[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
People of /g/, I’m in need of some good advice here. Basically
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
People of /g/, I’m in need of some good advice here.

Basically I’m at a weird point in my life, I’m in college studying something that is losing my interest more and more every day, and during the last 3/4 years I studied stuff I was interested in on my own.

My problem now is: I’m pretty good at a lot of stuff, but I have no idea how to make any of these things into more than an interest, given that the positions I’d like to apply for are extremely specific and mostly require a degree in computer science or similar (which has nothing to do with my course of studies, and basically doesn’t exist where I live).
For example: I’m pretty good with photoshop, I can edit stuff to a significant degree of quality, but I can’t draw so I don’t think I can create original art, logos etc. from scratch.
I’m also pretty good at web development, I can create a pretty standard html5/css3/php website, but I wouldn’t know where to start with a big site like a social media or an online shop, plus there’s web tools out there that can do it faster and with a reasonable outcome.
I’m pretty good at video editing as well, (let’s say what’s needed to edit a youtube video, editing clips, transitions, sound/music, text, zoom/cropping etc), but that’s about it.
And lately I’ve been interested in game development so I learned stuff about mechanics, testing and tweaking.
And the list goes on.

So if any of you have been in this position, how did you come out of it? did you choose randomly and tried to specialize in something? how did you put this self-assessed knowledge into a CV and eventually into a job?
Any advice appreciated.

>tl;dr: I have basic knowledge of many things, how do I choose something and turn it into more than an interest?
>>
What are you studying?
>>
>>51857961
Basically languages and culture/society of the countries where those languages are spoken.
>>
self bump for halp
>>
>>51858002

If i was in your position, which i actually am , i would just fuck off studying for a while. Take a break from all that shit, you don't even know what you are going to do. Take a year off , go travelling or some shit.
>>
>>51858109
>Update

To add onto this, maybe look into some junior positions. See what you want to do.
>>
Certified dog walking seems to be a thing people do these days
>>
>>51858002
Well, Larry Wall was studying linguistics. What's the worst that can happen if you get into programming?

So I don't know how you can land some internship that's not in your field. It's probably the quickest way to go from "I can write a few functions for this big project" to "now I have a better understanding of how this project works".

The thing is that actual work experience will also be the only thing that will help you find some direction.

What I've learnt is that your colleagues will appreciate your broad general knowledge and you may be able to put them all to good use (depending on the environment), but to actually get a position, I don't know.
>>
>>51858134

best new meme dec 2015
>>
>>51858109
That was basically the idea I had, strong possibility that might happen.

>>51858138
I'm absolutely ok with getting into programming, the issue is that where I live there's not really a computer science college, hence the choice of languages. So any knowledge I'd get of programming would also fall in the self-assessed category. But thanks for the tips nevertheless.
>>
>can't draw
That's the same thing as saying "I haven't practiced drawing enough to be good at it" if you like it start drawing shit, and you'll get good at it. People are not born with drawing skills
>>
>>51858278

Fuck being a jack of all trades. Here is my advice other than fucking off from studying. Dedicate yourself to one goal at a time . This could be programming , drawing , photoshop etc. Work on projects on github etc. Do this for at least one hour for 40 days. You'll either get better at it or can confidently say you don't like it.
>>
>>51858278
That's the thing though, you don't need text on a piece of wood pulp telling others what you know about programming. Just learn it, apply it to personal projects, and present it.
>>
>>51858400
>>51858457
These are actually great pieces of advice. I'll try to relax and focus on a thing at a time, and on doing stuff instead of just learning about it. Github and co. look like great places to start.
Thanks a lot people.
>>
>>51857918

Finish your studies an then learn programming, you lazy fuck.
>>
>>51857918
Here's some advice: Unless you're at first year at college, don't quit. You invested your time in this and it would all go to waste. You can't put 'college dropout' on your cv. Also there are many jobs that require higher education, any kind, so don't worry if what you're studying isn't of much interest to you anymore. Just finish it and be done with it.

Another important thing. Your work doesn't have to be your hobby. When choosing professions you should look at working conditions, hours, comfort and pay. Research this and choose appropriately. If you make your hobby your main income you'll probably grow to hate it, cause you'll care about it and won't have enough control to change things you don't like about your company.
>>
>>51857918
kill yourself
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.