[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do I need to upgrade?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: images.jpg (11 KB, 276x183) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
11 KB, 276x183
I'm running an r9 290 and a FX-6300 with a WD 2TB HDD.

What should I upgrade, if anything?
An SSD might be an option.

Would it be worth it to buy an 8350 if I don't do any video encoding or editing?

If I don't upgrade, I'm at least going to buy a Hyper 212 Exo and OC my 6300.
>>
SSD first for sure.
Then CPU
>>
>>51817768
Are SSDs really worth it, because I don't wanna be meme'd into buying something that doesn't matter. lel
>>
Ssd, then cpu along with cooler then video card.
>>
>>51817768
Also, I read that the 6300 will practically match the 8350 in gaming performance if I OC the shit out of it.
I don't know.
>>
>>51817794

Is it worth it is subjective. They are objectively faster. If you game more you might want to see a videocard upgrade.
>>
>>51817830
Do they still lose information if the electricity goes out?
I'm not all that worried about load times, but I'll see if I can find a cheap one just to boot my OS from.
>>
>>51817794
The only people who regurgitate the "SSDs are memes!" shit are poorfag underages/third worlders who can't afford them, and the same kind of people who tell you to delete system32 because they want you to suffer/wreck your shit.

An SSD is the single best upgrade you can get for your general computer experience. It will enhance almost fucking everything about your usage.
>>
>>51817869
Good deal, I'll probably pick one up.
I might hold off on upgrading the video card and processor for now, beings HBM2, Pascal, and Zen are coming out next year.

I'll probably grab an SSD and a decent CPU Cooler.
>>
>>51817794
My WD drive is noisy as fuck, SSD was worth it for that alone. 290 is a good card still, 390 really isn't that far past it.

8350 isn't worth it. AMD GPUs are bitchin, but their CPUs just aren't worth further investing into AMD. I would just save for a good Intel, as much as I don't like Intel they are better for the money. Sucks having to replace a motherboard though.

290 is fine though and your CPU may hold out awhile longer, if you notice textures not loading in fast enough in games (optimized games anyway) that may be the CPU, but otherwise its probably fine for a bit longer.
>>
>>51817893
Zen isn't even starting portfolio of revenue until 2017. AMD is dead in the water.
>>
>>51817904
I've actually been looking at getting a Xeon processor, because I don't need the integrated GPU.
I'm just trying to squeeze everything out of this motherboard before I switch to a different socket.

Are there any cons to Xeon vs i7?
>>
>>51817857
>Do they still lose information if the electricity goes out?
They never did this

>find a cheap one
Don't get a kingston v300.
It's the cheapest on the market for a reason: It's shit.
>>
>>51817919
Well, I still don't want to buy something this late in the year and get to Q2 next year and it be put to shame.
>>
>>51817857
SSD was the best upgrade I've done to NY system in the past 3 years. That was back when 120 gbs went for 100, saw a SanDisk ultra plus on sale for 90 and picked it up. Now you can get better performing SSDs for half of that. If you're that worried about getting one, get a 40 dollar one. Either adata or silicon power. Only other two ive used personally.

As for if you lose data, no you don't. Even if your drive dies for whatever reason, all your documents and data should be saved on the HDD instead. SSD is only for your OS and programs. Maybe a few games with long load times granted you have the space.

There's really nothing to upgrade for now. Overclock your 6300 and get that extra 10-20 fps if your frames are lacking. Next thing you should upgrade afterwards is your cpu. Either wait for zen or kabylake. Gpu should be after another 2 generations or whenever it doesn't perform to your expectations. REMEMBER TO SELL YOUR PARTS. some tards out there buy your parts for near full price sometimes.
>>
>>51817955
Huh, I don't remember where I read that, but thanks for debunking it.

I will be sure to avoid that particular brand.
>>
>>51817954
Yes shit isn't designed around them because they are not a consumer grade CPU. For that matter if you aren't planning to video encoding or 3D design even the i7 is pushing into the realms of money better spent upgrading more often rather than on a better part now. If its just for gaming a good level of i5 will do the job very well, and probably excel over the next several years for a lot less.

I find its good to sit in the sweet spot where you get the best value for the parts. I see blow their money and 600 dollar GPUs that end up with a cheap mid range on the same level the next year for a whole 10 extra fps their monitor can't render. I did that in my first build with my CPU, but its really just worth it to change out every few years instead of over investing in a single build unless you have tons of money to toss around. But up to you sometimes it is nice to have the best for the feeling, but it would be for feeling more so than performance for most.

SSD also keep going on sale right now. Sandisk and Samsung are pretty good. Crucial is okay too. Even 250gb have been pretty cheap lately and you can demote the current drive to storage.
>>
>>51818136
Overclocking the balls off the 6300 will make it nearly match a Haswell i5. I'm thinking that's my best bet if I don't wanna spend money I don't need to right now.

The SSD thing is starting to look like a pretty cool option, though... I can use that in builds for the years to come if I want so it's really no harm no foul if I do pick one up.
>>
>>51818191
I would say so. Stick it out with the 6300, OC if you need to, and snag an SSD. And the 290 is still great, maybe only 10% behind a 390 and anything beyond a 390 isn't really worth it.

I thought it might be pointless too, but the silent aspect is really nice and HDD rpm is sometimes a choke point you won't have to worry about. And even if you replace the SSD in future builds you can use it as a secondary drive since they are tiny as hell they fit anywhere.

Check amazon those things keep going on sale if they ship to your country anyway.
>>
>>51818234
I'm in the US, thankfully. I've seen the prices of things in other countries.
>>
>>51818191
You won't OC a 6300 to i5 levels without liquid nitrogen cooling kek.

It also won't beat the i5 in anything but synthetic benchmarks. Won't be as good in vidya.
>>
>>51818191
Anon, don't spread false information. An overclocked 6300 will not even touch a haswell i5. Not saying it won't get better performance from the OC but it won't be at all comparable to haswell i5s.Coming from an 8350 overclocked to 4.6 ghz to a 4690k is a huge difference in performance. If you don't personally have both, please refrain from spreading false information.
>>
File: crysis3_cpu_jungle_1024.png (24 KB, 550x768) Image search: [Google]
crysis3_cpu_jungle_1024.png
24 KB, 550x768
>>51817813
>>51817764
If you haven't already, overclock the fuck out of that processor, you won't need to upgrade then. It'll outperform a third gen i5 in well threaded games.
At stock it Already outperforms an i5 2500, which is a decent processor.
>>
File: images (3).jpg (26 KB, 386x381) Image search: [Google]
images (3).jpg
26 KB, 386x381
>>51818361
>>51818375
If it doesn't beat the haswell i5 then it gets within spitting distance.
It beats an i5 3570 in crysis 3 too.
>>
>>51817764
Get a SSD and wait for Zen.
>>
File: 1446930114072.jpg (92 KB, 523x440) Image search: [Google]
1446930114072.jpg
92 KB, 523x440
Moar gigglehertz.
>>
ssd, overclock, flash that 290 bios to a 390x.
>>
>>51817869
Seriously now? You didn't see that thread that was up for like two days about ssds?
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.