[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/, I'm trying to decide on a distro to help me get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: Arch_Linux_logo.svg.png (7 KB, 250x74) Image search: [Google]
Arch_Linux_logo.svg.png
7 KB, 250x74
Hey /g/, I'm trying to decide on a distro to help me get familiar with the linux scene before moving onto arch. Any suggestions?
>>
Ubuntu. Get familiar with the command line, then move on.
>>
>>51795540
For what its worth, I want to run it on an old netbook
>>
Manjaro
If you're a braindead retard, then maybe Ubuntu
>>
>>51795565
Seeing how I am going to install it on an old netbook, do you reckon I should install a more lightweight derivative?
>>
>>51795584
I've looked at Manjaro before but it doesn't look like it's lightweight enough for my netbook.
>>
>>51795590
There's Lubuntu. It runs well on my underpowered laptop (1.7 GHz AMD single core, 2GB RAM).
>>
>>51795612
Manjaro with openbox or i3 should work.
>>
>>51795612
If xfce isn't lightweight enough for your netbook then something's wrong
>>
>>51795676
I was reffering more to the fact that it uses KDE plasma.
>>
>>51795655
What do you recommend, Kubuntu or Lubuntu?
>>
>>51795612
Manjaro with xfce is super lightweight and a better option if your plan is to get arch eventually. If it's not lightweight enough, then install puppy Linux on that pentium 2 laptop
>>
>>51795710
I've not tried Kubuntu. My understanding is that Lubuntu was designed with low-performance devices in mind and comes with programs which don't consume too many resources. It uses LXDE as its desktop manager.
>>
Well, since your main goal is Arch, why not start with Arch? Start the installation in the VM, understand the install concepts, then from there learn the coreutils and BASH concepts, learn the init system too, which is systemd. Keep reading the Wiki, that's what its there for to learn.
>>
>>51795813
I was thinking of doing that but I'm a little afraid of killing my computer.
>>
>>51795813
Plus the setup looks a little daunting
>>
>>51795858

If it's in a virtual machine, it's safe. I'd recommend virtualbox. diving into a distro like arch is the best way to learn linux, using other distros does everything for you, sure you can learn the command line, but it isn't enough. You have to understand how it's all put together and how it all works, suchas the bootloader, init system, kernelspace/userspace. Arch is a great start.
>>
>>51795612
Manjaro is literally just Arch with an install script so you don't have to manually edit config files to get it up and running.

If you can run Arch you can run Manjaro.
>>
install memtoo
>>
File: file.jpg (107 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
107 KB, 1600x900
>>51795710
Kubuntu is rather intensive because kde is an intense experience.

Ignore Amarok, I've only just got this installed and found out the new album had already dropped while I was waiting.
>>
arch just went through a massive update btw
>>
>>51795872
He is trolling you. It is way worse than you imagine, first time I installed arch I learned tons of stuff, but it took hours and hours of painstaking work just to make the WiFi work. And it did not end up like I wanted, but it chugged along like a airplane held together by duct tape. I really did not want to mess up what was currently working. My boot had two boot different boot menus for example, very irritating, but I would hate to mess that up. And everyone talks about how good the arch wiki is, but it assumes you are a expert on partitioning and that you know what partitions are needed and so on. And if you are dual booting you might easily destroy your windows partition like I did. Try manjaro first
>>
>>51795923
>manjaro
autism. just use architect
>>
>>51796430
I'm on a thinkpad and installed it six different ways and it didn't work. Architect is now a meme. Base install or fuck off.
>>
Arch is not "Linux for grownups." If you want to get into Linux you can do it with any distro. Arch is just for geeks who want to tweak their desktop, it's not like you graduate to it after cutting your teeth on a "noob" distro.

If you're just a memetard then stop letting reddit and /g/ tell you that you need to have a harder to use desktop to be a real man. If you actualy want to geek out on Arch Linux then you should just dive straight in, rather than needing to replace your OS in a few weeks. Arch isn't very hard to install if you have a spare laptop/phone to read the wiki.
>>
>>51796472
Manjaro, Antergos, Arch, architect and gentoo all install without issues on my dankpad.
>>
Anyone who tells you they actually use arch is either an aspie-ridden idiot or lying. Arch has no significant benefits over any other distro.

Like, I work in a full on linux shop and nobody uses arch. Everyone uses some flavor of Ubuntu or Fedora and nobody EVER touches anything else, because there's literally no point.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.