[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
IRC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: icechat.jpg (173 KB, 959x559) Image search: [Google]
icechat.jpg
173 KB, 959x559
How to get into IRC? What do people mainly use it for? What are some active channels?
>>
What the actual fuck is that picture?

Anyway. Why would you want to "get into" IRC? Go there if you have a community you're part of that uses it. Or maybe if you're doing some programming and want help with a language or framework or whatever else and their chosen group chat is IRC.

There's no point in just randomly going to an IRC server to find somewhere to chat unless you're doing it for the sake of a specific topic.
>>
>>51801894
>What do people mainly use it for?
circle jerking
>>
>>51801894
>How to get into IRC?
Get a client.
Connect to a server.
Congratulations, you're on IRC.

Shitposting in real time.

>What are some active channels?
Check irc.installgentoo.com for /g/ themed shenanigans. Besides that, that really depends on your interests and the communities you want to join.
>>
Bump for interest
>>
>>51801894
people mainly use it to circlejerk or idle all day
>>
Op you sits backward on the horse. First be part of a community, than go to that exact forum, where they communicate with each other. In case of irc, go to irc. If they use skype, use skype. If they use Facebook, use Facebook. If they use reddit, hang yourselves
>>
>>51801894
Isn't IRC the easiest way to give your IP to people who really likes IP ?
>>
>>51801910
>What the actual fuck is that picture?

IceChat, the superior client for Windows.
>>
>>51801924
>>51801894

Idling
>>
>>51801894
go to a larger server, join channels with names of things you enjoy (music, tech, 4chins, some anime) and talk to people occasionally

I love just randomly talking to people
>>
>>51801894
connect to a IRC server
for chatting, obviously
write /list and sort by user count
/thread
>>
>tfw the first IRC room I tried to join was full of dicks and I've avoided it since
Is it really as autistic as /g/ and my shitty experience made it seem like?
>>
>>51802072
thats true but it depends. on some servers if youre ghosting whois just returns [email protected] or something similar
>>
File: 1409337243733.jpg (71 KB, 720x602) Image search: [Google]
1409337243733.jpg
71 KB, 720x602
>>51802105

Kinda what I was looking for. Just chatting with random people for fun mostly. Where should I look?
>>
Rizon #hunarmy
>>
>>51802198
I like Freenode, 4channers are plenty in Rizon as well.

Let me just tell you the basics
Usually after you connect to a network you have to register with their Nick Server (NickServ)
so doing like so:
/msg NickServ help

will send "help" to NickServ and then you get your registering instructions

Every time you connect you have to login, usually:
/msg NickServ #password#

though most IRC clients login for you if you set the nickname and password in preferences
>>
>>51801894
>you want to "get into" IRC? Go there if you have a community you're part of that uses it. Or maybe if you're doing some programming and want help with a language or framework or whatever else and their chosen group cha

1. Download Hex chat, it's a free client
2. People use it for chatting and for the warez (google xdcc bot search engine)
3. There are a shit ton of active channels and servers / networks
>>
>>51802279
Then, to join channels you usually just to

/join channelname

Some channels have # before the name, some have ## before the name

So, sometimes there are more channels with the same name but varying the #

And you can whois on other people, and it lists their real name if they put it, their mail if they put it, and the list of channels they're on (cool for finding about new channels)

Have fun anon
>>
File: 1394754802983.jpg (3 KB, 110x160) Image search: [Google]
1394754802983.jpg
3 KB, 110x160
>>51802279
>>51802300
Cheers man

>>51802291
>There are a shit ton of active channels and servers / networks

Like?
>>
>>51802072
No. It's what hackers use to communicate anonymously. It's like shipping channels, it leaves no evidence
>>
>>51802332
I idle on abjects.net

They use ssl and have hostserv to protect your IP
>>
>>51802344
Luckily, I speak l33t.
>>
>>51802332
http://irc.netsplit.de/networks/
>>
>>51801910
Pretty sure you were born in 1999.
>>
It's 2014 op just use whatsapp nerd baka
>>
>>51802198
>>51802332
Don't forget irc.installgentoo.com. It's an actul thing and it's pretty cool.
>>
I used to go on irc.420chan.org and talk with the other druggies in #drugs. I even met up with a few of them and did drugs. Overall a bad experience though
>>
File: hx.png (66 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
hx.png
66 KB, 1366x768
comfier than urs
>>
You can go on #plez for dank stuff.
>>
>>51803591

wow all those emotes please hang yourself on a ceiling fan
>>
I actually haven't used it much besides XDCC bots on rizon. Don't want the Uni police to catch me!
>>
IRC is widely used (twitch) still and not all networks or channel are cancer. Some of us older non Millennials stick to it still after all these years.

Not sure why it gets hated on, figured it was up /g/'s turf.
>>
>>51806328
Can you recommend channels?
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.