[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
While the idea is not new... Do you think MS is going to succeed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: dokk1.jpg (1 MB, 2930x2040) Image search: [Google]
dokk1.jpg
1 MB, 2930x2040
While the idea is not new...

Do you think MS is going to succeed with their desktop dock for windows smartphones?
>>
>>51870664
No, for the same reason normies don't usually have thin-client PCs.
>>
>>51870664
>DP
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (135 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
135 KB, 1920x1080
>>51870664
With both tablets and some phones using low power Intel atom CPUs, what's stopping them from making an x86 based windows phone build? The issues that people keep bringing up is that arm and x86 architecture are much different, so why not use a compatible architecture?
Since the zenfone 2 uses an Intel Atom Z3580, it's possible to run desktop windows, so why not do that with windows phone?
>>
I just don't see the use case. Normies want either laptops for couch browsing, or xXtreme Gaming Performance Overspeed tower systems. This just doesn't fit the bill for either demographic.

It's a clever idea, and it's been had before, but it's just not the way things are going.
>>
>>51870664
>Do you think MS is going to succeed

no because free market

other companies won't follow and make their devices compatible. In fact, they'll purposely make it so you can't use HDMI to duplicate your phone screen just like they do now.

This is consumer market we're talking about, so people buy whatever they want and MS doesn't even hold the OS monopoly anymore.
>>
>>51871153
>they'll purposely make it so you can't use HDMI to duplicate your phone screen just like they do now.

What is MHL? HDMI replication of your phone screen. It's been around for a while and an industry standard

git gud anon.
>>
>>51870697
The superior connection, yes
>>
>>51871173
ok, why is this not a thing then?
Why doesn't every computer kiosk offer a MHL adapter?
>>
>>51871153
>other companies won't follow and make their devices compatible.
They'd be making life harder for themselves as it's essentially just USB OTG with the new connector, you know, the one that everyone agreed to use in future.
>>
>>51870664
What the fuck is the point of this?
>bigger than a NUC
>more expensive than a NUC
>can only run phone apps
>can only be used with a phone
>>
>>51871316
My monitor, television, and Home theater receiver all have MHL compatible HDMI ports
>>
>>51871405
I own a display dock, came with my 950XL.
Its smaller than an Intel NUC. About a third of the size. Half of the weight. It actually weighs a lot more than you think a device of that size should. They probably put a bigass heatsink in there.

Also NUCs are more expensive. A barebones NUC costs $100. Adding disk and RAM to that would inflate costs. On the other hand the Display Dock is a benjamin and the tertiary components are subsidized into the cost of your phone.

>phone apps
You're exaggerating here, stop talking out of your ass. Continuum runs Universal apps, which are Windows Store apps optimized to run a desktop UI
>>
>>51871316
>>51871856
Real cool when you still need a $40 adapter to make it work with the most-popular android smartphone manufacturer in the world.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.