[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Telegram's MTPRoto cipher not secure
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: Telegram_logo.svg.png (84 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
Telegram_logo.svg.png
84 KB, 1024x1024
The Telegram audit has just been published and describes two theoretical attacks by changing the ciphertext in order to decrypt the encrypted plaintext. Source: http://eprint.iacr.org/2015/1177.pdf

Reminder to always steer clear of someone's self-invented crypto™®
>>
>>51806576
well shit looks like my project could have a chance

i should really get back to work ugh
>>
Lots of telegram users have been put in prison for stuff they wrote using it. It's just a honeypot to get terrorists, don't use it for personal information
>>
>>51806576
from what i see in the pdf the data is still secure, the attacker can mess with padding or garble last bit of text
but can't decrypt any of it
>>
>>51806576
good fuck this app.
Hope the my ex gets caught for fucking cheating on me with a nigga that has a wife.
I will forever hate telegram pos
>>
>>51806576
every crypto is self invented
>>
https://whispersystems.org/blog/signal-desktop/>>51806753
They could, but the attacks haven't been harnessed yet. Your average script kiddie can't find out your dirty secrets, yet.

>>51806777
Fair enough, maybe 'non-standardised and non-proven over time' would be more appropriate. I'm sure you understand what they mean though. For those that don't, please read up on security through obscurity and Auguste Kerckhoffs' Principle or Claude Shannon's Maxim.
>>
>>51806647
Sauce muh friend?
>>
>>51806576
Message provided by your local three letter agency, backdooring established cryptos since ever
>>
>>51806647

Do elaborate. Or are you the legendary faggot man?
>>
>>51806647
I'm going to need a source.

Also, if you make threats on any messaging platform, expect to be arrested or at least investigated. But just saying things that aren't threats is protected by the first amendment, at least in America.
>>
>>51807045
America != United States of America
>>
>>51806576
I knew that was going to be anounced sooner or later. There's a reason why you should never roll your own crypto.
Still prefer this shit to whatsapp or viber though.
(Why can't normies just use SMS or Mail anyway?)
>>
>>51807092
Don't be a nitpicking pedant.

Every person on the face of the Earth recognizes the term America, when not prefaced with north or south, to mean the USA.
>>
>>51807148
You're right, but that's also why everyone's wrong. The ambiguity expressed with certain words, terms or phrases is basically just stupid and easily avoided.
>>
>>51807130
>I knew that was going to be anounced sooner or later.
NSA, please leave.
>There's a reason why you should never roll your own crypto.
Very true.
>Still prefer this shit to whatsapp or viber though.
No proper crypto, zero privacy.
>(Why can't normies just use SMS or Mail anyway?)
No crypto by default. Inb4 SMSSecure and PGP. There are numerous IM alternatives that offer stronger crypto. I love PGP, but the lack of encrypted subjects and forward secrecy bugs me.
>>
>>51806576
WHAT THE FUCK HAVE I BEEN SAYING FOR 4 MONTHS ON THIS FUCKING FORUM ABOUT THIS PIECE OF SHIT SOFTWARE. FUCKING START LISTENING YOU WORTHLESS PIECE OF HUMAN FILTH
>>
>>51807711
>WHAT THE FUCK HAVE I BEEN SAYING
>Anonymous
Please leave.
>>
this board. fuck
>>
>We stress that this is a theoretical attack on the definition of security and we do not see any way of turning the attack into a full plaintext-recovery attack
>>
>>51807852
>we
>>
>>51806788
>They could
please provide the source for that claim
>>
>>51807852
I love how somehow everyone missed this part. Top comment on https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10716533 claims that this is a building block for a more powerful attack, which is absolute bs
>>
It has been known for a long time that Telegram's crypto is insecure.

It's a shame, because it is a really nice and lightweight messenger otherwise. Why don't they just switch to using standard routes of cryptography instead of attempting their own implementation?
>>
> steer clear of someone's self-invented crypto

stop worshipping the security scene 'rockstars.' rolling your own crypto is the *only* way to secure your own shit if you base it on solid, audited principles.

your statement is derived from half-hearted attempts, and breeds misdirection.
>>
>>51811180
Sounds you read
http://paulmillr.com/posts/the-story-of-telegram/
and not the OP, which is in fact a working attack on Telegram and not just a crypto 'rockstar' wanting attention.
>>
>>51810961
>It has been known for a long time that Telegram's crypto is insecure.
source?
>>
>>51807200
>>51807092
Typical butthurt spic
>>
File: 1391619477159.png (67 KB, 289x369) Image search: [Google]
1391619477159.png
67 KB, 289x369
>>
>>51811532
m-muh SHA1 and IGE encryption
>>
a) it has been known forever that telegrams crypto is homebrew shit
b) why aren't you using signal yet?
>>
>>51812724
because gapps.

found a repo that has a fork with websocket instead, but i forgot i don't have anyone to text.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.