[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why does windows still use ntfs? can't they use a better
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: ntfs.jpg (33 KB, 570x375) Image search: [Google]
ntfs.jpg
33 KB, 570x375
why does windows still use ntfs? can't they use a better file system?
>>
No, they don't know how. Pointing that out is bigotry
>>
>>51831420
why does applel still use hfs+? can't they use a better file system?
>>
Linux fags are still happy with ext.
>>
>>51831420
>>51831445
proprietary fags can't into filesystems
btrfs or gtfo
>>
>>51831479
>what is XFS
>what is btrfs
>what is ReiserFS
>>
because ntfs works just fine, why bother changing?
>>
>>51831479
Do you know how many magnitudes better btfs is over NTFS
>>
>>51831420

Define "better" objectively.
>>
>>51831420
>better file system

What is "good" to you, may be bad for others. So shut your fucking mouth unless you have some arguments you pig disgusting fedora animal.
>>
>>51831531
>>51831789
>microshit shills in full-on defense mode
>>
>>51832004
>ad-hominem
>>
>>51832194
I am just pointing out the truth
>>
>>51831420
I know you are 12 and your only real insight to the tech world is from /g/ but come with me for a moment. There's over 1.25 BILLION Windows installs in the world. My estimate is that over 60% are inside of businesses. Even if there was something better then NTFS that worked great with Active Directory and played on the playground nice with the other services and whatnot think about the manpower it would take to move all those users to a new file system when NTFS works right this very second and most people don't even know what the fuck a file system is.
>>
>>51832538
what a stupid post.
if most people don't know what it is, they won't care if it changes.
>>
Don't they have a new file system in development still?
All these years
>>
>>51831420
Because it would not being them a competitive advantage. Nobody is saying, "gee Windows looks great but if only it had a more advanced filesystem! Ah well I'll go with Gentoo"

It just doesn't happen. Either they use Windows based tech stacks or they don't. They won't win over new customers by adding btrfs so why bother?
>>
>>51831505
>can't be shrunk
>corrupts your files
>murders your wife
>>
>>51831531
Supports : (colon) * (asterisk) ? (Question mark) " (quote) < (less than) > (greater than) and | in file names.
>>
>>51831420
MS likes compatibility, and there hasn't been a major reason for them to switch. NTFS has issues out the ass, but at least it isn't HFS+.

adding a new file system will just get a bunch of people asking "oh jeez, why can't I use this disk on this machine, all my files are there"
distinctly remember that happening with people trying to open NTFS drives under Windows 9x
>>
Well, I do know the server side has a test feature like we had on android kitkat "art". Forgot what the file system was called, but it's there to future proof the server or something.

You could actually format new drives to that format in windows server 2012. They never implemented in win 8, 8.1, 10 tho.

Can't speak for the server 2016 beta side, never got around that playing ground.
>>
It's solid, not complicated, tried and true. Cross compatible with just about anything too. Works fine for what it is.

That said I'd love ext support on windows a n y time soon
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.