[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any actual reason to use Linux over windows, is there
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1407059959336.jpg (20 KB, 343x284) Image search: [Google]
1407059959336.jpg
20 KB, 343x284
Is there any actual reason to use Linux over windows, is there anything that it can do that windows can't?
>>
freedom ?
>>
>>51839441
If you have to ask. Then no. Not for you.
>>
>>51839486
/thread
>>
>>51839441
Try Linux out, it can do some things better and a lot of things much easier. One of the things Linux can do that Windows can't is to fully make the computer YOURS (which is the freedom people talk about) . You can make it look and behave EXACTLY like you want. Take full control of your own property, no forced updates like in Windows and Mac, no spyware and botnet you have not consciously put there yourself and so on. And it is easier to use Linux when you get some knowledge. Just start the terminal and write one line and you can do stuff that would have taken hours on Windows or at least where you would need special software. Like renaming and organising all your mp3s after your own system. Hours, maybe days on Windows, but only some seconds on Linux. Even beginners can Google and find stuff to copy paste to do what they want. It is fun
>>
Linux is for enthusiasts. It can (and does) serve as a perfectly usable day-to-day computer but by virtue of what it *is*, it'll always trend towards fragmentation - the whole point is that you can take full control and make it _yours_, which is what you can't really do with Windows.
>>
In the real world, Linux is used for;
>programming (Google)
>stable systems (the vast majority of servers, ISS, rendering in Hollywood including LOTR)
>robotics (latest DARPA challenge winner)
>other embedded systems (probably in your own home)

As a desktop, Linux has several advantages;
>package managers, the only sane way to install and uninstall software
>a ready-to-go C and bash environment (because ultimately computers are for automation)
>a sane filesystem
>the ability to carry your actual system on a USB wherever you go and use it
>a light, fast system
>protection from most viruses
>ability to customize every aspect of your desktop
>>
>>51839486
Seriously let's just /thread and be done with it.

If you can't do the basic research to understand the differences between Linux and Windows, then weigh up whether that makes it a worthwhile switch, then it's not worth it. It seriously is as simple as that. Either you care enough about your operating system to do research and find one that fits your needs, or you don't.
>>
>>51839441
For me it is at least the feeling of control. I install a very basic version of what is needed to make a computer work and then I pick and choose exactly what goes on top of that and I even get to choose where it comes from. I prefer this feeling of control, which seems to leading me to want to know exactly how programs work. My level of trust about computers is in the decline. I have "nothing to hide," just like everyone knows people use the bathroom but no one needs to know exactly how I wipe my ass.
>>
>>51839441
If you have to ask, then no, linux is not for you.

Now go back to your friends at /v/
>>
I want to run linux but my DAW (Ableton Live) is Windows + Mac only.

Is there any way i can run it anyway without a bunch of issues?
>>
>>51840431
>DAW
so u make like dubstep or some phat beats, mane?
>>
>>51840431
From my quick google search, no.
Are there alternatives? Of course. Why not use a virtual machine, boot linux and try one of the linux DAWs?
>>
>>51840431

The only DAW on Linux worth using is Renoise, which has various tools to make it behave more like an Ableton session.

That said, you can make it work a whole bunch of different ways... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnJY5u6cC7A
>>
>>51839486
>>51840287

If you are too lazy to answer simple questions, what the fuck are you doing on 4chan? :DD
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.