[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am a student in high school wanting to go into computer science.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: CS.png (24 KB, 580x323) Image search: [Google]
CS.png
24 KB, 580x323
I am a student in high school wanting to go into computer science. I want to aim for a PHD for the higher starting salary and the more experience. Is that rational? Or would it be beneficial to just get a bachelors?
>>
College is a meme.

Just work at fast food.
>>
>>51816646
No. Getting a PhD is absolutely retarded if you are in it just for the money.
>>
>>51816646

I'm not a CS major but I can tell you that you will either have to compete with cheap Indians or VERY smart people in the future. Projects, experience/internships, and connections are a must. Connections are probably your best bet in the future, because there's going to be at least 50,000 exact replicas of you jumping on the train.

So should you get a bachelors? Maybe if you're going to get it from a well known CS college and either have the skills (everyone who applies at the good positions do) or the connections. PhDs don't seem useful at all in CS and the ones I see irl are the ones who go into academia and such. Maybe a research position, but other than that, a bachelors might seem better in the long run as you can get a job and work your way up.
>>
>>51816646
aim for the PhD

school is a lot more fun than working
>>
>>51816691
It's not just that. I come from a family of doctors (mom, dad, brother) and I want to carry the legacy. lol. I want the most knowledge in the field that I can get.
>>
>>51816717
Umm a PhD in Computer Science doesn't get you a medical license.
>>
Then you've answered your own question.

Btw most PHD CS I know are shit at coding because they lack real world experience.
>>
You should generally get phd if you want to focus on a specific field of research and(continuously) submit research papers about it.
If you're just for the money, and/or not enjoying academia life at all, doing phd does not make any sense.
>>
>>51816646
>a PHD for the higher starting salary

That applies to actual sciences not computer sciences.
>>
>>51816717
You pursue a PhD because you love research, you self important dick. See if you can pass your way through a bachelors degree before worrying about your "legacy".
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.