[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need your help with /g/it. Just hit this problem for the 5th
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: git.png (6 KB, 910x380) Image search: [Google]
git.png
6 KB, 910x380
I need your help with /g/it. Just hit this problem for the 5th time and I need to figure out what's causing it.

>working on repro with partner whose skills are mostly html and is a macfag
>him: creates a branch, makes commits, pushes to main repo
>me: check out branch, make commits, push
>him: commit w/o pulling my changes, push
>my changes are no longer in the main repo

the commits are still there if i search by the actual commit hash, but when viewing the branch they do not show up. his commit right after mine has the same parent as mine.

what kind of fucking force push is he doing? there must be some sort of errors displayed right? or is there some insane default on mac that makes this happen?
>>
Sounds like he is doing a force push.

Tell him to start fucking using merge and rebase, etc.

Fucking savage, use gitflow.
>>
>>51850583
Or he isn't taking the changes yolo fuck you mode.
>>
>>51850583
is there a flag somewhere that would make his 'git push' do that without any additional shit tacked on? he claims that's the only thing he's doing.
>>
>>51850619

'man git-config' will list all the available options; there's a ton so there's probably one that would do that in there.

'git config -l' will list all the options that the user has set
>>
>>51850619
Is he using git from shell or IDE? If so what one?
>>
SourceTree is a good client to keep idiots using git from shooting themselves in the foot.
>>
Tell us more about this reprository.
>>
>>51850725
>SourceTree
that's a good idea, i will suggest that.

>>51850699
i think console

>>51850674
thanks, i'll get him to run that
>>
>>51850725
Seconded, keeps the noobs from fucking everyone's shit up.
>>
>>51850778
i've experienced this with him in 2 separate repos.

first: pretty large, tons of feature branches (that should be cleaned up sure), i always use git pull, git push, sorry too lazy to rebase. "main" repo on bitbucket

second: much smaller, has a single feature branch (created by him, where this occurred), main repo on gitlab.
>>
git reflog
git cherry-pick
git gud
>>
>>51850699
ok he apparently does his commits from within Aptana but does push/pull from the console. weird workflow...

none of his git config looks suspicious, here's the branch specific config
    branch.master.remote=origin
branch.master.merge=refs/heads/master
branch.user_auth.remote=origin
branch.user_auth.merge=refs/heads/user_auth
>>
>>51850426
I second what >>51850583 said. If he's force pushing, he's completely missing the point of git. Tell him to straighten up.
>>
The reflog is interesting, I think it shows he didn't do a force?

him:
a300d4b HEAD@{9}: merge user_auth: Fast-forward
778c3df HEAD@{10}: checkout: moving from user_auth to master
a300d4b HEAD@{11}: commit: [HIS NEXT COMMIT]
e543483 HEAD@{12}: commit: [PARENT of my missing commit]

me:
d4c1a9d HEAD@{0}: pull gitlab master: Merge made by the 'recursive' strategy.
1dffdb5 HEAD@{1}: pull gitlab master: Merge made by the 'recursive' strategy.
b68df23 HEAD@{2}: merge user_auth: Fast-forward
112ae11 HEAD@{3}: checkout: moving from user_auth to master
b68df23 HEAD@{4}: commit: [MY MISSING COMMIT]
e543483 HEAD@{5}: merge gitlab/user_auth: Fast-forward
112ae11 HEAD@{6}: checkout: moving from master to user_auth
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.