[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /g/ I want to buy a tablet but I don't know which
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: tablets.jpg (509 KB, 2455x2052) Image search: [Google]
tablets.jpg
509 KB, 2455x2052
Hello /g/

I want to buy a tablet but I don't know which OS to go with, which one can I do more things with windows, android, or apple.
>>
>>51793811
whichever ecosystem you're already in
>>
>>51793819
This. I can't think of an aspect to decide on other than this, especially in 2015
>>
>>51793819
I'm not in one at the moment, I have a windows laptop but all I do is pretty much stream videos and read online so I want a tablet.
>>
Noob here so pardon my ignorance but this is my understanding so far:

All tablets are pretty much the same hardware i.e. that is a high res screen.

Android has alot of apps and its easy to get free music and movies

Apple has alot of apps and they are all of high quality, but it will be hard to get free content because of its closed garden nature.

Windows - well I don't really understand this on tablet, would I go to an app store or would I download software like I do on my windows 7 laptop.

Am I right?
>>
File: 1449752133506.jpg (70 KB, 736x442) Image search: [Google]
1449752133506.jpg
70 KB, 736x442
>>
No shit I bought an 8" linx windows tablet with windows 10 home installed for £60!!! And it is absolutely fantastic. I own a nexus 7 and a 9.4 chink tablet and after using the linx both of these just feel like oversized phones limited to what they can do. I use the linx for browsing the net and as a note taker and organiser the best thing is I can install real programs (even if they are now called apps) and use it like I would my laptop.

£60!!!
>>
File: 1448684855960.jpg (128 KB, 964x748) Image search: [Google]
1448684855960.jpg
128 KB, 964x748
>>51793999
upgradable to win10
>>
>>51793999

>1 GB of RAM

Good job, good effort
>>
>>51794053
How do you get apps for these?
>>
i run arch on my surf pro 3 and couldnt be happier
>>
>>51794076
Windows doesn't even take that much up.
>>
>>51793999
Got one on black friday for $90. Happy with it, except for no opt out on M$ account to validate windows and toshiba collects "telemetry" too. Not using for internet until I install a good firewall to block shit.

>>51794053
>upgrade

>>51794076
Using mine for mainly a reader and music so far, so haven't had any problems.

>>51794085
Windows store or any windows programs. I'm running an old copy of winamp on my other win tablet that's from my desktop.
>>
>>51794220
Thanks for the reply, I was >>51794085

How did you get winamp onto it, is it in the windows appstore or does it involve tech stuff which i might find hard.
>>
>>51793872
Android gives you more choice and they don't make your hardware slower on purpose to make you buy the newest android because it would make no sense. (if they did that then people might buy a competing android tablet, but Apple apparently do. There is a lot of complaints of slow apple products whenever there is a new apple product on the market and that is likely on purpose.)

Also steve jobs is dead, being fachist and controlling and punishing users for doing something the apple product was not intended to do is not charming anymore without that guy. Now you are being pushed around by a faceless corporation instead of a "visionary".
>>
>>51794270
>How did you get winamp onto it
Just copied the old install file to the sd card.
>>
>>51793811
If you will only use it for reading and social shit go for Android or iOS. If you need to be productive or use your tablet for more than a normie does, then Win8/10 is the OS for you. Real applications, decent store (not as good as Android/iOS but has enough apps), office runs great, OneNote is perfect for school or notes and the prices are lower (mine has a quadcore atom, 1gb ram and 32 gb from internal memory for $100 with keyboard included)
>>
Best tab is linx 10 if you don't have surface money tbf >>51793811
>>
battery last less on Windows tablets but performance is better and it can run x86 apps. Android and iOS has better enery management but feels like a toy os.
>>
>>51794358
I dont understand this:

>if I want to be more productive go windows
>android has more apps

I would have thought apps = productivity. does android with all its billions of apps not have one as good as microsoft office it cant be that hard to make office.
>>
more apps != more productivity
>>
File: 1449755279205.jpg (175 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
1449755279205.jpg
175 KB, 1280x800
>>51794085
>How do you get apps for these?

its full windows 10. so just installed the setup program you get from the sites (i.e. pdf reader is the one you normally install in the desktop). all the installed programs are the ones for a regular windows install.
>>
>>51794831
thanks bro
>>
File: 1449756714886.jpg (61 KB, 1012x611) Image search: [Google]
1449756714886.jpg
61 KB, 1012x611
forgot the mention. it also has a micro hdmi out (cable seperate).
>>
>>51793999
tfw got the 64gb 2gb ram version in january for $130
>>
>>51795216
WHAT this is cool
>>
>>51793811
Currently have an android tablet. To be honest right now i'd go for...

iPad>Windows>Android

Android is comedically let down by it's software, windows suffers from the only good tablets being expensive.

Ideal tablet right now? Surface 3, or the Surface 4 when it comes along
>>
>>51794536

Look I fucking hate both Apple and MS and will not use their fucking horse shit, but Android isn't really much better. Android does have more apps. It also has far more apps that are broken, pieces of shit. There's no shortage of apps that don't do a fucking thing at all except spy on you, and run your battery down.

If I didn't despise Apple and/or MS so much I recommend them, but since they also suck dicks you're fucked no matter what you decide, and also no matter what you're gonna have people telling you about how their precious is so much more awesomer than yours and therefore you suck and are a fucking retarded nigger, faggit.
>>
>>51795638
>puts ipad ahead of windows
>recommends surface 3

I agree on android though. Their tablets are shit.
>>
>>51793811
Depends, what are you looking for?
4:3 for reading PDF-Books-Comics master race. I love it for reading scientific papers
16:10 is better for muh gaymes and "consume" media (fucking millennials), you know, youtube videos, etc.

If you like productivity Windows
If your dick is deep enough into Google, Android
If you want to pay more for quality apps (most of them aren't free either) made just for tablet, mobile games and such, iOS
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.