[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Currently saving for new PC setup. > What jobs did /g/ do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: geek.jpg (14 KB, 385x261) Image search: [Google]
geek.jpg
14 KB, 385x261
Currently saving for new PC setup.

> What jobs did /g/ do during university/college time to be able to buy expensive/good hardware?
>>
>tfw working full-time and attending weekend classes
>tfw more like attending university during job time
>>
eh? none. if your working while at uni then you shouldnt be there. you will fail.
>>
>>51863159
sell remakes of popular designs in public domain on sites like zazzle and redbubble for steady $200 a month
>>
i live at home while i attend uni and i'm disabled so i basically get paid £2.6k every three months to turn up
>>
>>51863159
Simple.
I stopped going to college because in my area, work experience is worth more than qualification and degrees to employers.
And I started working in a bookies.
>>
>>51863248
Country = GB?
>>
>>51863267
America? Hows the wage?
>>
>>51863277

that's the one
>>
>>51863159
prostitution
>>
>>51863159
I just used the same shitty Acer laptop through all 4 years of college. Any money I made went towards rent, food, gas, and tuition/books. Once you get out of college and get a good job, then you should have plenty of money to buy whatever PC setup you want.
>>
>>51863231
If you're retarded and can't manage time
>>
>>51863342
>not being retarded
>going to college
shiggy diggy
>>
>>51863294
UK.
I'm 18, this is my first job, I'm currently on a 25 hour contract, but with overtime, I consistently work 35-40 hour weeks.
£7.80/hour.
Also get commission and bonus packets along the way.

It's a damned good job for what it is. I enjoy it. I'm in the dry, there's air conditioning, the customers are a laugh, and the work is easy.
>>
>>51863328
I literally laughed :D

If that's a true story, I am sorry for you :(
>>
>>51863159
I scamed people.
I still do
>>
>>51863384
>*tips fedora*
>>
Well I only work in the summer, but engineering internships pay pretty well and I don't have to worry about paying for school or housing so I end up with a decent amount of cash by the end of a summer.
>>
>Made contacts with other students and people who had already graduated
>Got the mandatory internship for my bachelor's degree this way
>Put in extra effort in courses where it actually made a real difference in how the professors looked at you
>One of the professors had someone come to them asking for a summer intern work on a project in the same field as a course where I had put in a lot of extra effort to make the fastest program of any of my classmates (most peoples' programs did the job in 10-20 minutes, mine did it in 30 seconds)
>Naturally the first person he contacts is me
>Work the summer on a project
>Get to continue working on it as a part time student researcher the next spring term as my master's thesis project
>Most people do their master's thesis projects as unpaid university student researchers
>Now working on another project in the same field as a full time salaried university researcher

In short: Sometimes doing more than just the mandatory minimum pays off.
>>
>>51863455
>Got the mandatory internship for my bachelor's degree this way
oh shit, totally forgot, I think I have to get this one ticked off this year
I mean, I'm working full-time, so I could just write a paper for the dean's office, but an internship might be a good way to check out some new company that maybe wouldn't hire me right now because "no experience in niche technology X" or whatever
>>
File: LickingThePlate1-crop2-1920x984.jpg (239 KB, 1920x984) Image search: [Google]
LickingThePlate1-crop2-1920x984.jpg
239 KB, 1920x984
>high end pc hardware
is pretty overrated.

Second-hand Thinkpads from like 2011 can handle like 90% of computer tasks as well or better than most high-end rigs, and cost a fraction.

I currently use a T420:
- Dual i5 2.5GHz
- 8GB RAM
- Intel SSD
Docked that shit up to two large monitors (27" & 23"), some speaks, mech kb, actual mouse, external harddisk, etc. Even looking at external GPU now. Makes for a nice working desktop setup now.

All second hand stuff, so cost less than the equavalent of 1000USD total. Just buy smart, OP. Computers don't have to be expensive.

Unless you're into gaymen.
>>
>>51863455
>>51863513
Your schools require an internship? How do they force you to do it, do they line one up for you and hand it to you if you're too retarded to land a job yourself or what? My school does a pretty good job pushing undergrads into research positions if they're interested in it, but they pretty much just leave you to yourself if you want some industry experience. Pretty much everyone still ends up getting internships on their own though because you would have to be retarded to graduate with zero experience.
>>
>>51863520
I already have two PC's: A laptop (Inspirion i7 bla) and an immobile one which I intend to upgrade.
If your PC is the ThinkPad from the bst-thread with the 4+ external harddrives, congratulations, it looked pretty good.

I like a clean look though and I dont wanna use minimum specs or task requirements.
I am also just using it for games, so some potent hardware might be useful.
>>
>>51863571
>how do they force you to do it
Just like they force you to pass exams: it's mandatory and you won't pass the year if you don't do it. Most universities here have some kinda system where companies can post adverts for internships/jobs and students can reply to them. Still, no one forces you to use it. If you can land an internship on your own, no problem.
>>
File: computs.jpg (1 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
computs.jpg
1 MB, 4160x2340
>>51863667
Nah, not that guy.
Also, I think my setup looks pretty clean ;_;

>old pic, upgraded second screen since
>>
>>51863571
While they do offer the best students positions in university research projects, they do generally encourage you to find yourself an internship on your own before helping you out.

However if you fail at getting an internship/summer job in the sector or get hired for a university research project, they do allow people to do projects on their own or in small groups instead. I recall one guy making an iOS app and getting it published on the App Store and a 3 person group making a game with it's own engine from scratch and getting it on the Google Play Store back when it was still called the Android Marketplace.
>>
>>51863779
Nice setup!
That plug board at the side though...

You are a linux user if I am not mistaken?
>>
>>51863868
Did it pay off?
>>
>>51863396
Hi Anita!
>>
>>51863884
Plugboard?

I use Antergos Linux. Best decision I've ever made for my computer habits.
>>
>>51864062
The thing taped/screwed onto the left table leg is a plugboard as far as I know
>>
>>51864062
Can you play video games on Linux? :D
>>
>>51864560
>University student
>Play video games
Ladies and gentlemen.
/v/
>>
>>51864801
Ever heard of semester breaks, genius?

go back to s4s
>>
>>51865557
>go back to s4s
The irony.
>>
>>51863231
Embarrassing

>>51863159
I'm almost done with my CS degree, and I worked at a small store for the first year, and then I got a research job with the head of the CS research. Getting paid $15 an hour and my name will get to be on the final research. A lot of people I know end up doing internships for money. Or just retail.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.