[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Im starting a project and I want to know what he most solid,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 1438034598642.jpg (205 KB, 1520x1080) Image search: [Google]
1438034598642.jpg
205 KB, 1520x1080
Im starting a project and I want to know what he most solid, stable, nigh unbreakable distro of linux there is if im going to read/write to a SQL database thousands of times a day along with running a web server for local machine access. What does /g/ think?
>>
debian or cent. BSD if you feelin loco
>>
>>51782866
Is the command line syntax roughly the same as *nix? I might consider it.
>>
>>51782791
The only way to not break any linux distro is to never let any stupid people use it.

You can use whatever distro you want. The breakage is dependent on you

>>51782885
BSD is a unix OS, yes.
>>
>>51782892
>dont let stupid people near it
Im Planing on building a POS system of sorts so that is not an option. the only real option is to obfuscate all the workings and commands. luckily linux is good at that by nature for people who have only seen windows.
>>
>>51782926
Depending on how your application is written, you could modify the linux distro to just boot up your app at start up and don't allow the user to do anything except use the app.
>>
Debian.
>>
>>51783080
thats the plan. Ill be using surf to interface with a PHP page that writes to an SQL database. I plan on setting the page to autoload as soon as the system boots. the "server" is the more worrying part. I have to allow control of some aspects of the system for normal operation but the satellite terminals will get the information and the pages from here so it needs to have as much uninterrupted uptime as possible due to the nature of the system.

I know an ideal would be to have an actual server run most of the critical processes but I would like to keep equipment to a minimum.
>>
Debian stable. I had a cronjob for apt get upgrade for two years and it only broke once
>>
>>51782791
FreeBSD ZFS PostgreSQL.
>>
>>51782791
Debian or RHEL/CentOS

accept nothing else
>>
>>51782866
>>51783087
>>51783250
>>51783282
Looks like debian is winning out so far. If thats the case, speed aside, for a PHP page would Apache or Nginx be better for something that locally hosted?
>>51783275
why PostgreSQL?
>>
CentOS is the standard for stabilitiy. It's what is used to host erlang clusters for chat services.
>>
>>51782926
> POS system
Piece of shit system? In that case use a old Microsoft system and let the viruses run wild
>>
>>51782791
Gentoo probably the most stable os that there is if you aren't stupid ^^
>>
>>51783334
>2015, almost 2016
>considering apache in non-apache-exclusive usecases
>>
>>51783334
see
>>51788306

go with nginx
or lighttpd if u swing that way
>>
File: 1449052124379.png (310 KB, 580x282) Image search: [Google]
1449052124379.png
310 KB, 580x282
>>51782791

CentOS - It's used in corporate settings. If it's set up properly, it's a beast.

I only know this because I work on them at the law firm I work at.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.