[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /g/ love Xfce? Opinions?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5
File: Xfce_logo.svg.png (263 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
Xfce_logo.svg.png
263 KB, 1024x1024
Does /g/ love Xfce? Opinions?
>>
It's good
>>
>>51785615
It werks.
>>
I like it.
Works, resource friendly, functional, customizable, developers are not forcing INNOVESHUN on you and work on toasters too.
>>
>>51785615
You can use it on any *BSD and GNU/Linux, so yeah, I like.
>>
It's the only good DE left, untainted by sjws, "paradigm shifts", feature creep and reverse feature creep.
>>
>>51785615
It's good but
>gtk2
>not interest in porting it to wayland
>xfwm4 still uses xrender as composition backend
>>
File: 20151206_213519.jpg (4 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
20151206_213519.jpg
4 MB, 4160x2340
No.
>>
The entire design is complete shit
>>
>>51785748
LXDE is pretty gud too and does not need gtk3

>>51785756
XFCE is moving to gtk3
>>
The only thing one of my old laptops can run.
>>
>>51785655
Dubs pretty much says it all. Yeah, its pretty great.
>>
It's functional, but ugly.
>>
Used Manjaro with XFCE yesterday, it just werks
>>
Just werks and is customizable, not exactly a rice DE but gets the job done, especially for people transitioning from windows
>>
It's shit.
>>
Outdated piece of crap.

To light to be considered full featured.
To heavy on the resourcesto be considered ligghtweight.

To simple to be useful, to complicated to be out of the box.

It should just die. Nobody uses it, nobody ever will.
>>
File: file.gif (405 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
file.gif
405 KB, 500x375
Guys, I can't get my conky in xfce to show my OpenFonts characters?

What do, guys? What do??
>>
>>51787514

Install GNOME
>>
>>51787534
Can you write the apt-get?
>>
>>51787427
I use it and I'm quite satisfied with it.
>>
>>51787659

lol, you don't use Arch?
>>
>>51787704
Debian testing.
>>
>SCREEN TEARS
>C
>R
>E
>E
>N

>T
>E
>A
>R
>S
>>
>>51787715

Pleb tier trying to pretend you are a real Linux user.

Go back to your Ubuntu. You will find all guides with pictures.
>>
>>51787731
You just jelly my dick is bigger.
>>
>>51787746

You jst jelly I am not a virgin.
>>
File: xfce_ban.png (203 KB, 487x529) Image search: [Google]
xfce_ban.png
203 KB, 487x529
I do, I truly do. But #xfce doesn't love me. I even tried to explain it was the cats fault, but they haven't let me back in yet.
>>
>>51787719
>COMPTON
>O
>M
>P
>T
>O
>N
>>
I'm literally unable to see any real effing difference between XFCE and MATE. Why do these 2 even exist. They should be one.
>>
>>51787715
stretch bro
>>
>>51785615
I use openbox but xfce will always have a spot in my heart.
>>
>>51788102
Because it's linux and we fork the shit outta stuff.
Also, you know mate is a fork of gnome 2.
>>
>>51785615
Don't really care for the whole thing, but thunar is really nice.
>>
>>51785615
It just works, easily customizable. However, it's rather high on memory usage and seems difficult to get rid of if you're on Xubuntu. This is because it's actually a bunch of separate programs (taskbar, desktop, etc.). Anyways 1000000x better than Unity and better than Gnome.
>>
Nah, not really.
I still use it because I have a shitbox.

I hope to switch to gnome in the near furue.
>>
>>51785655
this

I've been using it for 6 months it works and is simple enough, but I would like to just use a Window manager in the future
>>
>>51785615
is light, works well and can be made to look quite nice (surprised how nice it can look with the default gnome theme).

only issue I ever had was the compositor but that was only my particular setup, namely mplayer was tearing with the default compositor on the crappy igp i have. replacing it with compton fixed it.

I use it on an old single core celeron latop and it runs like a dream. plus thunar is really nice. it doesnt have many features but it gets the job done and it's really fast.

if only gpu drivers would be better i would be tempted to throw it on my main pc.

protip: use mint's xfce.
>>
>>51785953
>XFCE is moving to gtk3
Nice. You got source for that?
>>
>>51789176

Not the same anon, but this is on their official site. Seems like more and more programs are being built against GTK3.

http://www.xfce.org/download/changelogs/4.12
>>
>>51789067
>protip: use mint's xfce.

What are you talking about? Since some time now, I experienced some major bugs with xfce under Mint. Especially true for 17.3 with xfce 4.12.
>>
>>51789267
works on my machine.tm

I dont know what to say except that mint's xfce seems lighter than xubuntu to me. outside of the problem I mentioned before it has been solid for me.
>>
>>51788083
>OUTDATED UI
>U
>T
>D
>A
>T
>E
>D

>U
>I
>>
>>51785655
/thread
>>
>>51785615
i love it.
>>51785756
>gtk2
see>>51789209
>not interest in porting it to wayland
yet. they will wait until it's more usable than x
>>xfwm4 still uses xrender as composition backend
it's lightweight and you can replace it with compiz/compton
>>
I've been using it ever since Gnome went full retard. It werks great.
>>
It's okay. Feels kinda ghetto compared to most other DEs, but it works.
>>
Fuck unity.

Xfce is love.
>>
>>51787427
too* ...jesus...
>>
>>51785615
It was the first DE I really stuck with long term, when I first switched to *nix. I've tried most of the usual DEs you hear about, and aside from Gnome and Unity I found things to like about them all. XFCE however was the one I kept going back to in the end.

These days I prefer WMs. Particularly Fluxbox, but I like CWM and PekWM a lot too. With Fluxbox you can create your own custom desktop on top of it very easily, and without all the bloat and shit you don't really ever use. As lightweight as XFCE is, it's still pretty bloated in comparison.

If I were still going to use a DE regularly it would most certainly be XFCE, so I'm not trying to bash it at all. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a lighter-weight desktop, that's still nice looking, and highly customizable, or for people using older hardware.

I rescued an old Pentium 4 from going in the dumpster at work. It originally had Windows XP professional, but the office manager had me drill holes in the HD before he let me take it. I added an old IDE HD I had lying around, and installed OpenBSD + XFCE. It's not an amazing system of course, but it is pretty impressive just how fast and responsive it is compared to what it was like. They asked me to clean malware and shit off of it at work a few times in the past, and the reason they replaced it was because of how painfully slow it was at the best of times, and it looked like Windows XP. Now it's a perfectly fine machine for basic shit, and it doesn't look bad at all.
>>
>>51785615
It's a jack of all trades out of the DEs. It isn't too intensive, it's customizeable and it's easy to use.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.