[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can i get some honest opinions about windows 10 vs Linux(any
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: wvl.jpg (14 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
wvl.jpg
14 KB, 450x300
Can i get some honest opinions about windows 10 vs Linux(any distro) from people who have actual used both.
Should i duel boot and buy windows 10?
>>
Different tools for different tasks.

If all you do is office work, browse internet. WinDOS10 is fine.

Linux is built for people who actually want to learn how your computer works, and why it works that way. If all you care about is *doing things on your computer*, then just stick with windows.
>>
Depends what you want to do. If you are already comfy in Linux and don't know why you would need Windows then you probably don't need Windows.

Also this,
>>51840484
>>
>>51840484
im using linux and last windows i used was 7. is there anything window does better.
the design of 10 looks better to me desu.
>>
>>51840439
If you use it for vidya gaymen then dual boot. Sometimes like me you need some software for work like Autocad, Adobe or some other application. But use Linux for everything else, because the main thing about Linux is fun, enjoyment, learning about the computer and eventually how much easier it is to do stuff in it when you have knowledge. Also more and more games are coming on Linux btw. Linux is way more enjoyable and have much better ability to customise it and make the computer your own. No forced updates like on Windows 10, the OS won't delete your apps if they are not "approved by Microsoft" and so on. With Linux it is YOUR computer
>>
>>51840532
Windows10 is basically government spyware if you live in North America/EU. You can't fully disable auditting reports, crash reports, user activity unless you manually configure your routers firewall (windows won't let you disable this).

Oh it also boots faster. Their is that DX12 stuff if you are a gaymer
>>
Duel boot them. Your GNU/Linux will probably boot faster and win.
>>
>>51840439
Windows 10 has forced updates and spyware. Use 7 or 8.
>>
>>51840783
And Microsoft has pushed those same spyware updates to 7 and 8.
> Time to switch to Linux
>>
>>51840850
7 and 8 let you choose which updates to install. It's really not an issue.

But obviously if you don't need Windows software you should use Linux.
>>
>>51840484
>If all you do is office work, browse internet. WinDOS10 is fine.
Yes but Linux is fine too, plus the added monus of it being free and more transparent, why would anyone not use it?
>>
>>51840892
Because games, Adobe software and some other shit

Dual booting on my system would be pretty effective because it takes no time to boot each system, but if I have to switch to Windows every time I need to do some work it's going to get kind of annoying. Unless I used some virtualization software, but I don't have two GPUs.
>>
>>51840990
I also dual boot and for myself I schedule booting into Windows just to keep up with updates. So then when I actually do want to use it I won't have to worry about dealing with updates then.
>>
I'm going to be unbiased as possible on this. At work, I need windows, because my employer uses it, and some CAD softwares run on it.

Because my time is valuable, me and my family use xubuntu because, once installed, it keeps working, no need for licensing cost, and safe.

So for time and money concideration, linux at home for Desktops.

Home server, same story, if it's not broken, don't fix it.

I run a linux server with my own mail system (imap, works on EVRYTHING, free and free). Streaming media, plex.
network shares.
Cloud and calendar trough own cloud,

Again, linux and not windows because its lean, free and uses standards that don't force me to upgrade all my chit because their protocols upgraded without backward compatibility.

So at home linux.

At work windows ( windows keeps the economy running because it NEEDS to be maintained, upgraded tec etc....)

At home linux because cheap, fast, good, reliable, versatile, sturdy & timeless, ....
>>
>>51841090
Oh yeah, transmission daemon on the server is for me, a killer app because all devices at home can add torrents, tnat a few minutes later, automatically are streamed trough plex
>>
>>51841118
have you looked at using a usenet setup?
>>
>>51841133
naaah, kat & tpb host most magnets I need, I like the point, click and watch setup (I need more pushes on my remote, if I want to watch it via my settop box from my isp)
>>
>>51840439
Is there proprietary software that you can't find a viable alternative for (after the learning curve) which you absolutely need to survive? Dual boot

Else just Linux.
>>
>>51840439
Dual booting Win10 and Ubuntu 14.04 on acer laptop with uefi and nvidia optimus here. People exeggerate a lot here. Overall use ubuntu is a lot smoother and looks better imo with numix theme. Only downside is games, especially multiplayer. If you limit yourself to games that run on wine and natively on linux you will not need windows at all. I use solidworks on uni desktops when I have to. They are much better suited for that anyway. Also if your gpu is not a gtx, dont bother having a gpu at all on laptop. Intel integrated stuff will be just as good.
>>
>>51840439
desu, i exclusively write text documents for school , browse the web, and skype/teamspeak with friends. i theoretically don't need windows, but i keep it around on my harddisk anywayw, just to be sure that if i ever need it, i have it.

and also this >>51840583
>>
There is really no reason to use Linux unless you really can't afford to buy a Windows license, or your hardware is older and doesn't have the spec to run modern Windows.

I use Linux on two laptops, an ancient Dell and Transformer Book T100, other than that it's Win10 on my desktop and my actual laptop that I use most for work.

Linux has come a long way, but it still isn't a serious contender to Windows. Hobby OS.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.