[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In a parallel universe...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
>2000 The dot com bubble doesn't burst
>2001 Sun's contracts with dot com startups are honored, propelling it into unheard of profitability
>2002 The Sun Grid, one of the first cloud computing solutions, launches several years ahead of schedule
>2003 the first SPARC processor is released, introducing low-power multithreading and instruction level parallelization
>2004 Sun acquires a California based company, Google, in hopes to index and optimize data stored on Sun Grid
>2005 Sun purchases StorageTek and SeeBeyond, companies it believes are instrumental for its devices and services ambitions
>2006 Aggressive expansion produces Flare, a branch of Sun created to research portable devices
>2007 The first Flare Phone is launched and works seamlessly with Sun Ray workstations. Users are no longer tied to any single workstation
>2008 Sun's acquisition of StorageTek pays off as flash drives become commonplace in enterprise and consumer electonics
>2009 Corona, the first cloud music platform is brought to Flare phone and tablet devices, giving consumers unprecedented access to their music library
>2010 SeeBeyond produces Helio, the first consumer grade motion sensing device that allows control through natural gestures
>2011 Sun loses in a patent related lawsuit against Apple Computers. Flare devices are no longer permitted to be sold in Germany
>2012 Sun sells Core, a division responsible for researching 3D printing technologies on Sun devices
>2013 Photosphere, a home automation framework is put into practice through the release of WiFi controlled light bulbs, security cameras, thermostats, and electrical outlets
>2014 Sun drops support for its defunct Java language
>2015 Sun announces it's entry into VR, using natural motion sensing technology developed by SeeBeyond, with most processing offloaded to Grid
>2016
>>
>>51853622
I like this universe.
>>
>>51853622
Sun needed to die. They were straight along the same lines of the IBM way of doing everything because they are large and can't possibly fail. If they still existed in the form you are talking about tech would be 2 years back from what it is now
>>
File: NokiaN9apps-359x6402.png (149 KB, 359x640) Image search: [Google]
NokiaN9apps-359x6402.png
149 KB, 359x640
In a parallel universe Stephen Elop would've never jeopardized the Nokia N9 and Meego project and Google would've become bankrupt after Lagdroid never reached over 10% market share because the world would be using a superior device
>>
File: 1450025184968.jpg (118 KB, 595x842) Image search: [Google]
1450025184968.jpg
118 KB, 595x842
>>51853622
The premise isn't very solid, maybe step back a bit and see how you could avoid that catastrophe from occurring. But the rest of it is pretty good, 7/10. I would totally play a shitty cyberpunk-themed AAA game set in this universe.

>tfw no Flare Phone
>>
>>51853622
fuck sun bunch of keks if you ask me
>>
>>51853766
Thanks. I'm not very familiar with the cause of the dot com bubble so I decided to not elaborate on it. For the rest I tried mixing a little truth in with my fiction.
>>
>>51853696
>I like this universe.
So you like fantasies?
How about the one where a young Bill Gates doesn't swindle his partner Paul Allen out of his founders shares in Micro-Soft and Allen continues as the mover and shaker, selling their new OS to a small New Mexico company.
IBM finally settles on C/PM.
>>
>>51853622
Sun was way ahead of its time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qQZRC1-w-A
>>
>>51853860
OP here, I think that sounds like a cool universe, let your imagination run with it, I'd like to see some different tech timelines even if they are fictional.
>>
>>51853801
I'm not too familiar with it either, but from my understanding it was just people speculating and wildly overestimating the potential of the internet, building unsustainable e-businesses for customer bases that never existed, and taking gullible investors down with them.

There's some maybe interesting movies and documentaries on it, Startup.com was one that I watched a long time ago.

>>51853860
I'd rather see one where Boca Raton actually got the hardware they wanted, so I can go and participate in the Motorola vs. AMD shitposting wars on their /g/.
>>
>>51853760
Fuck, the N9 was the best phone ever.
>>
>>51853918
>my understanding it was just people speculating and wildly overestimating the potential of the internet, building unsustainable e-businesses for customer bases that never existed, and taking gullible investors down with them.

Sounds like today.
>>
>>51853883
>tfw I want to pick some of those up to pair with my Slowlaris servers because they're cheap as fuck
>>
File: corsairandcolumbia.jpg (33 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
corsairandcolumbia.jpg
33 KB, 640x480
>>
Sun was shit.
Sparc was shit
SunOS was shit
Solaris was shit
Java was shit

It's all shit.
>>
>>51854067
Tech is shit in general, it's just the way it is.

After a while you learn to stop being bitter about it and go along for the ride, you'll feel better.
>>
>>51854096
Yeah but sun's tech was really shit. I don't know why people are lining up to suck sun's dick. Commodity x86 and Linux is miles better than sun's crap, and it's still not even that good.
>>
>>51853622

>being a sun hipster
>not worshiping DEC Alpha and tru64

fucking educate yourself
>>
>>51854106
>I don't know why people are lining up to suck sun's dick
People think they are special for preferring obscure/dead technology. The only good thing about sun is the logo.
>>
>>51854106
I rather enjoy my old Sun hardware desu, it has its annoying quirks but that's why I like it, it gives me a real feeling of accomplishment bending Slowlaris to my will.

Also, it just looks cool, and Sun was a big backer of open source software.

>>51854110
I fucking wish, have you looked for Alpha shit on Ebay lately? They still want $1,000+ for a low-end DS10.
>>
>>51854193
>Sun was a big backer of open source software.

No they weren't. They specifically created the CDDL to be GPL incompatible so that their "open source" software wouldn't work with the linux kernel.

Also JAva was not licensed freely until a lot of ocmplaints were made: https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/java-trap.en.html
>>
>>51854246
I'm probably wrong on that I guess, I never really cared about that aspect of it myself, I was just throwing it in there as a possible reason as to why /g/ sucks their dick so hard. It seems a lot of their bigger projects like Solaris or StarOffice ended up with open source spinoffs like OpenIndiana and LibreOffice.
>>
>>51854067
>sunOS was shit
No it was the thin client and the idea that many cleints can boot from one server it failed hard

but on its own it was better than linux and windows it always booted faster than both and it was user friendly abeit a bit ugly GUI

Java isn't shit though

Okay i agree with the rest tho
>>
>Intel never larrabee
>That one game gets released
>>
>>51854327
Sun in general can be pretty pants on head retarded sometimes, I had to write a fucking script on my Solaris server that swaps out JDK packages between 1.8 and 1.5 because some of their installers literally hard code specific versions in, so I have to swap out my Java installation every time I want to install something like Sun Studio.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.