[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Career thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: myhc_30431.jpg (24 KB, 490x270) Image search: [Google]
myhc_30431.jpg
24 KB, 490x270
All career advice.

>How do you build a good resume?
>How to find your first job?
>How to negotiate salary?
>>
>>51856857

How to prioritize learning something that's really in demand right now vs learning something that you really like but jobs are elsewhere?
>>
Have an active github account with a few good looking repos
>>
Is mobile development a solid bet? I like android and when I get some money I'll buy a macbook to learn iOS as well.
>>
UK fag here
Current qualifications are A Levels
Do I look for an apprenticeship or study CS at uni?
>>
BUMP?
>>
>>51856857

bump
>>
Get.
Internships.
People keep fucking this up
>>
>>51856864

Can anyone comment on this?
>>
>>51857526
No
http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2014/01/16/why-your-unpaid-internship-makes-you-less-employable/
>>
>>51857526

I'm from Europe and there are not many here.
>>
>How do you build a good resume?
There are plenty of simple but great professional resume examples on the internet. if you use MS Office, you can use it's resume generator.
>How to find your first job?
-check places you used to work as a student, if you did
-check the local employment centre for job advertisements or job "conventions" where a lot of companies represent themselves, and if you are lucky, you can submit 10-20 or more applications in less than an hour
-ask acquaintances. Not /g/, people you actually know.
>How to negotiate salary?
1. If the employer doesn't specify that they want you to specify it, don't. If things get really good and you think you have a good reason (much more experience or such compared to what they were looking for), ASK if you can, THEN start to negotiate. Remember: everyone is replaceable, you are not special, don't act too cocky right at the start.
2. If they ask you about how much you want, ask around the normal wage of people who are employed in such jobs. Don't ask for much less, they will use you. Don't ask for much more, or you'll go straight into the can.
>>
>>51856864

Are you talking about why you should learn java instead of something else?

XP > learning something else, once you're in you're free to learn what you need but first get a job

>>51857015

Stop with the android and go directly for iOS higher cost of entry means less indians that could replace you
>>
/g/ - Random and Tech Support
>>
>>51858258
>Are you talking about why you should learn java instead of something else?

I started learning JEE 3 years ago, did servlet, jsp, hibernate and looked at maven. Then I got depressed and sick and stop doing anything. A few months ago I started again with Android and Python but now getting back to JEE seems very difficult. I find it boring and I'm really unwilling, I think it's something psychological. Maybe I'm remembering those shitty times, I don't know.
>>
>>51858258
>Stop with the android and go directly for iOS higher cost of entry means less indians that could replace you

Aren't indians mostly low tier and the people who search for them need something quick and dirty? I heard really knowledgeable android devs are rare.

Anyway I don't have any money to purchase a macbook let alone an iphone.
>>
>>51858140
>software internship
>unpaid
HAHAHA
>>
>>51858350

> I heard really knowledgeable android devs are rare.

There is rarely any need for them know, most apps are CRUDs and games are often built in unity nowadays

>>51858333

Try angular and d3.js get some public api or big data and do something about it, I assure you it doesn't take much effort to do something fun(once you get over the angular way mindset)

Here's the thing with Java,
It takes too long to get any sort of gratification, boring as shit and no one appreciates a good looking backend,

Moving to front end even though I can't design for shit is one of the best moves I've done in this career, having a portfolio that makes recruiters drooling instead of having nothing but a backend to show for it

Also backend as a service really is getting popular just look at these hell even salesforce

Pubnub
Backand
Parse
firebase
>>
>>51858428
>There is rarely any need for them know

Really? Aren't most companies going mobile now (I know iOS is still bigger in the US but in Europe Android is bigger)? Web development is basically CRUD as well though.
>>
>>51856864
>>51858021
If you aren't following your passion you will never be happy.
>>
>>51860483

This isn't always good advice. You have to think about jobs as well.
>>
OP it depends what the fuck you're studying.
Engineering?
CS?
IT?
>>
>>51860514
The advice is sound, whether or not you have a job is a different story.
>>
>>51860544

If your passion is art you will starve. Maybe you should talk to the thousands of actors serving coffee in LA?
>>
>>51856857

write a 2-3 sentence paragraph shilling for yourself.

make lists containing:
your skills
education
achievements/certifications
job history

put your name/email/phone # on it it pass it out.

i found my first job on a local tech jobs forum. these days i use recruiters (there are lots in bigger cities, and they are free - the biz pays them once you get hired).

i first job i made $35k right out of school w/ a BS in CS.

g'luck anon, happy hunting.
>>
>>51856857
Commit suicide.
>>
passion != profession
>>
>>51860544
Some topics do not have job opportunities that make more than minimum wage at a cubicle. Instead, one should choose a job like IT where one can work once a week for a few hours and make 6 figures, while pursuing their topic of interest in the meantime.
>>
>>51860559
Someone following their true passion would never give it up, regardless of the field they persue.
>>
>>51860483
>>51860514
>>51860544
Sometimes you have to dig the shit at the bottom for a while before you can get to where you want. Don't pass up opportunities to make good money doing something you know how to do.

In the end, if you didn't like the job, it gives you a better idea of what you do want to do and more to talk about in future interviews. Employers (and women) like candidates who know what they want.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.