[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What exactly are the limitations of a raspberry pi? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: Raspberry_Pi_boxed[1].jpg (2 MB, 3652x2434) Image search: [Google]
Raspberry_Pi_boxed[1].jpg
2 MB, 3652x2434
What exactly are the limitations of a raspberry pi? I'm interested in getting into linux and Christmas is coming up so I'm thinking of asking for one

can it run mpv and music players and make those sexy desktops like in the desktop threads without chugging and all that?
>>
>>51874379
COMPUTE
UP
THE
ASSSSSSSS
>>
It's a fucking computer. It can do anything your 1337 MLGxxNOSCOPE station can.
>>
>>51874379

depends on what you want to do, but if you're just treating it like you would your laptop, you'll be fine.

I personally use the nvidia jetson tk1 for things like object detection / machine learning. The downside is it costs 200$.

There's even a new one out that's 3x more powerful and costs around 500$.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/jetson-tx1-module.html
>>
>>51874449
>not just getting a n3150
>>
>>51874379
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=raspberry-pi-burst&num=1
>>
> movie players
Yes you can set it up as a home media server

>sexy desktops?
Uh Yeah it can run arch Linux and gentoo

>limitations
Has like 2gb of memory I believe and a decent processor. If I were you I would set it up as a home server and connect it to a hard drive to have your own little cloud service.
>>
>>51874484
It has 1gb of ram, not 2.
>>
>>51874484
You can have a sexy desktop with whatever distro you like, and suggesting Arch or Gentoo to a beginner is kinda crazy.
>>
>>51874544

Can you do ARM gentoo?
>>
>>51874379
It is very limited in terms of putting it in your ass. I tried it and it didn't work. /g/ is wrong, you can't do this. The edges hurt and it is too big.
>>
>>51874690
You just need more practice. Start with something with rounded corners, like an iPhone. Then, transition to MacBooks and iMacs.
>>
>>51874614
Sure can, there are stage 3 installers for like 11 different architectures.
Have fun compiling literally fucking everything on a Pi, though.
>>
>>51874379
it's shit
>>
>>51874722
Good point, I guess I am gonna try this next. Thank you kind anon!
>>
>>51874614
1GB isn't really enough to compile large programs. 512MB definitely isn't enough in yellowtoothed meme man years.
>>
So do any of these SoC devices; Raspberry Pi, Orange/Banana Pi, CHIP, that thing from nvidia, etc, work well as a home theater system, or should I just cannibalise parts from my old PC (i5 750 + HD 5850) and construct a HTPC from that?
>>
>>51874779
What do you mean you can't compile big programs on the raspberry pi. You can compile ROS on a raspberry pi. It takes a week.
>>
>>51874379
It's slow, compared to a regular computer, because it has a little low-power ARM chip. It performs more like a phone.

but really the biggest limitation isn't that, it's the fact that you have to buy (or in some cases make) a bunch of other bits and bobs to go along with it, if you want to do much.
>>
>>51875052
yes
>>
>>51874416
I learned how to hack my system with a pi. I also learned how many /g/ people bullshit their abilities of programming.

"Look at me, I can write code on /g/"

Almost non of the shit worked.
>>
>>51875422
Is that "Yes" to the former or the latter?
>>
>>51875052
they can do 1080p,but if you want 4k u need a n3150. they are good option if you aint gaymen since they are low power devices
>>
>>51874379
it can probably run MPV, just not well. I use mine as a 'media center' sometimes. Sometimes it craps out playing stuff and sometimes it works just fine.(this is the first pi though)

Second, PI desktop is slow, I would not recommend ricing a Pi. Pi's are best used without the desktop as headless servers. Or you know actually using that GPIO to control robots and stuff.

If you really want to get into linux, just start dual booting ubuntu.

>>51874403
Eventually someone is going to turn a rpi zero into world's most high tech dildo. It will happen. Pi's have already been used as sex toys.
>>
I got Arch on mine.

Pretty slow
>>
>>51875466

Yeah
>>
>>51875397
What I meant by you cant compile large programs on the Raspberry Pi was that you cant compile large programs on the Raspberry Pi.
>>
File: 1449221777755.png (162 KB, 631x1000) Image search: [Google]
1449221777755.png
162 KB, 631x1000
>>51875521
>4K
The price of UHD TVs in Australia is prohibitively expensive so 4K isn't really a priority here; plus it doesn't look as if the n3150 is commercially available yet.

Thinking about it now though I might actually use the thing for some basic gaming, in which case it'd be a better idea to repurpose my old PC. All I need to salvage the system is an SSD (~$80), and the price of the SoC and all the relevant adapters would ultimately cost more than that with shipping.

Thanks for helping me come to a decision.
>>
>>51875700
suck to be in aussie then im so glad i can get a n3150 by asSrock sound like a great shitposting nas seedbox
>>
>>51874379
well, you can't kill somebody by throwing it at their head, that's some kind of limitation. IMHO.
>>
>>51875700
>Australia
Why don't you move since your country is so shitty?
>>
>>51876396
dropbear border patrols
>>
>>51875419

You need a phone charger and an ethernet cable.
>>
i'm thinking of building a NAS box and setting up a raspberry pi as a complement to stream on my tv

i really don't think there's any other consumer use for them, though
>>
>>51878838
And a keyboard, mouse, monitor, possible battery if you want it portable, HDMI cable, etc.
>>
>>51878998
wow, so you're saying that if you want to build a computer, you have to buy a bunch of parts in order to put it together and make it useable?
>>
>>51878931
>i really don't think there's any other consumer use for them, though
Emulation.
But yeah they're of fairly limited usefulness for regular consumers.
>>
>>51879054
>emulation

true, true. the people who are buying these things are typically nerds with computers, though. computers that are well-equipped to emulate something hardier than an n64 game.
>>
>>51874379
if use gpio ports
then get raspi
else if need tiny fanless 5V computer
then get raspi
else if need htpc
then get hdmi cable
else if need nas
get real pc
else buy pot and smoke it
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.