[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hardest CS class you've had to take? I'm in my fourth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4
File: 1428615237704.gif (136 KB, 311x360) Image search: [Google]
1428615237704.gif
136 KB, 311x360
Hardest CS class you've had to take?
I'm in my fourth year at uni and I still think data structures was the roughest.
>>
Compilers
>>
>>51872785
>tfw did super shitty in data structures and didn't really start to get it until towards the end when it was too late to recover
;_;
>>
>>51872785
Computer Architecture probably
>>
the first course, intorduction to programming because I had never done programming and I wasn't sure if I would be any good at it or enjoy it.

It turned out okay and I was good at it.
>>
Probably either Natural Language Processing or Cryptography. Requires a deep understanding of heavy math shit. That said, I'm taking Computational Linguistics next quarter, which is just Natural Language Processing with more work, including research!

If you aren't a glutton for hard classes, you're doing it wrong.
>>
Digital Design was shit load of work
Advanced Probability was shit load of math
>>
>>51872785
How does it take 4 years to get a CS degree? You should be done after 3.
>>
intro to computer graphics which i took in my last semester

lots and lots of math and then figuring out openGL to implement shaders and all that made the homework frustrating
>>
>>51873189
If you're school's CS program is worth a shit it should take 4 years
>>
>>51873189

Took me 5 to get my bachelors. Small (albeit highly competent) department, great demand, and a couple of core classes that are dependencies on everything, with limited seats.

Also, most bachelor's degrees, regardless of major, take at least 4 years, unless one is taking an abundance of credits (which could have a negative impact on one's grades due to the sheer amount of workload this introduces) or taking summer quarter classes (which I'm pretty sure universities on a semester system -- the vast majority -- do not offer).
>>
hardest course by far was fucking higher mathematics—not because of the content which is simple but because of the terrible fucking professors. The average for one of the midterms was in the 20s. Absolutely disgusting.

Hardest strictly-CS (since that is technically math) has been Real-Time Rendering. The professor cannot teach to save his life and he wrote terrible ad-hoc examples in C so I had to teach myself OpenGL and rewrite it to be clean and modular. If I had a lighter schedule it would have been easier but 18 hours of project courses is rough.

Next semester I'm doing it all over again, this time with my capstone in the mix :,)
>>
>>51873014
>he thought computer architecture was hard
Logic at the CPU level is literally nothing.
Worst part is CPU pipelining, not even that bad.

Hardest classes are the math classes where you're just calculating shit by hand all day every day, holy shit is that banal.

I haven't even ENCOUNTERED a difficult CS class yet, and I'm about to enter my fourth year. Hopefully senior level data structures and algorithms, and AI (different classes) will change that
>>
>>51873412
CS courses don't get hard until you're into the upper 5000-6000 level courses.
>>
>>51873455
You mean master's?
'Cause in my university 5xx 6xx is reserved for Masters and PhD students.
>>
nothing is really that hard so far, though things are definitely ramping up in difficulty (i'm in my third year), I'd say the hardest so far has been "Intermediate Algorithm Design and Analysis" but even then like it's name I find it intermediate in difficulty
>>
>>51873189
because i'm actually in my 3rd year of CS, I went in to college without any basic credits or Calculus taken at all
>>
>>51873475
o_o

I am an undergrad and can take them at my university. Requires permission of instructor though.
>>
>>51872785
The chip design classes were some of the roughest ones, although after building a MIPS cpu from the gate level up, I really understood a lot more about assembly.
>>
>CS classes
>difficult
lmao just read the book
>>
File: B9dRUe_CYAENo2d.jpg (11 KB, 448x412) Image search: [Google]
B9dRUe_CYAENo2d.jpg
11 KB, 448x412
>>51873579
>more than obviously hasnt been a CS major ever
>>
File: smug anime face.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
smug anime face.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>51873605
whatever you have to tell yourself m8

for the record I've failed lots of CS courses, but only b/c I stopped attending since they were so easy.
>>
>>51873681
>hurrr I failed cause they wer 2ez4me
>pretending to be retarded
fuck its too late here, I am starting to take the bait now
>>
>>51873605
It's true. Reading the book helps quite a bit. Like actually reading, not just skimming and pretending to read.
>>
During college, the hardest one for me was Introduction to Theory of Information and Communication. Particularly, graphical representations of the Fourier Transform... those spectre graph calculations became my nightmare.
>>
>>51873864
>take class on parallel programming
>book is The Art of Multiprocessor Programming
lel this book is shit
The explanations are structured so horribly that you get confused
It's almost as if the author just threw up his stream of conscious down on paper and expected us to understand what the fuck he was trying to talk about.

After the third or so time I start to understand what he meant, but it really is the organization of the information that makes everything more confusing than it really needs to be.

Honestly I've been getting better information straight from the Internet and the lecture.
>>
>>51873189
Because I'm poor so I take 2 classes a semester
>>
>>51873189
You went to a shit university senpai.
Excluding cases of people who skip their math and science requirements because of AP courses, a proper CS bachelor should take 5 years. It's just how dense the major is.

>>51874019
Taking 2 classes a semester ends up costing you more than just saving up for a long time and then taking 5.

Whatever works for you though.
>>
>>51874037
Its too late for me now. After 4 years I finally got through all calculus and linear algebra, programming fundamentals 1 &2, calc based physics/gen Chem, English, hist/gov

How am I doing? I'm taking data structures and algorithms next semester and finally transferring to uni this coming fall semester

I figure I still got 3 more years of school left at a uni
>>
>>51873977
proof CS kids are retards that cant handle math, science, or engineering
>>
>>51874037
I didn't know that UC Berkeley is considered a shit university these days.
>>
>>51874178
why would you graduate in 3 years? autism? are you poor? why dont you fuck some bitches at a fucking party jesus christ. are you that anxious to become a code monkey for google?
>>
>>51874037
>Taking 2 classes a semester ends up costing you more than just saving up for a long time and then taking 5.
>tfw I made this mistake

I ended up paying double the tuition I would have if I just attended full time.
>>
>>51874193
>Being a code monkey is shameful for someone on /g/
Never got this, are you just supposed to either be a NEET or solving the conundrums of quantum computing with global recognition, Nobel prizes and shit?
>>
>>51872868
Compilers was the only shit I can say I was afraid of failing
>>
>>51874193
why would you graduate in 4 years? autism? are you poor? why dont you fuck some bitches at a fucking party jesus christ. are you that anxious to become a code monkey for google?
>>
>>51874236
its not that shameful if you actually work for a good company. the point was that you're just doing someone else's bidding. whats the rush, why make college an unpleasant blur instead of enjoying your youth and freedom
>>
>>51874274
Yeah why rush through college? I know someone who's currently going through his 10th year! He's a total blast at frat parties!
>>
>>51873094
Sounds like fun, although I'd be intimidated as fuck
>>
>>51874258
because a 4 year degree entails a "normal" workload that allows for a balanced lifestyle, while 3 years does not. 5 years would put me in a position where most of my friends have already graduated and moved away, it would feel stagnant. apparently you are a solitary enlightened gentleman or something and dont think much of societal norms, congrats, and a tip of the fedora to you good sir
>>
>>51874274
>the point was that you're just doing someone else's bidding.
Yeah, it's called a job. You can make it sound as sinister as you like, I'm not working for charitable reasons. Getting paid yo.
>>
>>51874285
do you even have a point or are you just shitposting
>>
>>51874291
Just make new friends bro! The guy I was talking about in his 10th year is the president of his frat, so he always has good brothers coming in. Life's short, you should relax and take it slow dude!
>>
>>51874306
if i had money to be a Van Wilder, I would totally do it
>>
>>51874306
Yeah because jobs are guaranteed in this day and age! Who needs "work experience" when you have TOGA EXPERIENCE!
whut whut!?
>>
Theory of Computation
Sipser's book is awesome but this course still kicked my ass. I got a good grade out of it but feel that especially the later parts went over my head.

Design and Analysis of Algorithms
Pretty heavy stuff like amortized analysis, proving problems to be NP-complete and such. Cormen's book helped a lot, and the fact that I understood the basics from earlier courses on data structures and algorithms.

Basics of Machine Learning
Well, this course was mainly statistics. It made me see that I really need to improve my math skills if I wish to do any work in this field. It also showed me that a lot of the concepts are very intuitive and easy, but they are presented in a very arcane way. Just have to learn to live with it.

Really looking forward to writing my first compiler next year. I've heard that it is a pain in the ass but in the end it should be very rewarding.
>>
>>51874334
It's all about networking dude! If you join a frat, you'll have bros for life!
>>
>>51874285
>>51874306
>>51874334
>>51874349
holy fuck lmao
>>
>>51874357
#YOLO nerd!
>>
>>51874357
>>51874357
>>51874357
yea i really dont get it... apparently some NEET is imagining that he got a CS degree is 3 years, and conflating a 4 year standard degree holder with an exaggeratedly lazy hedonistic frat boy... I really have no idea what the point is
>>
Probably one about automatic and semi-automatic theorem proofing and arguing about semantic correctness of programs.

Basically heaps of formal proofs for homework, combined with a big amount of theory to understand.

We did about 70-80% of Software Foundations (https://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/sf/current/toc.html) which is kind of tough for a one-semester course.
>>
>>51874399
That he went to the school of cool, that's what.
>>
>>51872785
>Hardest CS class you've had to take?
I looooved Data Structures & Algotirhms. I had a great teacher.

For me Computer Structure was the worst. I had 5 different teachers. Hard as balls assembly project with a retarded partner. I just gave up.
>>
>>51874007
>It's almost as if the author just threw up his stream of conscious down on paper and expected us to understand what the fuck he was trying to talk about.
This is why I don't read things written on dead trees anymore.
>>
Models of Computation is and will always be the hardest. Everything else is cake.
>>
>>51872785
I had a computer architecture class that was pretty tough.

Had to learn how shit actually works and write/optimize shit in assembly.
>>
>>51872785
Calculus 3?
>>
>>51874037
120 credits is 4 years. if you take 5 years, youre weak.
>>
>>51874172
math classes are also the classes all engineering students find the hardest at my university, not just Software Engineering students.
>>
>>51875133
120 credits is 3 years at 20 units per semester. 2 years if you are not a degenerate and actually have AP units from high school.
>>
>>51875279
>13
What? I'm in Europe and taking a Computer Science BS (which is called licenciatura in my country) and it's 180 credits (ECTS) for 3 years. 30 per semester.
>>
Operating Systems
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.