[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give me one good reason (Besides the name) you don't use
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6
Give me one good reason (Besides the name) you don't use Fedora /g/?
>>
i have a good operating system that handles all the desktop needs I have (mostly high pixel density support) while also being an adequate server when I need to ssh into it.
>>
>>51865561
I am unemployed (in Uni).
>>
That name
>>
>>51865561
Because I'm using Antergos atm. Arch but with more comfy.

Fedora is alright, but the package manager can be a bit clunky at times.
>>
Slow, bloated, unremovable selinux nsa shit.
It's Ubuntu tier.
>>
Isn't it just centos but for desktops?
>>
>>51865561
Why are weeaboos so into Linux?
>>
Because I'm not and cba to switch
>>
I prefer Arch over RHEL distros.
>>
>>51865561
I'm not a 1366x768 kek
>>
File: crisis core.png (134 KB, 463x343) Image search: [Google]
crisis core.png
134 KB, 463x343
>>51865561
>gnome
>>
>>51865561

I'll do you one better, I'll give you two reasons.

1. The most important is the lack of software in the repos.

2. Fedora is sponsored by RedHat, a U.S. based company that must follow U.S. laws, including patents. Their version of openssl did not have elliptical curves for years. Only until Fedora's (really RedHat's) lawyers gave the okay did they add this in. Also, their full disk encryption is AES 128 bit. This works, but other distros use AES 256 bit by default, and I shudder to think what else Fedora cripples due to U.S. law. Or even worse, what laws they would have to follow in the future.
>>
I gave it a try and liked it, I want to make my mind clear about repositories and I'm still too noob so I will stick to Mint MATE until that
>>
Because Windows
>>
>>51865775
>tfw when 2. is actually a valid reason

I just realy started to enjoy it, and it's so comfy! Why /g/ do you always have to shove reality into my face? Are there any conta-arguments to this? Should I disable SELinux? It works too well for me to switch now...
>>
I do actually.

I tried to switch to opensuse leap for more stability.
But it only gave me headaches. I have no idea why yast is so praised, it fucking sucked.

Dnf is great,
Copr is awesome

but the tiny number of packages is a pain in the butt
You can clearly see rpmfusion maintainers have a hard time keeping up with the rapid release cycle of it.
>>
fedora is shit
>>
>>51865590
This. I never actually got around trying Fedora. Is it stable?
>>
>>51865873

Same anon who you replied to. I really like Fedora, it's an awesome, polished distro, and is probably the most secure out of the box. SELinux is a good tool, and if I were you I would leave everything the way it is.

As of the immediate future, you don't have anything to worry about. Keep in mind that any news about backdoors, U.S. encryption laws, etc. would be immediately on /g/, where you could then make a decision to keep using Fedora or not.
>>
>>51865561
>pls no bully
>bullies over os choice
lol
>>
Because I have a job and use Ubuntu.
Also not a SJW
>>
File: 1447784733297.jpg (64 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1447784733297.jpg
64 KB, 640x480
Because I don't wear one.
>>
Mainly because it's shit.
>>
I have a hackintosh.
>>
>>51865998
W-Who?
>>
>>51866123
:3
>>
>>51865561
WTF is up with his shoulder?
>>
Because I don't want to reinstall every time a new version comes out
>>
>>51865944
Depending on your definition of stable. For a daily? Probably, like always, depending on what you're doing.

I've been running Fedora since 21, through 22 ending at 23 and it was all a single installation, updated using fedup (21-22) and dnf system-upgrade (22-23).

Single biggest issue I've had was xorg shitting itself (big surprise) after a long period of inactivity, it couldn't wake up the monitor from sleep.
But it was caused by i3-lock as a lockscreen. Switched back to xscreensaver, never experienced it again.

Truth is, Fedora is really aimed at software developers and early adopters, and that's something you gotta keep it mind.
It always has the latest stuff (first to rock systemd, will be first to utilize wayland as default).
And packaging RPMs is a bliss compared to other package management systems, especially if you file a request for your personal space on fedorapeople.org. It's like 2GB of storage, but SSH access is nice as fuck, if you're a beginner dev and can't afford a server and just want to play with stuff.

But

Fedora falls short behind Ubuntu/Debian in terms of number of available software, and that's a bugger if you want all your games, emulators and weird obscure software in one place. There are COPRs to make up for it (like Ubuntu's PPAs) but someone has to package that software by yourself).

What I like the most about it are the packages which are kept as close to upstream as possible.
>>
File: geck.png (21 KB, 792x501) Image search: [Google]
geck.png
21 KB, 792x501
Because I use the superior RPM distribution.
>>
I use Windows because I'm not on the spectrum
>>
>>51865561
Mint works just fine.
>>
>red hat testing
>>
>>51865561
systemd
>>
>>51865561
Mint has a better software selection, is easier to use and has a much friendlier and more aesthetic desktop environment
>>
>>51865590
You mean Arch for niggers that are afraid of the text mode install
>>
>>51866534
Cinnamon a shit.

Enjoy your screen-tearing.
>>
>>51866672
>screen tearing
>not xfce
>>
>>51866718
As an xfce user, I can confirm. How do I get rid of it? Using another window manager?
>>
>>51866811
compton
>>
>>51865600
>ubuntu tier

So it's good then?
>>
>>51866666
pents checked
>>
>>51866666 (AYY)
Pents confirm
>>
>>51866666
dayum babe you're digitz ROCK!!!!
>>
File: slack1.png (31 KB, 163x192) Image search: [Google]
slack1.png
31 KB, 163x192
because it's not Slackware

I use it on my laptop though, GNOME is great for that.
>>
>>51865561
It's developed by an NSA front company.
>>
How good is it compared to Ubuntu Mate for Java / Android development? I guess not really much
>>
>>51865561
me on the left
>>
>>51865759
Gnome is comfy anon
>>
>>51870193
Don't you have better things to do than watching garbage show that aired ages ago, joe? You are trying way to hard to fit in.
>>
>>51870193
change the panel from black to grey
>>
>>51870278
>aired ages ago
Anon, Love Live aired only 20 years ago.
>>
>>51870278
>Garbage

Filtered
>>
Switched last month from Debian. I concede that there are quirks to getting Debian to function completely, but Jesus Fedora gave me some headaches:

- Why no HTML5/h.264/whatever you call it out of the box?
- Why is it so fucking difficult to get non-free stuff working? (forgive me RMS)

I'm guessing using rpmfusion is just a standard procedure for a desktop daily user, and maybe it's because I knew APT so well before switching, but I just don't get the basics of how to Fedora.

I'll still be using it since I'm trying to double this workstation up as a vfio KVM host for Win10 and Debian sucked balls at doing that.
>>
>>51865659
Because they're unemployable (many are convicted pedos), so they have alot of free time to tinker.
>>
It's Linux.
>>
>>51865561
Honestly, I just don't want to learn to use another package manager. apt4lyfe
>>
>>51865561
That's a boy.
>>
>>51871243
But he's cuter than most girls
>>
Because I've been a debian user happily for ages, and was a Slackware and netbsd user before that. That means I now require the package system work, and I actually know what goes on under the hood.

That's something fedora doesn't have, and a trait fedora can't stand in its users.
>>
Because there are only 3 real distributions you should consider

Arch, Gentoo, and linuxforniggers
>>
>>51871195
this desu
also the name
>>
>>51871311
>draw a girl
>call it a boy
Genius. Gets my dick hard every time tomodachi.
>>
Because I already have enough shit with issues my company's software has with windows, getting that shit to work with any linux distro would be harder than teaching a dog how to code efficiently in java.
>>
because im not some faggot that spams desktop threads all the time
>>
>>51871195
dnf search
dnf install
dnf update

rly hard
>>
>>51865561
drivers for bluetooth are garbage
>>
>>51865561
Because it has a horrible package manager
>>
RPM
>>
>>51871753
No it doesn't.
>>
>>51865561
Source?
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.