[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best C programming environment on Windows?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
So I have to use Windows and need the "best" C programming environment you can get on Windows.

I am thinking MSYS2 as it has pacman from Arch which is pretty nice. However I am happy to look at alternatives.

I want to avoid needing extra DLLs for POSIX like cygwin1.dll. Just build against the Windows CRT.

Also is Clang/LLVM a real option yet? Last time I looked it needed the MinGW standard libraries to work?
>>
>>51786289
I think that the only way to use clang is using eclipse , but im not sure.

Probably msys2 is the best option for c/c++ on windows. Or if you dont care just use visual studio.
>>
>>51786289
just install linux in a virtual machine
>>
>>51786559
Yeah I normally use Linux but a few upcoming jobs are to Windows based apps and the customer wants a Windows dev environment.
>>
>>51786627
Visual studio
>>
>>51786636
I would but VS support for modern C is shit.
>>
Code blocks is good no?
>>
>>51786884
Qtcreator?
>>
>>51786289
Cygwin or Babun w/ emacs/vim and gcc/clang. Basically Linux on Windows, except more lightweight
>>
>>51787523
>more lightweight
How so? I thought that the pseudo-emulation done by Cygwin caused it to be more bloated. I use Cygwin every one in a while for SSH/gcc and it runs great though.
>>
>>51787632
nah, cygwin isn't all that bloated. Might be the best option here.
>>
>>51786289
yes, get msys2, having a package manager is great; make sure to use the mingw-w64 shell instead of msys shell (and install mingw-w64-i686-toolchain or mingw-w64-x86_64-toolchain) if you want to avoid dependencies on msys-2.0.dll (aka, msys2's replacement of cygwin1.dll)
>>
>>51786289
Dev-C++
>>
>>51788600
thank you!
>>
>>51786289
PellesC
Though it doesn't have a crazy optimizer so you have to write more optimized code yourself (like doing the loads and stores of a pointer into local variables, don't say *p everywhere), the compiler wont transform it too wildly, no vectorizer for example - which is a good thing imo, but then again I like writing the asm for inner loops.
>>
>>51786992
This guy has the right idea, or if you like eclipse you can use c with it, somehow i never bothered since i use codeblocks for c/c++.
>>
>>51786289
Visual Studio is pretty nice if you can be bothered to learn it. It's extremely bloated though and C isn't really supported anymore.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.