[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which programming language should I start with (I'm new
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6
File: clean-coding-best-practices[1].jpg (122 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
clean-coding-best-practices[1].jpg
122 KB, 800x450
Which programming language should I start with (I'm new to programming)?
>>
C
>>
You shouldn't.
>>
Visual Basic
>>
>>51812094
>>51812122
>>51812117
Why the hostile attitude?
>>
>>51812076
pic related
>>
Python and add sqlite when you manage to make stuff work in python
>>
lua
>>
Go here and take the course for free by pressing "access course materials"

https://www.udacity.com/course/intro-to-computer-science--cs101

You will be a decent programmer at the end of it that can solve any python programming problem given enough time. It will make other languages easier and you will be able to do something useful much faster than learning C first. It is more motivating
>>
C++, not the easiest, but you'll be able to do pretty much anything you'd want.
>>
>>51812139

Because we have the same thread about 12 times each day

Hint: read the fucking wiki
>>
>>51812076
Whichever lol
There's no good language to start with, imo good books and documentation are more important. That's what really puts people off when starting. I started with Java and I'm fine. Plenty of people started with Java, C++, PHP etc., it reaaally doesn't matter and the hostility comes the fact that this question is tired, old and retarded. Follow yr heart. Don't spend too much time thinking about it, just find a good book and stick with it.
>>
>>51812186
Thanks
>>51812193
OK, fair enough.
>>
html
>>
>>51812076

Create a GUI interface using Visual BASIC to track an IP address.
>>
Believe me, start with python. When you know the basics, then try some others
>>
To all of our new friends looking to get into coding: the language doesnt fucking matter, you can do everything in every language. You need to understand data structure and algorithms, as well as the backing technology (it).

focus on the LAMP stack, thats how i started
>>
SCALA because its the future bro

contains all the good stuff python has, and more
>>
File: logo-and-text.png (18 KB, 396x120) Image search: [Google]
logo-and-text.png
18 KB, 396x120
>>51812076
Racket.
For a book use http://htdp.org
>>
C+=
>>
>>51812139
>suggests C
>hostile attitude
wat

I'd have understood your point if he recommended an intimidating language like Haskell or PHP, but C really is the best way to start.
>>
>>51812387
I thought it was one of the hardest to learn? Or is that C++? My bad.
>>
>>51812471
C is not used in 2015, only legacy software that hasn't been updated yet still needs it. Don't listen to people who suggest it, it's archaic and dangerous to use.
>>
>>51812387
>>51812499

C is a great language to learn for starters. That's what my Fund. Comp Sci teacher used.

Intro to programming - Python
Fundamentals of Comp sci. - C, Java

We started with C and went to Java afterwards. C will teach you about memory addresses, pointers and how variables actually work. It will teach you good programming etiquette and how to properly write code as opposed to fucking spaghetti code.

You will learn about prototypes/functions and routines and how they work. Literally, C will teach you almost everything you need to know about how the machine handles programs. They only lower you can go is machine code/assembly. Assembly is pretty awesome to learn JUST for the concept of it, you really get a great fundamental idea of how programming works after messing around with it a bit. It's insanely redundant for a human brain and takes nearly forever to manually write out a simple if then routine, but it is worth it and you will learn quite a bit just messing with it for a week. Also, if you want to be a 1337x0r haxx0r you will need to learn how to mess with assembly if you want to develop your own exploits.

I digress, I'd advise C then Java or any other OOP for that matter. And write some fun machine code / learn how the program debug works in windoze.
>>
File: adiane by piote.png (433 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
adiane by piote.png
433 KB, 500x600
>>51812076
C

actualy, read https://mega.nz/#!KoJRgCra this book. it's like 30 pages and i got into programming with it.
>>
>>51812718
>https://mega.nz/#!KoJRgCra
Decryption Key
>>
>>51812471
Not hard at all. It's starting to be superseded by languages that offer compile-time memory safety (Rust, Swift), but it's still relevant. IMHO, you can't learn serious programming without being familiar with C-level stuff like stack vs. heap and static vs. dynamic allocation, pointers and even simple stuff like linking, which is entirely transparent in new languages (and probably unknown to a lot of younger programmers). Go with C for a couple of months, write a few projects, and then move on. This will make you appreciate the achievements of higher-level languages (Python, Haskell, Lisp) or the new generation of low level ones (like Rust) much more. And it takes away most of the magical and frustating feeling that you'd otherwise get from having everything served to you.

C++ is also fine, and arguably more useful in the industry. You could still benefit from glancing through the C library included in the C++ stdlib, since C++ hides a bit more details.
>>
File: 40863175.jpg (201 KB, 751x840) Image search: [Google]
40863175.jpg
201 KB, 751x840
>>51812797
fucking mega, here you go !WjLG8-yxxa3S-JRTcCGNMaN7O5np9m5lgKYpxFjOOOs
>>
>>51812186

this shit is boring as fuck.

>print 1+1
>it's fucking 2
>>
>>51812076
Scheme or Common Lisp.
>>
>>51812139
I'm >>51812094
I literally gave you the best answer to your question. No bullshit. Straight out. You could have just closed the thread after you read my post and been set. Instead you complain about hostility. I'm actually a programmer and know what I'm talking about. That fucktard who said it's archaic doesn't know shit about programming. Fuck you, you absolute cunt.
>>
>>51813191
this.
>>
>>51813191
You were right. Sorry man.
>>
>>51812076
Python
>>
>>51813191
Why the hostile attitude?
>>
>>51812499
>C is not used in 2015
I'm using it for my job right now. Granted that my boss is too attached to old stuff but its definitely a language that needs to be known.
>>
File: e9d.jpg (16 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
e9d.jpg
16 KB, 600x600
>obvious is obvious

Wat? You're not already using C+=? Check you're privilege you scum.
>>
>>51812076
perl
>>
>>51814819
You shoulda shopped that pic to say "low equality bait"
>>
>>51812076
C.

The language doesn't matter. What matters is that you learn about the underlying concepts that can be applied to any language.

That's why C is a good starting point, because you learn the basic tools that will apply to any language. Then you can jump to Java or Python or whatever once you've firmly grasped it. Nothing you learn about C will be wasted. You can't properly appreciate objects until you've had to malloc() things. It's good to learn that all the memory allocation is what objects do, it's just handled by the language instead of the programmer. But you learn insight into what will go wrong even in higher level languages once you know about pointers and memory allocation.

If the syntax is too scary for you then start with Python to get the hello world and loop basics, but I strongly advise going to C afterward
>>
>>51812076
>clean-coding-best-practices
>inline JS
>after body tag
>inline styles
>not using +=
the fuck
>>
>>51812076
Basic
>>
Java
>>
JavaScript.

Haters gonna hate. You can do OOP/Functional programming just fine and learn all the typical aspects.

You can learn all the important programming paradigms without being confused by the hardware(C and ASM, etc.)
>>
>>51812076
C++
>>
>>51812076
!java
>>
X86 assembly
>>
Asm
>>
Ruby or Python.

Both are easy and forgiving - good languages for learning algorithms and programming logic. Once you understand those things, learning new languages is trivial.

You should still learn C, just later.
>>
Prolog or Lisp or kill yourself. Pick one.
>>
>>51812636
>C is a great language to learn for starters

Hahahaha. Only delusional programmers who have forgotten what it's like to be a beginner/haven't tutored people new to programming suggest C or C++ for a starting language. The next joke I'll hear is that beginners should totally use vim/gdb to edit/debug instead of visual studio.
>>
C is good, because you learn a lot.
Lua is easy but you'll still learn something.
Also Python.
>>
C was an amazing starting language years ago when computers were fundamentally easier to understand. They've far surpassed that point.
>>
I think if you are learning it would be wise not to devote yourself too deeply to a single language. Try to learn the absolute basics and solve some small problems in many languages before you think about doing any bigger projects. That way you can get exposure to many computer science and engineering ideas and not develop baby duck sydrome and autistically wave a banner for the one and only language you bothered to learn.

I would say a good route would be:

Start with scheme and SCIP if possible. Do the examples but don't sweat the details. When you feel like you can solve simple problems, move to python, ruby or perl to get a feel for simple scripting.

Then move to C to get closer to the hardware level. Dabble in asm, write your own non-trivial programs if you're a bad enough dude

Finally dive into Java, C#, or C++ to learn about OOP and software engineering in general. Consider picking up a web development languages and frameworks.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.