[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /g/ dislike Linux Mint? It seems to add in useful stuff
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 9
File: Linux-Mint-Cinnamon-Start-Menu.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Linux-Mint-Cinnamon-Start-Menu.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Why does /g/ dislike Linux Mint? It seems to add in useful stuff that other distros don't really bother to.
>>
Linux MInt is better for beginners, im using it right now. What are the best DE and WM for Mint?
>>
>>51822030
because they don't get to feel superior when they don't have to install it without a gui and shit doesn't break so they don't have to use the terminal
>>
It does nothing better than Ubuntu.
>>
>>51822080
Cinnamon > Unitt
>>
>>51822095
Tell me why cinnamon is better than Unity?
>>
>>51822114
Because the whole unity interface is retarded. Vertical taskbar is retarded. Shit overlay over entire screen when bringing up applications.
>>
>>51822030
If I recall correctly, when it started it was basically just Ubuntu + proprietary shit preinstalled.
>>
>>51822114
Amazon botnet
>>
Kubuntu > Mint
>>
>>51822138
>vertical taskbar
>retarded
Are you still rocking that 4:3 monitor?
>>
>>51822175
fixubuntu.com
>>
>>51822191
I think he means you can't move it
https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/668415
>>
>>51822030
It never works for me. Every other distro I tried works flawlessly on my machine, but mint always crashes on me.
>>
>>51822057
Cinnamon or xfce+compton
>>
>>51822030
Linux Mint is fine for everyday use.

What bothers me is that it is even more outdated than debian.
I am currently doing a project at university where our team needs cmake 3.3 and a gcc 4.9.1.
although the software is stable there is no way of getting it on linux mint.
>>
>>51822339
You can't compile it yourself?
>>
>>51822339
That's probably because debian jessy was just released this year?
>>
>>51822030
I use Mint. One of the few distros that are actually suitable for a desktop.
>>
>>51822030
It's not bad for beginners but
>It seems to add in useful stuff
basically means it's bloated. With a distro like Arch you have to install useful stuff manually but that's not hard at all. What's important is that it also means that you can install everything you need without unnecessary applications you don't want.
That's not even the only reason though.
>>
>>51822663
Why should I care if there are only a few of unnecessary applications in my machines? I never use things like Thunderbird and LibreOffice in Ubuntu but don't bother to uninstall them.
>>
don't need a distro to add stuff.

i can manage it myself
>>
It's great though.
>>
>>51822784
Because with all these applications the system takes up more space and is slower. A lightweight system would be faster and gives you more free space to use. It might not be a huge difference if you have a powerful PC but then again, why would I install a bloated distro when I can install a faster lightweight one?
>>
i hate green color
>>
>>51822862
How come my machine is slower if I have LibreOffice but don't open it? Disk space is cheap these days that I can waste some GBs without feeling guilty.

> why would I install a bloated distro when I can install a faster lightweight one?

Why have to install from scratch everything when I can just install Ubuntu?
>>
>>51822938
Your machine isn't slower because you have LibreOffice installed, it's slower because you have a lot of unnecessary applications installed. I'm not saying you should install Arch or Gentoo but there are alternatives that are more lightweight but not as hard to install (maybe not as easy as Ubuntu, but you just have to install it once anyway).
>>
>>51822993
Ubuntu is really not that slow if you're on modern hardware. If this was 2005 or something I might have agreed with you as ram was a precious commodity back then.
>>
>>51822030
Mostly because its popular, easy to use for the majority of people and hardware.

I know a number of people that use Mint : i use Xubuntu LTS for a desktop OS. There is nothing inherently wrong with the easy to use beginner distros. You just don't get that false sense of meaningful accomplishment.
>>
File: linusmintisrael.jpg (144 KB, 957x421) Image search: [Google]
linusmintisrael.jpg
144 KB, 957x421
Linux Mint? More like Lincux Mint.
>>
>>51823054

No, because its literally just Ubuntu with some programs preinstalled. Why make a new distro in the first place? Why not just have a script like Fedy for Fedora where you can add the shit that you want on top of Ubuntu?
>>
>>51823038
As I said, it might not be a big deal for you if you have a powerful PC but you can definetely feel how much faster a lightweight system is, regardless of how good your hardware is.
>>
>>51822063
This, there is no real effort. A granny can successfully install and use Linux mint without a problem. Drivers are often installed automatically, it's not a real opportunity to learn. It's like deadlifting 10 lbs in the gym
>>
>>51823080
Ubuntu is literally just Debian with some programs preinstalled
>Why make a new distro in the first place?
why do anything
it seems to be popular and just working
>>
>>51823087
I agree, but like I said, the difference is not monumental compared to 10 years ago. It's minimal as best. Yes, I compared. I ran ubuntu (vivid) on my potato laptop then a minimal arch install.
>>
>>51823162
Uh no, not trying to defend ubuntu as I don't use it. It's going on the direction of mir + unity. That definitely is not debian with some shit preinstalled.
>>
>>51823162
that was what I was about to post as a retort.
If you make it user friendly enough, not scary, bundle it with commonly used or useful extras, Why not brand it something else and roll with it?

It "just werks" out the box for mostly everyone. It makes people feel good to get a free, usable system. It's so easy my grandmother can use it and feel at home and Ii don't have to worry about fixing it constantly.
Mint is the most popular distro for a reason, not because its best for every task, but because its simple and has a lot of focus on "first impressions and comfort"
>>
>>51823171
The difference is big enough for me but if you're okay with it then that's fine I guess. Just remove the Amazon shit.
>>
>>51822030
>Why does /g/ dislike Linux Mint? It seems to add in useful stuff that other distros don't really bother to.
It's like a stripped down Ubuntu.

>>51822095
Gnome > Cinnamon

>>51822138
>>51822175
You are not forced to use Unity, just install another DE ffs....

Also, Linux Mint is anti-semitic
>>
>>51823273
>Linux Mint is anti-semitic
No, it's not.
>>
>>51823273
>Gnome > Cinnamon
More like anything > GNOME
>>
>>51823235
I agreee with you on that amazon shit anon or any privacy matter. I understand canonical needs to generate money but that compromise is not cool
>>
>>51823311
Use Xfce, LXDE, KDE, any of the wms... There's even MATE for Ubuntu now.

>>51823301
It is. The whole Linux Mint project is like, 12 contributors? Clemens and two of the top dogs are Algerian french and hate Israel and jews (and the west in general).
>>
>>51823350
They are not the OS. Plus, disagreeing with the "it's Israel so they can do no wrong," argument doesn't make them anti-semantic.
>>
>>51823301
>compuLab? congrats on having mint installed as default OS! you and your team are building a wonderful thing. i would love to buy a minto computer. However i REFUSE to have that purchase benefit israel, compuLab is an israeli company. israel, home of the largest open-air prison in the world – GAZA. what israel continues to do in the West Bank, israel’s continued construction of settlements while the Palestinians strive for negotiation. israel = H U G E american military base.. please reconsider associating linuxmint with israel..
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1974

>Clement Lefebvre wrote on the Linux Mint blog on May 3, 2009, “I don’t want any money or help coming from Israel or people who support the action of their current government.” He prefaced that comment with, “If you do not agree I kindly ask you not to use Linux Mint and not to donate money to it.”
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-12_03-37-52.png (585 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-12_03-37-52.png
585 KB, 1366x768
>>51822030
Xubuntu
>>
>>51822207
shouldn't even have to do this
>>
>>51823350
>and the west in general
>>
>>51823391
See: >>51823379
>>
>>51823379
>They are not the OS. Plus, disagreeing with the "it's Israel so they can do no wrong," argument doesn't make them anti-semantic.
The point is that a fucking distro isn't a platform to spread anti-western propaganda. By using Linux Mint you condone this practice, when you should be condemning it by refusing to use a Linux distro that is pushed for political reasons.

Politics and Linux don't match. You might as well be using Apartheid Linux (yes it's a real distro).
>>
>>51822030
I hate it bc of browser hijack.
>>
>>51823412
See >>51823423

Fuck of kebab, Linux is for white people and not brown people like you.
>>
>>51822207
so it's like win 10

>>51822114
cinnamon it is
>>
>>51823423
GNU exists because of politics/philosophy in the first place.
>>
>>51823392
This. I don't think it's the best distro there is but it's very good for beginners and XFCE is very fast and easy to use.
>>
Should I go with Xubuntu or mint xfce? Like whats the difference?
>>
>>51823462
>GNU exists because of politics/philosophy in the first place.
Regarding to fucking open source software, not fucking "ALLUHA ACKBAR KILL THE JEWS!!!"

Grasping for straws, are we?
>>
I have Mint right now. What's my next step? Arch? Debian?
>>
>caring about the political views of the developers which have no bearing on the OS itself

I would use an OS developed by Hitler if it was a good distro and he didn't put in some Gestapo spyware or blocked websites on it.
>>
>>51823487
>step
Linux distros aren't "steps". You pick one and use it if you're happy with it, or use another if you're not happy with it.
>>
>>51823487
Debian.

Arch is a hobby Linux distro for advanced users.
>>
>>51823479
One is Ubuntu, the other is Linux Mint.

>>51823495
>>caring about the political views of the developers which have no bearing on the OS itself
You are retarded, of course it has bearing on the OS --- it highly affects the community, who want's to contribute to the project, etc.

I want a distro that's actually being maintained, not some weird obscurity that is being alienated and pushed out because of the extreme political views of the project leader(s).
>>
>>51823528
>Arch is a hobby Linux distro for advanced users.
Mostly for NEET or students that have too much free time and nothing to do.
>>
>>51822030
GNOME > Cinnamon
That's why.
>>
kek

Mintfags BTFO
>>
>>51823482
I disagree with what Israel is doing != "KILL THE JEWS!!!"

You seem to be the one grasping here.

>>51823487
Mint 17.3

The only other Linux worth using is Fedora, and that is only if you will be working on Linux boxes at a corporation.

>>51823551
>Mostly for NEET or students that have too much free time and nothing to do.
This. Arch is a toy.
>>
>>51823507
I suppose I'm not well-versed in Linux semantics. Nonetheless, I get what you're saying.

>>51823528
Good to know. Debian it is. Thanks.
>>
>>51823540
>not some weird obscurity that is being alienated and pushed out because of the extreme political views of the project leader(s)

being a vocal critic of israel's apartheid state is not an "extreme political" view, this is the line of thinking that leads to CoCs, you are a cancer.
>>
>>51822080

Besides a tremendously easier to use, and much more intuitive interface?
>>
>>51823540
>I want a distro that's actually being maintained, not some weird obscurity that is being alienated and pushed out because of the extreme political views of the project leader(s).

Well, he's had these views for years before Linux Mint even became popular, so I think it's not a problem. And his views are not that extreme. He just doesn't want Israelis contributing to his project.
>>
>>51823273
>Linux Mint is anti-semitic
One more reason to use it.
>>
>>51823597
>He just doesn't want Israelis contributing to his project.

which isn't even true

http://abriefhistory.org/?p=776
>>
>>51823392
+1
X/Kubuntu are the best pick of thoose distros
>>
File: mfw.png (101 KB, 1585x1527) Image search: [Google]
mfw.png
101 KB, 1585x1527
>>51823588
>being a vocal critic of israel's apartheid state is not an "extreme political" view,
Get a look at this goy

>his is the line of thinking that leads to CoCs, you are a cancer.
What? CoCs are literally the product of SJWs and femnazis, both typically left-wing extremist who defend Palestinian right to use violence against Israel

>>51823583
>I disagree with what Israel is doing != "KILL THE JEWS!!!"
Publicly supporting Hamas (yes Clemen is a supported of Hamas) = defending a group that has an outspoken goal of wiping Israel of the map = KILL THE JEWS

I can't believe how naive you arab apologetics are.
>>
>>51823618
>One more reason to use it.
It's anti-semitic for the wrong reasons though. You wanna remove kebab, not install it
>>
I feel like someone is doing some false flagging here but I'm not 100%....
>>
>>51823629
>"semi-sort of contraction" = he didn't say that at all
History revisionists, pls
>>
>>51823634
So which is it? Goy or arab apologetics? You can't even keep your memes straight. Grow up.
>>
>>51823653
EuroMasterRace>>>>>>>>>>>Kebab>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Americunts
>>
>>51823657
Welcome to 4chan brother
>>
File: 1448739463672.jpg (113 KB, 612x587) Image search: [Google]
1448739463672.jpg
113 KB, 612x587
>>51823634
Oy vey, it's anudda shoah!
>>
>>51823597
>And his views are not that extreme. He just doesn't want Israelis contributing to his project.
He also said he supported Hamas...

http://abriefhistory.org/?p=774
>>
File: get-a-load-of.jpg (33 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
get-a-load-of.jpg
33 KB, 500x500
>>51823673
>being this autistic
Goy simply means non-jew, anon.
>>
>>51823080
ubuntu is just like debian with some programs i mean some botnet preinstalled. Why make a new distro in the first place? Why not just have a script that installs windows 10 for you with the unity desktop?
>>
Wait, I thought new-/pol/'s (aka /g/) sole reason for shilling for Mint was because of Clemen. Are there people ITT who is actually sincerely saying that they use this downstream Ubuntu shit for reasons other than pissing jews off?
>>
>>51823757
I think I already replied this before. Ubuntu is no longer debian w/ some programs thrown in with mir + unity. You're memeing wring anon
>>
>>51823724

>>>/pol/

Take your shit back to your containment board Ahbad.
>>
>>51823773
Go back to your arch containment thread.
>>
File: Up_dog.jpg (12 KB, 380x405) Image search: [Google]
Up_dog.jpg
12 KB, 380x405
>>51822030
Not 1337 enough
>>
>>51823693
Where? Because there's only condemnation of Israel there, unless you're implying that alone implicitly suggests supporting Hamas, which is some bullshit.
>>
>>51823693
Have you actually read that page? It is practically oozing with bias. He didn't say that. The moron writing that page is accusing him of it.
>>
>>51823794
>pointing out the meaning of the word goy
>hurr durr go back to yer /pell/
lolwat?

Butthurt much?
>>
>>51822030
The Windows 7 of Linux. It just works. /g/ like to have shit that breaks on every occasion.
>>
>>51823808
>>51823816
Being this butthurt

Look, the guy is an Algerian-French. These guys are angry and hate jews and the west and have since long before the Algerian-French war. Why is it so difficult for you to accept that there this kebab, just like fucking 90% of the rest of Algerie and muslims in general, fucking hate jews?
>>
>>51823885
>ad hominem and other assorted fallacies

So you have no real arguments, huh?
>>
>>51823912
>ad hominem
Calling you butthurt? lol, GTFO you sensitive baby
>>
>>51823944
>when the shitposter is backed into an embarrassing corner and all they can do is namecall
>>
>>51823970
>not knowing what an ad hominem is

This is an ad hominem:
>you're wrong because you're stupid

This is not an ad hominem
>you're wrong and you're stupid because of <facts>

Get your shit together.

>inb4 hurr durr what facts
Just look at the citations posted in this thread. Clements is anti-Israel, he even says so publicly. It's not a big deal, I hate jews too. But I don't make it an integral part of my software project and chose my co-workers based on it. I keep it to myself, because politics and Linux don't mix and match (unlike the jewish race mixing agenda).
>>
/g/ - Technology
>>
I've tried Elementary it was good and ran decent enough.
Mint looked good, but performed bad. Well not bad, but kinda slow.
Lubuntu was good as well, I liked it.
Slitaz, but it was too barebones.
I'm about to try Debian. Is it any good?
I need something easy to use, and easy on the system because I run Linux distros on an old satellite laptop, I would never put Linux on my gaming rig.
>>
>>51822030
i'm usuing mint cinnamon now. pretty much a liinux noob. messed around with it years ago then forgot about it until recently. love how easy it is to install and use. simple and intuitive layout. anyone can figure out how to use it. i went on steam website and was trying to figure out where the linux download button was. clicking around for 5 minutes for a linux download. clicked the download button that i thought was for pc, and it began to download the correct linux version. wow thats cool. downloaded and installed halflife 1 (my laptop is old and source is pushing its limits) played no problem. b b b but... linux cant play gayms?!?!?!
>>
>>51824274
Linux sucks for games. Most games on steam won't run on Linux natively.
>>
>>51822030
Wait wait wait. You are telling me you don't understand why someone else, different from you, might want to choose something different than you would?
>>
Mint is actually solid OP, one of the most stable distros out there.
>>
>>51822030
I tried Linux Mint, but what really annoys me is that it's hard to get all their search engine advertising stuff out of Firefox and that it mounts TrueCrypt volumes as root so that the files become +x (Debian and Ubuntu don't do so, how can this be fixed?).
>>
File: B0Mw_iiIYAE-SFO.png (667 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
B0Mw_iiIYAE-SFO.png
667 KB, 600x600
>>51823350
Its not you dumb fuck, Arabs is Semitic too btw.

>Israel and jews (and the west in general).
>and jews (and the west in general).
>and the west in general).
ladies and gents, this is a live example of kike-jidf and how they manipulate the facts, I'm white and I hate Israel , but not the Jews.
and Arabs never hated the Jews as they always lived together (read the history), but they hate Israel for a good reasons as everyone does.

ISrael == ISIS , both commits political crimes in the name of religion.

>>51823423
The only reason why I would use mint is because it is anti-israel

>>51823634
>Hamas
Found the JIDF.
>Israel of the map = KILL THE JEWS
Nope, even "hamas" didn't say that, but till you stop killing and nuking their children, they'll fight back.
>>
>>51822030
It's not Stallman approved
>>
>>51826203
Not especially fond of the Jews, but I hope you'll get blown up to pieces by one of your belowed Arab scum, you fucking kek.
>>
They're are several reasons to dislike it OP, however Mint Mate is my daily driver.
>>
>>51822170
It has less proprietary shit pre-installed than Ubuntu, nowadays.
>>
They're are basically three things you can do to make Mint a bretty gud platform.
>a) uninstall Yahoo search and Banshee
for which the Mint team receives funding from you're use. use the FF search settings for the former, the software manager for the latter.
>b) uninstall Mint search enhancer
you must use the software manager to do this. disabling the addon in FF won't work. that will remove any Google funding for the Mint team from you're use.
>c) uninstall Flash. again from the software manager. this should be obvious why you'd want to do this.

After these steps, it's a pretty solid, trustworthy OS I find quite usable.
>>
>>51822114

Have you ever used Unity? Also it's fuck ugly
>>
File: baw.jpg (25 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
baw.jpg
25 KB, 600x450
>>51826203
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.