[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Please tell me all I should know about Vulkan
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: vulkan_slide01.jpg (78 KB, 730x450) Image search: [Google]
vulkan_slide01.jpg
78 KB, 730x450
Please tell me all I should know about Vulkan
>>
>>51793659
it's going to make vidya on linux better and the linux has no games meme will die.
>>
File: 320x240.jpg (23 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
320x240.jpg
23 KB, 320x240
>>51793659
>>
>>51793659
It's not OpenGL.
>>
It's Mantle/D3D12 on every platform
>>
>>51793746

But will all games work for it, or do devs have to specifically make their games compatible?
>>
>>51793996
You have to specifically program using it, yes. It's the exact same as how most games only have D3D, some only have OpenGL, and some have both.

Only now, more devs will probably use Vulkan as it is both more similar to D3D12 and it will have a decent set of tools, something OpenGL lacked.
>>
>>51793659
They still haven't published the fucking spec so DX12 already won.
>>
>>51794040
I'm hesitant to say that D3D12 has won anything. I don't think the reasons that caused D3D11 to win over OpenGL are applicable here.
>>
>>51794040
>implying DX12 is going to win on Android, iOS, Linux or OS X
>>
>>51794040
>>51794110
Also, people don't want to upgrade to Windows 10. Where last time it was all about supporting D3D9 and D3D11, we might see D3D11 and Vulkan as the two tiers.
>>
>>51794129
Apple has shown zero interest in implementing Vulkan, they're doing that Metal bullshit instead.
Linux will continue to be an irrelevant second class citizen.
It will take a decade for enough Android devices to get Vulkan support before it's viable to use.
>>
>>51794040
Only works on windows 10 which few want to upgrade to. It be better to compare vulkan to directx 11.
>>
>>51794169
>Linux will continue to be an irrelevant second class citizen.
I doubt it. Vulkan doesn't have a lot of responsibilities like OpenGL does, so it will be a hell of a lot easier for driver programmers.
>>
File: Capture.png (14 KB, 316x213) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
14 KB, 316x213
>>51794180
> Only works on windows 10 which few want to upgrade to.

Windows 10 is four months old and already nearly half of users with DX12-capable cards have upgraded. What you hear on /g/ isn't really a representative sample of the market.
>>
And what about performance? I hear it will make low-end CPUs perform much better
>>
>>51794229
It's less taxing on the CPU in general, but it also makes it a lot easier to spread work across all your COARS. So it will provide a huge boost to AMD's hexa- and octacores as well as i7s, to a lesser extent.

Of course, that's given a willingness on programmers' parts to not write terrible code.
>>
>>51794223
>Windows 10 is four months old and already nearly half of users with DX12-capable cards have upgraded.
Windows 10 is a downgrade and also unncessary.
>>
>>51794223
And that's before the first DX12 games ship and give people a really tangible reason to upgrade.

Vulkan is DOA.
>>
Tldr:

Its essentially people who make games write their code that normally would be compiled every time on the gpu when ran, now precompiled to a byte code that runs on your graphics card.
>>
File: vulk.png (3 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
vulk.png
3 MB, 1920x1200
>>51794229
that it will.
>>
>>51794351
war of the penises
>>
>>51794343
This is actually pretty accurate. I'd go even further and say that it's machine code, not byte code.
>>
>>51794791
Pretty sure its bytecode because the goal was to make the code native instruction agnostic, and allow the hardware manufacturers implement the virtual machine
>>
>>51795078
Or maybe it was the driver that was essentially the vm that would communicate with the gpu, I'll have to read up on it again.
>>
>>51795078
>>51795098
Yeah, when you build something like a command buffer, the driver simply turns it directly into what the GPU consumes. There's no "VM" running on the GPU.
>>
it will fail, like OpenGL did
>>
>>51794343
But OpenGL has support for binary shaders since 4.0...

I think the most important new feature is the ability to construct the command buffers by yourself and submit them in one batch to the GPU - you can basically skip all the work the graphics driver was doing before.
>>
>>51795185
>But OpenGL has support for binary shaders since 4.0...

Those are tied to the hardware they were built on though, the big change with Vulkan shaders is they compile to an intermediate bytecode which is then compiled again by the driver. Reduces the surface area for bugs and makes it way easier to write shader generators.

This is what DirectX has been doing since DX9.
>>
>>51795185
There's a lot that happens in OpenGL behind your back. For example, you don't just compile a shader and go on your way. You compile the GLSL to some intermediate representation, which is then combined with a bunch of the state machine's parameters and compiled again to form a pipeline.

Since OpenGL doesn't make this clear in its API, you can get a lot of pipeline compilations happening lazily, which makes performance inconsistent and nondeterministic at best.

There's more cases where this applies but this is one of the big ones. Command buffers are another area where you can make a lot of gains, since you can validate a series of commands once and reuse them without the overhead.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.