[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SQT - Stupid Question Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40
File: image_0.jpg (77 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
image_0.jpg
77 KB, 540x540
Didnt see one.

I'm going to make a video for a tech illiterate person. They probably dont even have vlc player. Whats the safest, most widespread video filetype to use? One that i can expect anyone to be able to play somehow? Quality and size doesnt matter.
>>
first for my wife's son
>>
>>51868951
pretty much any video player around even the stock windows one, should be able to handle mp4 without a problem

>>51868970
>my wifes' son
somebody got keked
>>
480p MPEG 2 + MP3 in avi
>>
>>51869015
Actually, that should be WAV or AC3
>>
Does anyone here know a good lightweight no nonsense program for downloading crap off the internet? I specifically want something for youtube videos and mp3s but a general program that can manage downloads would be grand. I don't care if it's basically comandline or minimalistic , it just needs to be light, fast, and usable. I've been using jdownloader 2, but it's full of bloat, is slow as shit, and is constantly giving me errors. I'm using wangblows 7 64bit.
>>
>>51868951
a youtube link

if not, >>51869015 + >>51869042
>>
>>51869097
youtube-dl and wget
there are windows binaries available for both
>>
>>51869115
Alright, thanks for the help mate.
>>
>>51868951
I want to charge my smartwatch through my PC while the PC is off. Is there such a way to do this?
>>
Sometimes this happens with my computer: I go to turn it on, acts like it's going fine then it cuts off, have to unplug all USBs, the power cable and flip psu switch a couple times. Plug the cable back in and pray that shit works. Then plug all my peripherals back in. Happens 1/3rd of the time. Any idea what this is? I've changed to a new motherboard and that done nothing. I'm thinking it's the PSU, is there anything I can do to prevent this?
>>
>>51869192
no but modern pcs' generally have a bios setting to enable usb power while asleep/hibernating
>>
>>51868951

Stay comfy in the clouds pupper.
Also, can anyone tell me how much performance is affected by moving the temp folder, browser caches, and page file from an SSD to an HDD? Which of these changes, if any would cause a noticeable reduction in speed?
>>
http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/tRy8pg

I'm about to pull the trigger on this build.
How much did I fucked up then any advice?
thanks
>>
File: 625058_p0.png (84 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
625058_p0.png
84 KB, 400x400
hallo, please help me /g/ :[

I'm having trouble booting my thinkpad t440p, it's running win10 (inb4 snarky comments, it's a standard-issue laptop for my major from my uni so it's not like i had a choice about that).

anyhow whenever it goes on standby sometimes it doesn't boot back up, all the lights turn on on the keyboard but the screen doesn't turn on, and it keeps 'trying' to boot (the lights flash on and off like it's about to turn on but doesn't several times); it's especially common when the batt is low (sometime I have to play around with plugging in AC power and removing battery a few times before it starts, sometimes i let the batt drain completely, plug in AC, try again, and it has worked; either way it delays my using it and is a pain in the butt).

i've been told to try updating my bios but when i run the bios update utility I eventually get the error msg:
>Failed to read BIOS.
>The utility proess has not completed.
and then nothing.

I've checked the lenovo foums and it appears at least a couple other people have the same problem but nobody's provided any advice in their thread.

Any advice /g/? Thanks in advance.
>>
>>51869429
*snarky comment*
>>
>>51869429
This doesnt seem sqt teir desu, u dkoubt you'll get an answer here, or from any if /g/ for that matter
>>
>>51869468
>>51869475
:O
oh no
thanks anyhow
>>
is google dns being slow for anyone else
it's taking up to six seconds per query for me
>>
>>51869497
forgot to add that tracert and ping don't show anything out of ordinary for 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
>>
File: Untitled.png (88 KB, 937x901) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
88 KB, 937x901
>>51869497
Comcast?
>>
>>51869547
no
i live in europe
>>
File: Capture.png (386 KB, 924x754) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
386 KB, 924x754
I have weird win7 problem, got an empty folder on my desktop with a stupid long label, I can't right click it without explorer crashing and needing to restart how the fuck do I get rid of it? command line?
>>
>>51869656
(left) click it and press f2
type in a shorter name and press enter
>>
Hey /g/uys,

Look, I know this is a fucking retarded question but I need to know the answer.

I have a GTX 670 and I want to buy a 4k TV to use only for movies, streaming media, etc. This TV won't be used for gaymen at all.

With that said, could a GTX 670 support the 4k TV /while/ I am gaming on a different monitor?
>>
What are some good UPS models/companies?

What should I avoid like the plague?
>>
>>51869743
APC in my opinion is the top tog for any type of UPS.

You can't go wrong snagging one up by these guys.
>>
Are soundcards placebo bullshit or do they actually improve sound and are worth their prices?
>>
>>51869756
They'll only improve audio quality if the motherboard audio is shit.
>>
>>51869656
open command prompt

cd to the desktop

rmdir g<tab complete>

>>51869698
this should also work too
>>
>>51869754
Thanks senpai
>>
Is there a way to add programs to the start menu in Windows 10? Everything I can find just tells you how to pin it to that fucking ugly metro menu, which I disabled.

>inb4 "install gentoo"
>>
Firefox suddenly cannot find my profiles,nor can it create a new profile.
Checked permissions(temp set to 777)
Out of ideas
>>
>>51869196
Are you passing your psu's rating
>>
I want to ask something about NAS and PCs like Raspberry PI, but I couldn't find a HST thread this days.

Some anon who have that kind of hardware attached to the wall would like to give me some replies?
>>
>>51869819
Did you try reinstalling it?
>>
>>51869771
This

and to piggyback there are other small benefits like driving higher impedance headphones.
>>
>>51869808
Yes. Rollback to windows 7 and install templeOS
>>
>>51869742
no
>>
>>51869196
Sounds like your PSU is failing anon.
>>
>>51869845
Thanks for being worthless. Is anyone intelligent willing to answer?
>>
>>51869841
>777
Linux yo,removing a binary and adding it back does nothing.
>>
How's wayland doing? When will it be reasonable to upgrade?
>>
>>51869859
No problem senpai :^)
>>
>>51869850
Shit, I figured as much.

fucking weak ass 2gb piece of shit
>>
>>51869899
Its fine if you use kms instead of blob.
>>
>>51869959
what are those two things?
>>
>>51869983
Kernel Mode Settings
Blob=Nvidia Proprietary Drivers.

tl;dr if you use nvidia its useless
>>
>>51869698
f2 rename does nothing
>>51869787
your exact command, >"rmdir g<tab complete>"
results in 'syntax is incorrect'
and with all 244 'g's in command results in 'system cannot find path specified
same with this command in elevated cmd
>RD /S /Q "C:\users\furthur\desktop\bullshitfolderetc"
not working
>>
What is the longevity of a live usb running Linux?
And is there a way to allocate 100% of the usbs storage for the os itself and storage?
>>
Is it possible to have windows + linux on my pc? Like when I want to game I'll switch to windows, but if I want to do anything else I'll go to linux?
>>
>>51869837
Can I have a friendly bump?
>>
>>51870068
Dual booting.
>>
Is it possible to do a "Hackintosh" Apple TV? If so, how?
>>
>>51869257

pls respond. I bought into the SSD meme and I want to know which of these changes would cause any major decrease in performance.
>>
>>51870207
>page file
not sure if bait
>>
>>51870162
thank u
>>
Is there a program to let me manage a large amount of images simultaneously? I want to sort, rename, tag, create new folder at once to manage all a large amount of them. I'd rather not have to manual rename MGS, MGS 2, MGS 3, etc.
>>
>>51870264
You can literally make a live USB or DVD of a linux distro, and run it.

Like in Mint when its running you can click on the install button, and there are options to automatically change your partitions and install grub alongside your existing windows install.

Its retardedly easy to do nowadays
>>
>>51868951
Are there any pros or cons of having two SSDs in your desktop?

So I have a free 100$ gift card to Samsung.com from a phone promotion.

I can get an EVO 850 250gb for 110$, or an 850 PRO 128gb for 89$.

I already have an EVO 850 250gb in my desktop right now.
I only install games I want, then delete them when im done so im not really hurting for space on my main boot drive. Not much of a gamer anyways

If not im going to buy a laser printer or a point and shoot camera I probably wont use very much.
Not real interested in buying the Gear VR, or spending a ton of money on top of the promotion.
>>
I want to host a website. I have a domain name, and I want to host on my computer. How do I do this?
>>
>>51870320
Cept you didnt mention you want to do windows first and run linux on to its bootloader as windows hate grub/syslinux/etc
>>
Anyone off the top of their head know the best monitor I can get in the $100-$130 range?

It's a hard limit.
I'm looking for a 60hz that I can overclock to 75hz at 1080p, but that might be expecting too much.
>>
>>51870354
You could use the 2nd ssd to have 256gb of ram running it as a tmpfs.Other wise no.You'd be better off geting a 1tb platter for extra storage
>>
>>51870456
Apach/nginx/lighttpd/etcetc
Point your domain dns to your ip.
Pointless if you have a dynamic ip.
>>
I have a harddrive I want to get a file from. Unfortunately something happened to it, which made me abandon it entirely a few years back, I'm not sure what actually happened but apparently it's worse than I thought because when I tried to boot it as the sole drive in the machine, it refused to load to the desktop and when I tried System Recovery from SafeMode, it failed with "Cannot access C:\"

Is there any point hooking it up alongside my current harddrive and trying to pull something off it like that or is it just completely fucked? Or, more to the point, is there a way to just get access to a list of files on it and pull the one I want off into a USB drive without having to actually load Windows?
>>
Are there any good tools i can use on linux to download all the images in a thread?
>>
File: eq.jpg (94 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
eq.jpg
94 KB, 1280x720
I don't know if this is a good place to ask this, but I got an old Fisher stereo and need someone to tell me how to connect the equalizer to the receiver.

Here is a pic of the back of the EQ
>>
File: receiver.jpg (152 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
receiver.jpg
152 KB, 1280x720
And here is a pic of the receiver.
>>
>>51871053

I used this chrome extension, works alright, but it's going to eat ram because it opens the pics in new tabs

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/4chan-image-downloader/hahloifmmbcoaahbboegjcccniekbbib
>>
>>51869656
left click, shift+delete
>>
Does anyone have the DL link for the material beta version of Clover?
>>
>>51871325
A lot of that era equalizers were made for cassette decks
So it would go cassete deck => equalizer => receiver

Is the line out a typical power plug? Or is it an RCA cable?
>>
File: clearclick.png (131 KB, 433x467) Image search: [Google]
clearclick.png
131 KB, 433x467
Anyone else ever get this?
>>
how do u distribute linux packages
i was trying to dist this package
and didn't worko
>>
how do i clean off old thermal paste off of a mobile cpu without ruining it? it got on the pcb itself too. isopropyl alchohol?
>>
What's the program you can install to have webm thumbnail previews on Windows called?
>>
>>51871420
thats what happens when you're clicking as a transition effect is taking place (it now fades in & out)
it means literally nothing
>>
Is there such a thing as a mouse speed cap?

[spoiler]sorry for the poorly disguised techhelp question I just want to play doom[/spoiler]
>>
>>51871427
isopropyl alcohol works great

FWIW, I had an overheating laptop that the thick thermal paste gunk was hard and all over the PCB (even on little resistors and shit). I was a bit worried cleaned up fine and still works to this day.
>>
>>51871325
>>51871343
EQ

Tape
Rec Out P.B. Left
Rec Out P.B. Right

Receiver

Tape
Rec Out Right Left
P.B. Right Left
>>
>>51871433
I didn't click that I was aware of.
please explain with more detail
>>
>>51871490
thanks m8. mine has little resistors and shit too which is why i was wondering
>>
>>51871427
Goo Gone works better than isopropyl alcohol.
>>
File: 2015-12-14 19.21.23.jpg (2 MB, 3024x5376) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-14 19.21.23.jpg
2 MB, 3024x5376
my laptop gpu/cpu radiators are painted black because stealthy fighter jet assault computer. would it benefit my temps at all to strip off the paint?
>>
>>51871493
the captcha is an iframe
it uses javascript jquery fadein & fadeout effects
this means as certain points it has either partially or fully transparent objects
clicking one of those is suspcious to noscript & counts as click hijacking
because you're clicking what is assumed to be a transparent object from another domain
>>
>>51871596
thanks
>>
>>51871591
forgot that the inside is black because its what you see outside of the computer, the rest isnt. also its not passive, a fan blows air through the black painted area.
>>
>>51868951
Avi
>>
File: 1446440373226.gif (2 MB, 450x253) Image search: [Google]
1446440373226.gif
2 MB, 450x253
I used aegis on Windows 7 but now I gotta update to get the Xbox One Wireless Adapter driver.

But ever since I used aegis it doesnt say the update exists and most updates fail to install. Help?
>>
>>51869859
Install Seven
>>
Constraint Logic Programming in Prolog:

How do I go about making a 24hr schedule for 30 tasks between 6 resources, each resource having varying duration for each task and cost of use? I need to minimize time/cost.

I understand how to do it with just minimizing cost, but this scheduling part is throwing me off.
>>
My new computer has been having all sorts of random BSODs and I can't figure out what's causing it. Bluescreenviewer points to the same crash address for every single one, but it's on ntoskrnl.exe

Is there any way I can use the crash address to pinpoint my problem, or does it just point to that address because it doesn't know what the fuck else to do?
>>
>>51871675
pasta minidump here and someone can maybe look at it
>>
>>51869656
chkdsk, it's probably corrupted
>>
>>51871690

I have about 22 dumps. Should I just upload them somewhere?
>>
File: 1444867195464.jpg (78 KB, 687x960) Image search: [Google]
1444867195464.jpg
78 KB, 687x960
>>51869859
>>51871666

Satan approves your switch to 7...
>>
ereader that respects my freedoms?
>>
>>51871738
Newest few should be good.
>>
File: gbereader.jpg (17 KB, 300x217) Image search: [Google]
gbereader.jpg
17 KB, 300x217
>>51871757
>>
What are the advantages/differences of C++ over Python? Which C language is the most versatile and effective?
>>
>>51870354

No cons nor pros.

If you're autistic about your ssds you could use the 850pro for your OS and main apps and the 250 for gaymen. Although there's no real need for it.
>>
>>51871775

I uploaded them onto mediafire, it's like 500kb. They had all sorts of random bugcheck codes on them so I've got no idea what the issue is.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/kpe9lf1hdg0qy84

Not sure if there's a better place to put them up or not.
>>
File: ffmpeg.png (21 KB, 641x249) Image search: [Google]
ffmpeg.png
21 KB, 641x249
Why does ffmpeg keep doing this? I set the bitrate to 3000 but it doesn't stick with it. I don't have a file size limit set either.
>>
>>51871826
Yeah I have no idea where to start with your stuff.

Got backups of your important shit? What was the last thing you were doing before it farted up on you?
>>
>>51871807
C++ is pro tier
Python is more of a get-er-done language

C++, you know more details and are more in control
Python, you don't reinvent the wheel

Serious programmer, lifelong hobby or career, then C++
Else Python

Some pros use python for convenience, but know other languages.

Disclaimer: I didn't like either, learned C. Hated C++, and found when I wanted more detail on how python worked, I landed in C territory.
I'd recommend C as a first language. From there, you can easily move to other languages.
>>
>>51872001

It's a new build, it's just been crashing at random since I got it started up. All sorts of bugcheck codes at different times, sometimes when I'm doing things and sometimes when it's idle.

I'm thinking it might be a bad motherboard, since I had to jumpstart it with a paperclip to even be able to get it to power up the first time. I wanted to see if I could figure out any other possible cause before sending it back but I've tried just about everything I can think of.
>>
>>51872050
Yeah that sounds reasonable. I just had a fun time diagnosing a friends machine on and off over the past month with similar issues. Turned out to be his power supply being a fucker. What board/CPU is it?
>>
newbie to linux here

how do i execute a command when i open a terminal? i use i3 and when i press mod key + enter it opens the terminal but i would like it to also run a command...wat do?

the terminal is urvxt
>>
>>51872097

It's a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H with an Intel i5-4690K in it.
>>
>>51868951
>I'm going to make a video for a tech illiterate person. They probably dont even have vlc player. Whats the safest, most widespread video filetype to use?
holy shit, this just blow my mind, i just realize this is something that happens, its been years since i used the windows thing i mean... damn wow.
>>
>>51871807
If you are just starting, go with Python

The nuances and strengths C++ has over Python will be pretty worthless to a new coder learning menial code, making the learning curve even harder.

Once you start understanding what you are doing and why you are doing it, you can jump into any language pretty easily. And at that point youll know what languages you will need for how you like to code.
>>
What's a good 1440p IPS monitor to get? My main one died and I'm using my backup with fucked up colors and I hate it.

Looking at http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-27-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00P0EQD1Q/ or http://www.amazon.com/PB278Q-2560x1440-DisplayPort-Ergonomic-Back-lit/dp/B009C3M7H0/ any good? Is the UltraSharp even IPS? Can't see anything about it on the page.
>>
I have a domain name that I want to use for custom email, but would prefer not to go through the fucking hassle of setting up and managing my own mail server. Is using your own domain name with Zoho mail a decent mail service for very basic needs? Are there any other (preferably free) services which are comparable or better?
>>
>>51871807
C++ can compile down whereas Python is generally interpreted. This means that C++ is inherently faster since the machine's executing everything directly rather than building and interpreting bytecode on every run. C++ is more complicated and abstract, though. I'd suggest using it only if you need a high amount of power or low-level access to your hardware, such as for video games or drivers, etc. Most other applications that you would want to make may be possible with Python
>>
>>51870641
This goes on sale for like 120$ routinely with sales and rebates. If you can wait or whatever.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236335

I have 3 of them "overclocked" to 74hz.
>>
using a simple .bat file that executes at startup and open some folders:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe "C:\Users\Username\Downloads"´
TIMEOUT 15
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe "C:\Users\Username\Desktop\Games"

problem is that instead of opening downloads it open documents. Other folders after the first open in the correct path.
>>
For some reason, Ctrl+Alt+C doesn't work, which is especially annoying in Photoshop.
It seems like Windows 8.1 just doesn't like this particular combination of keys, because even if I try using a different keyboard or the on-screen keyboard, Ctrl+Alt+C doesn't seem to get registered at all.

Anyone experiencing the same issue, or know how to fix this ? It's driving me mad desu senpaitachi
>>
File: μStopItBoner.png (905 B, 125x117) Image search: [Google]
μStopItBoner.png
905 B, 125x117
What are ways to minimize file sizes? I want to make my reaction images under 1kb, specifically the black and white ones. I resize them so the largest dimension is 125px (The size of a 4chan non-OP thumbnail)
For a black/white reaction image I do
convert reaction.jpg -resize "125x125>" +dither -colors 2 -type bilevel smallreaction.

and either png or gif since jpgs were always higher
for the png i would do pngcrush -brute to reduce the size and then I'd compare and sometimes the gif would be smaller and sometimes the png would.
Anything else I can do to reduce filesize?
>>
my friend wants a gaymen computer and I'm trying to decide what would be the better deal, an i5-6600k or an i7-4690k.
>>
>>51872766
>i7-4690k
>i7
>4690k
That's an i5, anon. It's also a better deal than 6600k.
>>
>>51872647
but why anon

this ruins it for everyone else
>>
>>51868951
I have a job starting next month and they want a person who knows how to script in Ruby. I've used Ruby before but never for scripting.

Any good sources to get started with it?
>>
Is there any way to mass download from command line soundcloud links?
>>
Using Ubuntu 15.10
Every time I start it up it says something like: cannot parse PCC from pcct
Help?
Kernel: 4.2.7
CPU: Intel i5-5200u
>>
>>51869656
That's hilarious, might do this to a friend. How did this happen?
>>
>>51872846
Why? It's just a reaction image. The message is shown in the thumbnail and one doesn't need to click it to get the full picture
(although clicking it will give you a picture of higher quality and lower file size since 4chan's thumbnail creator sucks)
>>
Stupid question here
I just got a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 and was transfering some files
I didn't see it in the "Safely remove hardware" list.
Is it safe just to unplug it from my computer?
>>
Can I plug these speakers straight into this bluetooth receiver or do they have to go to a stereo receiver.

Speakers:
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-NS-AW350W-All-Weather-Outdoor-Speakers/dp/B0001VHARY/ref=pd_rhf_se_s_cp_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41S2050APEL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_SL500_SR135%2C135_&refRID=129VWKMPCAKCDEZ1ETZX

Reciever:
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YBA-11-Bluetooth-Wireless-Receiver/dp/B00B9B4IYI/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1450114872&sr=8-9&keywords=blue+tooth+reciever+for+speakers
>>
File: 1446954102241.jpg (69 KB, 710x640) Image search: [Google]
1446954102241.jpg
69 KB, 710x640
What's the best e-mail service to use for professionals? One that doesn't store your data and sell your data like gmail?
>>
>>51873053
No expert but...
If you're certain it's done copying and all windows that showed it's contents are closed, go ahead and unplug it.
>>
>>51872891
youtube-dl
Put the soundcloud links in a text file, one per line
youtube-dl --batch-file soundcloudlist.txt
>>
>>51873100
Thanks, just what I needed.
>>
>>51873055
You will need an amp.

You could use something small and cheap like a Lepai T amp, or you could change the speakers and get some powered speakers.

Its essentially made to retrofit bluetooth into an older receiver.
>>
>>51873091
That's what I was thinking, too. Just wanted to make sure.
It'd be my luck that I'd do this for a month then brick it
>>
>>51873108

Would these be better. Just mount, plug, and play right?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C3ZOM2C?psc=1
>>
Best ISO mounter?
>>
>>51873154
isohunt
>>
>>51873171
nice meme
>>
>>51873141
Yeah
They have an internal amp and bluetooth so you just hook them up and send them music through bluetooth.

Looks like a better option than the other stuff
>>
File: 1448333257871.gif (276 KB, 340x444) Image search: [Google]
1448333257871.gif
276 KB, 340x444
Mfw i bought a third party ink cartridge and it doesnt work when it listed my printer model on the package...
>>
>>51873113
I think the worst that could happen is corrupting some files that you were copying. No critical files on the phone were open.
>>
>>51873154
Not DaemonTools, since they started packing malware into their installers and get rid of their zip packages.
>>
>>51873183
Thanks man. Yamaha seemed like a better brand because I've never heard of Sound Appeal before but looks like less hassle.
>>
>>51868970
hey Earl, how are ya?
>>
>>51873090
Your own mail server.
>>
>>51873190
I am lucky my couple year old canon that uses the split color cartridges.

I buy the whole color set of 5 for $4.79 shipped prime. Works great and doesnt care that they are generic refills.

Ive thought about getting one of those continuous ink systems
>>
>>51873261
how do you make your own mail server.
>>
>>51871842
could you provide more details?
>>
>>51873273
I really need one of those too
Its really annoys me when i thought brother is the most stable one and still manage to give me shit. Moved from hp
>>
>>51873278
By buying a doman and hosting and setting up smtp.
>>
>>51873343
seems like too much work and money when gmail is free and im not a terrorist
>>
WHEN WILL TRON BECOME REALITY. I WANT TO LIVE IN A COMPUTER
>>
>>51873357
A mail/webserver or VPS doesn't cost all that much.
A domain costs even less.
You don't need a super expensive server just to run a mail service. You could probably manage it with an RPi if you want to host it yourself too.
>>
>>51873394
Who do you actually buy a domain from. Like nobody owns the internet, why do you have to pay for one.
>>
>>51873273
And printers laying about ink running out, no allowing me to print more, but somehow taking out the chip on the cartridge and putting it back on solves it
>>
>>51873424
Think of it as buying an address, much like how most ISPs would have you pay a little extra for a static IP.
You buy a domain from whatever domain registrar tickles your fancy, they'll all give you pretty much the same service at roughly the same prices. How much it costs depends on the type of domain, whether it's .io, .com, .net, or whatever.

I suppose you >could< >>technically<< host a nameserver yourself as well, but have fun with that.
>>
Is google image search not working from 4chan today or is it just me? When I try it just comes back with "The URL doesn't refer to an image, or the image is not publicly accessible."
>>
>>51873604
Google image search from 4chan is kill
>>
>>51873625
On purpose?
>>
>>51872858
>I've used Ruby before but never for scripting.
what do you mean "for scripting"?
>>
>>51872619
pls halp
>>
Is a 1440p monitor worth it?

I must eliminate the jaggies
>>
>>51873742
>I must eliminate the jaggies
back 2 /pol/
>>
>>51873664
Um...I guess for automation? I've only ever used Ruby for webdev stuff before.

Maybe using Ruby in general for non-web stuff?
>>
>>51873733
create shortcuts to what you want to open (.lnk files) and place them somewhere safe like your windows folder
then target those
problem solved
>>
>>51873765
Gas the pixels, aliasing war now.
>>
File: nahtpc.png (58 KB, 1163x635) Image search: [Google]
nahtpc.png
58 KB, 1163x635
This a bad idea? I want to build a nas/htpc. Should I wait for newer tech?

I don't plan on doing any gaming so I won't be purchasing a video card though I may eventually put my 670 in there when I replace it.

I already have all the storage and ram from an old build that I'm going to replace. I know the case only supports one 3.5" drive but I figure with no video card I should be able to squeeze two. If not, oh well.
>>
Where to get init script for xmd for openrc to use lxdm?
>>
I uploaded borderline lewd child model pictures in

c
h
a
n

using someone's wifi 2 streets away from my street.

Am I going to get tracked?
I used an old laptop with W7 installed, MAC address wasn't spoofed.
>>
>>51873625
>>51873604
>>51873636
I came here becuase of this.
Is there a way to automate uploading the image to google istead of linking 4chan? Anyone know how to reverse search an image using curl?
>>
>>51874513
Yes
your mac is in their router logs
u dun goofed.
>>
Why can't every USB port from now on be a microUSB port?
>>
File: wojak-rage.jpg (236 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
wojak-rage.jpg
236 KB, 633x758
Yesterday I've installed some .NET updates for Win7 but somehow an unnecessary thing sneaked together: CompatTelRunner.exe.

This is a file that comes with KB2952664 but I never chose to install this update, only the .NET framework updates. I worry that these .NET updates might automatically install dependencies or similar stuff without the user permission.

Can anyone link me an up to date list of Win7 updates to avoid at all costs? This one was a Win10 preparation update for example which I never wanted to install, yet it went through anyway.. I bet there're another 2 or 3 that went through the same way, this is really annoying.
>>
>>51874682
The answer is Linux, pleb.
>>
i got a nice mitx mobo with built-in wifi. unfortunately, the wifi is extremely terrible. can i just buy the cheapest pair of antennae on amazon to replace the stock ones or do i need to be picky?

>>51874682
a lot of ms products automatically prompt windows updates. the updates aren't packaged with the software though, so just unplug your router while you install in the future.
>>
>>51874706
What's the smallest GNU/Linux DE-ready I can find right now? I'm was going to install Mint but is 1,5 GB, I'd like something smaller.
>>
>>51874797
Elementary OS is around 900MB or so, based on Ubuntu.
>>
>>51874808
isn't that the beggar OS though? that guy pisses me off, I'd rather stay away from any sort of code related to him.
>>
Does anyone know why the Google image search function was broken?

What's the point
>>
>>51874825
if you're using chrome like a non-c͏uck you can just expand the image and right click it. "Search Google for image" is in the browser context menu now.
>>
hopefully some electronics nerds are lurking, already posted this on /diy/:

hi guys, quick question about how resistors work/are rated.

I have 5v supply coming from a wallwart via USB, and I need 3.3v (for an ESP8266). ESP8266 apparently requires about 150-200ma when transmitting, 3.3v @ 200ma gives a power requirement of 0.6W.

Obviously the easiest way to do this is a voltage divider, 1700 ohm on one side and 3300 ohm on the other. I have a 1000 ohm resistor, a 680 ohm resistor, and the 3300 ohm resistor - they're all rated for 1/4W or 0.25W, less than half of my power requirement.

Will it cause a problem if I put the 1k & 680 ohm resistors in series, then the 3.3v going to the esp8266, then the 3.3k resistor going to ground? Will the resistors blow out because of the load?

(I kind of find this laughable, a resistor blowing up because of 0.6W across it, but it's always best to be safe than sorry)

thanks!
>>
>>51874797
openSUSE.
>>
>>51874825
I used to use a script I wrote to reverse search images in google.
I've adapted it to upload to imgur and reverse search from there.
>>
>>51874843
Nah, no problem. Have fun.
>>
File: GPU core clock.jpg (2 MB, 6160x1440) Image search: [Google]
GPU core clock.jpg
2 MB, 6160x1440
My GPU clockrate is low even during load. My GPU is an MSI Radeon R9 390. I have installed Crimson and MSI Afterburner.

Why won't my GPU put in the effort to stay at the set core clock frequency when the framerate is lower than the screen refresh rate? It feels like it's lazing around at 90 FPS even though I have set the max FPS at 121 in-game. The GPU doesn't even get hotter than 47 C! When I stress-test it with Kombustor, it runs at max clock speed at all times and stabilizes at around 70-75 C. Is there anything I can do to force the card to fucking do its job properly and make an effort while playing games?
>>
>>51874904
the human eye can't see above ~75 frames per second, stop whining kid
>>
>>51874852
The network install? I already have a Debian net install ISO but I can't into CLI at all. Is there really nothing smaller than 1.5GB/1GB, other than eOS and not a net installer, with a DE inscluded in the ISO? I'm on data cap and I can't download much, otherwise I'd just install Mint.
>>
>>51874817
I've never heard of this. Could you explain?
>>
>>51874925
This one's just under 1GB:
http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/iso/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-KDE-Live-x86_64-Current.iso

CLI is not complicated at all. You just need to use some commands to get around and shit. Basically "ls" to list files and folders and "cd" to enter them (or "cd .." to go up one directory) and vim or nano to edit text files, the rest you can Google.
>>
>>51874945
http://liliputing.com/2015/02/elementary-os-devs-say-youre-cheating-dont-pay-free-software.html
>>
>>51874913
This statement is wrong and you should abandon this way of thinking immediately.
>>
>>51874956
oh nice! I'm browsing the http folder right now, they have a Gnome version too like Mint... this looks good, though do you recommend KDE version? I've zero experience with any linux DE so I've no idea which is more functional or less buggy.
>>
How am I supposed to create a google account if I don't have a phone number?
>>
>>51869292
>http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/tRy8pg
Looks fine, but I'd get the k model, you'll probably want to OC in the future even if you don't think you want to now.
>>
>>51875005
They don't allow that anymore, you can only register without a phone number if you are registering from an Android device on a Wi-Fi network (there's an exploit), otherwise you need to get a free VoIP number but there're not many services that offer free numbers, if they do they probably track the shit outta you.

Anyways, you can find video guides on YT how to get a free VoIP number, if you wanna try anyway.
>>
>>51869937
Mate, the 670 was/still is a good card. I'm running two right now and it almost maxes out TW3.
>>
>>51875000
KDE will require some small configuration to get it to your liking, so perhaps you'd like GNOME better (I prefer KDE myself).

openSUSE itself also requires some small configuration to get things working (non-free video codecs and shit), but you can Google that.
>>
>>51875014
Ignore this guy, he's an idiot.
>>
>>51875058
ignore this guy, he isnt posting anything of value
>>
>>51870354
Get another EVO 850 250gb and run them in RAID0
>>
when I hibernate my computer at night it turns back on by itself at some random time between 3 AM and 5 AM

When I check the power log it says that the cause of the wake up is unknown.

I already disabled wake up from mouse and other likely devices, how do I find out what is causing it?
>>
>>51875066
Explain in what typical scenario the CPU (especially of that caliber) will be a bottleneck you dumb fuck.
>>
>>51875080
ghost
>>
File: IMG_7299.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7299.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
So I'm going through the pile of computer parts I got from a yard sale for cheap back on Saturday, and I noticed this little thing:

There was a Gigabyte motherboard, and there was some unknown processor in it. I took it out, and it appears that it's brown around the edges, and there is no label to identify the processor model.

What happened here? Did it get overclocked and burned out? I don't have a spare PSU at the moment so I can't test it. Is anybody able to identify the CPU based on the small label on the bottom?

All I know is that this is a LGA 775, DDR2 motherboard, so it could be a Celeron, Pentium 4, Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, or Core 2 Extreme...?
>>
>>51875094
A very poor lapping job.
>>
>>51875080
Have you tried disabling wakeup-on-lan from the BIOS?
>>
>>51875117
it's all disabled already

it has been doing it ever since I installed windows 10
>>
>>51875104
Lapping? Does that mean it's broken?
>>
>>51875094
I tried to scan the barcode there, but the image quality isn't good enough.
>>
File: intel_lapping_5.jpg (21 KB, 550x366) Image search: [Google]
intel_lapping_5.jpg
21 KB, 550x366
>>51875136
It means to wet sand your CPU on a something like glass, to make your CPU heatsink as flat as possible.
Its supposed to help temps.

When you dont get all the way through, and you are only getting the edges, it means your sanding technique is bad.

There is a reason you use thermal paste, to take up those small imperfections. Leaving it in that shape probably made temps worse
>>
>>51875125
It was a yes-or-no question. Does "it's all disabled already" mean you have disabled the wake-on-lan feature in the BIOS settings?
>>
>>51875081
I'm running a 2500k. I recently out two GPUs in my PC. Before I OC'ed, they would only go to around 65% usage. After I OC'ed to 4.6Ghz they go up to 90-99%
>>
>>51875136
correlation and causation.

Yes it's probably broken.

No, not from the lapping itself.

The fact that someone went out of their way to do that to the CPU means that they were probably abusing it elsewhere with overclocking and cooling. It may be fine but it might not be. It's like buying a riced out car on craigslist. It's probably fucked.
>>
>>51875173
I specifically checked the bios as well as the device thing in windows and they were both disabled.
>>
>>51875186
>implying you shouldnt just build a whole new rig every time your GPU is old
>>
>>51875218
>there are people itt that can't even afford to drop 1.5k every 3 years on their biggest hobby
sad
>>
>>51875209
I had an Asrock motherboard which would turn itself on from powered OFF in the middle of the night.

It was a windows scheduled task
>>
>>51875186
Not bad.

I have a K myself, despite arguing against it here, but it turned out to not like being OC'd much.

If you're unlucky like me, it won't do you shit.
>>
File: wut.jpg (137 KB, 518x685) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
137 KB, 518x685
What happened to publicbt.com? I'm getting DNS errors when I try to connect to the home page, did the site go off? I didn't find any news though.
>>
>>51875268
Works for me.
>>
My computer just bsodded during a game, and booted in repair mode. However, I had a power cut during the repair and now it won't boot. It must detect the hard drive (since there's no _ in the top left when there's not bootable device), but it's just a black screen where you'd attribute the windows logo. Is my hard drive/ graphics card fucked up?

It was suggested that I "mash" f8 when it boots up to access the recovery menu, but it's not doing anything.
>>
>>51868951
What's a good Facebook Messenger apk alternative? FOSS preferable.
>>
>>51875309
boot into bios and see if your hard drives are actually detected
>>
>>51875309
This >>51875326
and fix the MBR (Google it) if it's detected.
>>
File: IMG_0387.png (211 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0387.png
211 KB, 600x300
What's the best video card for gaming I can get with $100?

Links would be very helpful.
>>
>>51875417
logicalincrements.com
>>
Does using a liveusb if Linux kill the USB?
>>
>>51875173
I specifically checked the bios as well as the device thing in windows and they were both disabled.
>>
>>51875449
English only on this site, please.
>>
>>51875209
>>51875471
The answer then is obvious.

Linux.
>>
>>51875417
used GTX 770 on ebay can be had for around that much.

It outperforms a GTX 960
>>
>>51874904

>m-m-muh fps

School's out already?
>>
>>51875417
This.

http://newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=14-500-349
>>
>>51875590
This. Your best bet is a used GPU.
>>
The spacebar on my keyboard is dead. Im having to paste spaces. How would I make an alias that turns some other useless key into spacebar?
>>
>>51875776
autohotkey
>>
>have 4 gb ram installed
>only 3.7 usable
what gives
>>
Seriously is 1440p IPS a good idea for a monitor for games?
>>
What's the best way to remove mounting bracket screws for a hard drive when the screw head is fucked? I've got three out with an electric screwdriver but the fourth one's has been worn down by shitty screwing.
>>
>>51876176
what's your graphics card?
>>
>>51876213
980 Ti.

And I'm trying to make a decision between higher resolutions and more hertz.
>>
>>51876186
a really powerful magnet. put it on the screw and you can just screw it out
>>
>>51876164
Used to be due to having x86 architecture, but even that shouldn't stop you from being able to use more.

Are you running Windows 2000?
>>
>>51876240
win7 sp1 x64
>>
>>51876221
more hertz is definitely better for fast paced video games.

i would also go with a TN panel for the lower responsetimes, unless you really want the better colors and viewing angles of an IPS.

your card is powerful enough for 1440p, so i would go for that.
>>
>>51876244
What (exact) sort of RAM do you have, what CPU, and what motherboard?
>>
File: bestbuy1.png (53 KB, 854x559) Image search: [Google]
bestbuy1.png
53 KB, 854x559
My mother is giving me her Best Buy card to buy whatever laptop I want up to like $1500 as my big university present. I'm going for electrical engineering. What should I do with this opportunity? New Thinkpads seem shit-tier and I feel fine with my 2560p.
>>
>>51876245
But both 144Hz and 1440p is expensive.
>>
>>51876290
do you want more space on your desktop for better workflow or do you want smoother looking games?
>>
>>51876263
2x DDR2 2GB @ 667 MHz running in dual channel, ASUS P5KPL/EPU motherboard (which supports up to 4 GB per their specification) and Intel E3300 CPU. It's a quite dated setup but I don't see why I wouldn't be able to have all of the RAM.
>>
>>51876302
I want both, but I don't want to ask for a $700 Christmas present even though I'm already being a spoiled child by asking for a monitor in the first place.
>>
Is there a way to open all images on a thread at the same time?
>>
>>51876516
appchan x
>>
When I want to open a webm in chromium, the tab crashes every time. What can I do?
>>
File: 1449259795235.jpg (80 KB, 398x600) Image search: [Google]
1449259795235.jpg
80 KB, 398x600
Does uMatrix clear dom storage for sites you select to block cookies from? Does ticking the "Delete local storage content set by blocked hostnames" box under its dashboard preferences count blocked hostnames as any site you've chosen to block cookies from, or does it mean something else?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.