[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
2016, Rust code and Servo components in Firefox
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: guidelines-logo.7ea045a4e288.png (56 KB, 267x272) Image search: [Google]
guidelines-logo.7ea045a4e288.png
56 KB, 267x272
> Mozilla will ship Rust code and Servo components in Firefox in 2016
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/12/09/mozilla-will-ship-rust-code-and-servo-components-in-firefox-in-2016/

> Rust is a systems programming language that runs blazingly fast, prevents segfaults, and guarantees thread safety.
> Written in Mozilla's new systems programming language, Rust, the Servo project aims to achieve better parallelism, security, modularity, and performance.

> "In 2016, we will be shipping Rust code and @ServoDev components in @firefox" #mozlando
https://twitter.com/rustlang/status/674243649987850240

Why do I have the impression that this will make the browser a resource hog and slow piece of shit? Right now I think Firefox is actually the only decent browser, both light on resources and fast.
>>
If you think Rust is slower than its C / C++ counterpart done with the memory safety and caution that shall be embodied in such an important software as the browser, then you know nothing, John Snow.
>>
>>51790559
Well, I'm not a developer, but really anything that is new runs and behaves like crap. See Chromium. Is a flickery resource hog piece of shit.
>>
>>51790341
>hy do I have the impression that this will make the browser a resource hog and slow piece of shit?
NEWSFLASH: It already is
>>
>>51790763
Not when compared to other browsers, and since most ar Chromium-based they all are resource hogs (Vivaldi and Opera 15+ included)
>>
>>51790341
Servo is best browser and it's not even alpha really... but my god does it fly
>>
>>51790842
>Servo is best browser
I thought it's a layout engine
>>
>>51790896
Oh well they got a browser to test it
>>
>>51790969
Where? Can it be downloaded? For Windows, I mean.
>>
What will be happening first: Firefox falling below 5% or Firefox switching to Rust/Servo?
>>
>>51790341
I don't fucking care anymore. Mozilla has been pushing us away for months and kicking us in the nuts with every oppurtunity they got while delivering 0 of their fucking promises like the improved performance they've been promising for years, so I finally got fed up with them. I looked into the chrome extension sdk this afternoon, built a test addon with most of the components I tend to use and one of the next days I'm gonna port the addons I made to chrome versions, forget the firefox versions exist and put this goddamn chapter of a good browser turned shit behind me while I enjoy a browser that actually has some goddamn features left: vivaldi.

You need addons in firefox to get a goddamn ssl padlock in the status bar, an addon to get a search function that actually helps you find shit at all, an addon to keep your bookmarks sorted, etc. It's fucking ridiculous, especially because as we've seen over and over, addons can be written like shit and get dropped when the devs get tired of supporting them.

Fuck you mozilla, fuck you with a cactus and I hope you burn in hell.
>>
>>51790713
you are not a developer, so don't talk about software development technologies.
>>
>>51791001
>http://build.servo.org/one_line_per_build
Looks like only mac, android and linux
>>
>>51791001
> Windows
hahaha
>>
>>51791219
You don't need to be a developer to see how much of a resouce hog a program is.
>>
Goddamn fucking hipster shit
>>
>>51791264
So it's just like the situation with Gecko: OSX first, then Loonix, then Android. And Windows is done buy the guy who loses at drawing straws.
>>
>>51791437
Poor sap, better be someone of notable ranking so you're excluded from that punishment game.
>>
>>51790341
>tfw you realize Google has been paying off Mozilla to cut and kill their products
>>
>>51792599
Google hasn't been giving money to Mozilla for over a year.
>>
>>51791219
>software development technologies
Go back to /dpt/ writing fizzbuzz in python and sucking cock, shitstain.
>>
Is this the one that's going to break all the extensions?
>>
>>51790341
>runs blazingly fast
>and guarantees thread safety
le magic face
>>
>>51792856
The extensions will be broken long before servo in its entirety makes it into firefox. This is just a component of servo they seem to be planning on replacing gecko piece by piece. They'll probably start with backend stuff like the network code or cache.
>>
Gecko is laggy cancer.
I couldn't take it any more, I had to switch to a Blink based browser last year. Firefox is currently unusable on Windows.

I could be tempted back if Mozilla gets this right and brings Firefox performance up to Chrome/Opera standards.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.