like turning the encoding speed from "normal" to "slow" or "very slow". They're probably doing other stuff too to optimize the encoding, kind of like changing presets when encoding with H264.

There's only so much they can do though since Netflix has to maintain support with some really old devices.
>>
>be average user
>learn about different media formats
>learn about bitrates and different codecs
>start using formats optimized for lower bitrate with better quality
>autism

>Netflix does it
>unremarkable
>>
>>51879475
if a video is smaller than 2 gigabytes I'm not watching it
>>
>>51879024
>my little pony
closet horsefucker needs to fuck off

also
>streaming
>>
>le netflix maymay
netflix won nothing. piracy is the undisputed still king
>>
>>51879509
>>>/yify/
>>
I wonder if they'll ever take advantage of IPFS, that shit would be great in places like dorms or apartments where people seem to complain the most about bandwidth.
>>
>>51880250
>>my little pony
>closet horsefucker
Why won't this meme die
>>
>>51879403
And still not just using CRF.
They're are dumb
>>
>Aaron’s team is now thinking about even encoding each scene of a movie or TV show with different settings to account for higher information density during fight scenes and lower demands during slow moments of introspection
Basically any encoder in the last decade has been doing this
This article is pure shit OP, it would be interesting to know what kind of algorithm they're using to fine tune bitrates (or CRF?) but there's literally nothing worth here
>>51882301
Using local peers would fix most of the issues people complain about netflix, it would even fix issues with ISP's
Why haven't they done this? Is it because most streaming stuff have such limited storage?
>>
>>51882446
I think it's more to do with content distribution policies and other legal nonsense.
>>
>>51879128
I uses to wonder what ffmpeg could be
Until you all shared it magic with me!
>>
>Netflix writes an article about why they should be using CRF
>proceeds to not use CRF
>>
>>51879024
>Netflix won

not until they actually have a decent catalog of movies
>>
>>51879024

nobody gives a fuck that they stream indie shit in 4k

when i can stream the new starwars film tomorrow with a basic subscription then you can talk to me
>>
>>51883665
Fat chance. It's Disney, so they will milk the fuck out of it by putting it on stuff like iTunes and Google Play. I doubt it will ever be available on any subscription service.
>>
>>51883692

all the original films were put digitally on youtube
>>
So they've re-invented CRF. Stunning. I'm sure there's more to it, but the explanation given in the article does not seem like anything new.

I can get better quality at a lower bitrate than Netflix using normal ffmpeg on a commodity laptop. This just goes to show that streaming is an appallingly shitty technology that should die as soon as possible.
>>
>>51883775
I don't understand why Netflix can't have near transparent blu ray quality streams for people with very fast internet connections.

They can probably make "transparent" "SuperHD" streams that's almost indistinguishable to the blu-ray with only 20-30mbps bitrate. A lot of scene groups do it fine.
>>
>>51883878
>I don't understand why Netflix can't have near transparent blu ray quality streams for people with very fast internet connections.
They do. It costs extra, though. It also does not look as good as the scene releases, since streaming is an inherently inferior technology.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.