[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linus and Luke shitting all over used server parts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: 51hzgnHL4KL._SY355_[1].jpg (29 KB, 336x355) Image search: [Google]
51hzgnHL4KL._SY355_[1].jpg
29 KB, 336x355
Am I crazy or are they being really negative in the two recent videos about this subject, as well as intentionally building a very shitty version of the whole idea?

These two videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIJnmwrTHAU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epIlB49SNTI

I think the big problem they're having is they are using server-grade motherboards instead of used workstation LGA 1366 motherboards, such as you might find in a HP z800 or Dell Precision T7500.

It is in their interest for people to think this is a bad idea after all...
>>
This is the wrong way to go with this old xeons.
Drop server motherboards for some 775 ones , mod said mobo to support 771 xeons and overclock say a x5450/60/70 to 4ghz or a bit more.

Should be cheaper and performance will be better than two low clocked potatoes , also mobo will have somewhat better functionality than those server mobos.

Tldr;
Linus done the fuck up
>>
>>51854353
The reason they went server grade is because 775 doesn't have much if any dual socket motherboards to choose from.

That and they really wanted 8 cores.
>>
>>51854159

PROTIP: They get paid to sell new shit
>>
>>51854159
Who is Linux and who is Luke?
>>
>>51854776
GNU/Your Father
>>
>>51854159
Why are you surprised? LTT is a massive Intel+Nvidia shill who loved gargling on Huang's little Asian dick and Brian Krzanich's microscopic Jew dick.
>>
>>51854776
pretty sure the linus guy is the dude who invented linux and luke is his boyfriend
>>
File: sad-100582529-orig.jpg (41 KB, 620x465) Image search: [Google]
sad-100582529-orig.jpg
41 KB, 620x465
yo what was the name of that chinese website that had a bunch of random tech stuff for really cheap? It has a T in the name and had stuff like cheapo mp3 players for like 2 bucks and stuff
There was a thread yesterday with some links to it
>>
>>51854981
ali express?
deal extreme?
>>
>>51854752

That might be so but dogshit slow 8 cores is not going to do well in gaming vs ocd stuff.
>>
>>51854981
tmall, but aliexpress is better for shipping to wester countries
>>
>150 usd server
>using gtx 980
Is he completely retarded? Why the fuck someon with shitty xeons on budget would be 980, he should test with 960 or any cheap
>>
>>51855019
They're dogshit slow because he went with the absolute oldest generation that was still relevent, while being affordable. The ideas behind this build was too save all your little baby pennies.
>>
>>51854981
taobao
>>
>>51855019
I downloaded Tomb Raider tonight just to see how it would run on my PC.

2x x5650 + GTX 960 2gb

Game runs good. 48 fps with everything cranked up as high as it will go at 1920x1200. Afterburner shows no CPU cores at full utilization so I figure my GPU is the bottleneck keeping me from hitting 60 fps. If I drop one or two settings or go down to 1080p I'd get it easily.
>>
>>51855090
Yeah, that was pretty stupid. It's not a scenario anyone would run into. Radeon HD 7870 or other used Bitcoin miner would be the appropriate choice.
>>
>>51855090
I don't see how the choice in gpu matters.
>>
File: a1[1].jpg (432 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
a1[1].jpg
432 KB, 1600x1200
>>51855409
They went too far back. The sweet spot for this type of hardware is in the $300-500 range. When you build at that price point you can have a PC which excels in many usage scenarios.

I don't recommend buying the motherboards by themselves. Used workstations have nice cases, and they come with appropriate power supplies. You can always upgrade the CPU later.

Precisions look cheap, but that's metal, not plastic on the outside of the case.
>>
>>51856005
He used the powerful GPU to see how bottlenecked it would be by the old CPUs and motherboards.

Also so he could be a retard and saw part of it off so he could oh-so-wacky for youtube.

It was still a stupid choice. Most viewers would have rather seen something they might have an intention of buying.
>>
>>51854159
how is this negative? it's obviously a cheap ghetto build and they're warning about possible problems with that, while also showing that it does indeed perform ok.
>>
File: 60059858[1].jpg (92 KB, 944x708) Image search: [Google]
60059858[1].jpg
92 KB, 944x708
When you are thinking of running this sort of system you have to alter the traditional plan for building a PC. Building piece by piece isn't efficient with used enterprise hardware. You should buy a good base system with the aim of partially stripping it out and selling some components to make up part of the cost.

If you find a HP workstation with a Quadro 4000 in it and a blu-ray drive (a common set-up) that is about $180 of hardware you can turn around and resell on ebay to recoup your cost. Then you can buy a GPU for the system and stay under the $500 mark for a PC that can perform like a $1000 pre-built "gaming PC" you might buy from a vendor.
>>
>>51856024
Linus is fairer in his assessment. Luke comes across as very condescending.
>>
>>51854981
Fast tech?
>>
File: Capture.png (50 KB, 1309x843) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
50 KB, 1309x843
I actually went ahead and jumped the gun when Linus made his video. IMHO it is extremely worth it. Linus did a shit job of selecting the right parts though. I paid 165 for CPU/MOBO/RAM and got better performance than both setups in the second video. Plus I actually got a MOBO that fit in a full-tower case.

10/10 would do again.
>>
>>51855090
He's comparing CPU builds so that's the only way to do it.
If a dual C2Q setup can give frames in the ballpark of an i5 4670k for a lot of games when paired with a GTX 980, this will be even more true if both were specced with a 960.
>>
Well, you just have to realize that neither are what anyone in the tech industry seriously consider worthwhile advice for anyone with a brain. If you have a brain, it's better not to watch their shill ass show and read up on the processors yourself.

Intel and others only use them because LTT panders to the lowest common denominator, which is YouTube's general mass, which in turn gives Intel loe cost advertising for the price of a few chips here and there.
>>
>>51856084
Dang, that's good. Beats my $150 for X3450 + 16GB.
If you need a sound card, you can get an Audigy FX for $25. It uses a Realtek chip seen on high-end mobos so continued driver support should hopefully not be a problem, unlike some of Creative's older offerings.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.