[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the thinkpad of desktops? That is, cheap, reliable, decently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 4L_2nRIJ5GZ.jpg (253 KB, 1689x1200) Image search: [Google]
4L_2nRIJ5GZ.jpg
253 KB, 1689x1200
What is the thinkpad of desktops? That is, cheap, reliable, decently spec'd and readily upgradeable machines frequently liquidated by business for dirt cheap.
>>
There's a bazillion different ones that fit the bill.
>>
Thinkcentre, optiplex etc.
>>
>>51779760
Graphic workstations. You can get shit running dual workhorses and more cores than you can shake a stick at for the low low price of slightly out of date tech.
>>
thinkpad with a docking station
>>
Tutorial on how to get a /g/ approved desktop
>place thinkpad on desk
>buy video cable
>add monitor kb/m
>???????
>profit
>>
>>51779760
A NUC. Small, efficient, and quiet.
>>
>>51779929
where do find?
>>
don't think there is an analog,

businesses use mostly dell or hp shit, worth only harvesting small bits from, and tossing the rest to the bin.
>>
HP Pavilion.
>>
>>51780485
this
>>
>>51781206

To add, you'll find them with capable processors, roomy cases, mobos with lots of room for expansion and USB 3.0 slots, and ample RAM.

Expect to upgrade your graphics card and PSU.

My last two machines have been Pavilions that I bought refurb for $300-$400. Current machine came with an i5, 16GB RAM, 1 TB HD, Windows and Office license, $395.

Added an R9 290x and an 850w PSU, away we go.
>>
File: D10_S10_L220_02[1].jpg (173 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
D10_S10_L220_02[1].jpg
173 KB, 1500x1000
>>51779760

Dell Optiplex is the closest thing. It, like the Thinkpad, was at one time ubiquitous in the corporate world.

ThinkCentre, ThinkStation, and ThinkServer if you want to be specific.

But Dell and HP have better workstation options on the used market.

ThinkVision is pretty underrated. Nobody every talks about them..
>>
>>51781280
nice, this seems like a really smart thing to do

when I sell my rig I think I'll do this. Already have a second PSU and GPU, lel
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.