[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Instead of plunging my phone with a cable I am gonna plug something
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 5
Instead of plunging my phone with a cable I am gonna plug something else with a cable and put my phone on it
So futuristic so high tech
>>
I see nothing wrong with reducing the wear on phone USB connectors
>>
>>51771262
The kicker? Wireless charging is slower.
Its a fucking gimmick feature that was brought to market just because it looks interesting.

>>51771285
Never in 20 years of working with computers have I worn out any plug whatsoever.
>>
If this thing could keep my phone charged from say, 10 feet away, then it would be useful.
>>
>>51771325
Go to bed, Tesla's ghost.
>>
Reminder: you can't use your phone while it's charging.
>>
>>51771325
enjoy brain cancer
>>
I want one.
In fact I want two: one at home and one at work.
>>
>>51771336
>implying I don't already have brain cancer from using a cell phone to begin with
I do enjoy it, thank you.
>>
>>51771336
You mean bigger brain cancer than from actually using the goddamn cell phone?
Also, you better don't carry it in your pants' pocket, because it can shrink your sack.
>>
>>51771306
>Never in 20 years of working with computers have I worn out any plug whatsoever.
that's bullshit if you have a phone, that is the ONLY thing that fucking breaks on my devices and I have had 4 break in 6 years.

Even slight torsion on the plug when it's plugged in can fuck up the internal contacts. You might just be lucky, but more likely you're just full of shit or have selective memory.
>>
>>51771364
>Also, you better don't carry it in your pants' pocket, because it can shrink your sack.
kek, I remember this from 2008
>>
File: 2015-11-24 14.06.34.jpg (2 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-24 14.06.34.jpg
2 MB, 4160x2340
>>51771333
Why not?

(posting on a note5 that is currently sitting on the wireless charger)

Sure you can't pick it up and start playing a game or some shit, but you can reply to texts, web browse, etc just fine.
>>
>>51771374
Either you're buying shit phones or you are doing something terribly wrong.
>>
>>51771406
I work in cellphone repair and besides cracked screens, USB port replacements are pretty much half of my day, every day.

Stop being retarded, in the industry it is one of the parts we replace the most.
>>
>>51771399
Can we have a video of you doing some of this stuff?
I just want to laugh at how stupid you look
>>
>>51771325
they're working on it

i wouldn't be surprised if it hit the consumer market in 5-10 years

imagine a wireless desktop setup, powered wirelessly and connected through wi-fi and bluetooth
>>
>>51771434
wireless charger sits on my desk, phone sits on charger, I look down at phone and use it normally.

If my desk was at head level, sure I can see the problem.

But my phone is literally sitting in front of me charging and I can use it just fine....

You know this phone has a stylus right...?
>>
>>51771333
>>51771399
>>51771434

Why would you use your phone indoors anyways?
Except for calls I mean.
>>
>>51771432
IMO, Sony's solution is better - on some Xperias, they have magnetic chargers. No insertion stress on the phone's board, and you can still have the phone in your hands while you charge.

Shame that we'll probably never see an Xperia Z6, thanks to their completely retarded pricing.
>>
>>51771473
...I use my phone at work to talk and do things not work related.

I spend 90% of my time indoors (at work or at home).

I honestly dont even use my phone really when I am out of the house/office besides for music...
>>
>>51771459
You know you could just plug the cable into your phone like a human with average IQ would do?
It would charge faster, it wouldn't be way easier to use and you wouldn't look like a retard
>>
>>51771502
Of course I could, but why would I want to put stress on the USB port if I dont have to?

It works just fine on the wireless charger, and samsung gave me the wireless charger for free, might as well use it. This way the phone still charges, and I know for a fact the USB connection isn't getting damaged or worn out by doing this.

Sure it isn't needed, but it's nice to have, and it works just fine in my workflow. If you dont have the luxury of being at a desk for most of the day, sure I can see a wireless charging being pointless for you, but for me it makes perfect sense. I dont need my phone charged in 80 minutes (the wired charging time). The 3 hours it takes to wirelessly charge is fine by me.
>>
>>51771502
>>51771529

Or you could:
- Pick up the phone.
- Do whatever you need to do.
- Place it back on the charging pad when you're done.
>>
>>51771562
yup, for anything more than a quick reply to a text or whatever I will just pick it up then put it back down when done.
>>
>>51771562
Wouldn't that fuck up the battery?
>>
>>51771488
>plastic phone
>ewwww why is it made out of recycled condoms, bad quality bla bla

>metal phone
>ewwww why is it ao expensive, cant afford it, for that price i can buy apple, buhuhu

Fuck logic
>>
>>51771580
Why would it?
>>
>>51771262
Well to be fair, you can leave your loading station plugged in 24, you cannot do the same for your phone.
>>
It's perfect for those that work in an office. Enables me to answer text messages without the clumsiness of having a wire attached. I pick it up, text away, put it back down and its fully charged well before the end of the day.
>>
>>51771502
But alas I have above average IQ.
>>
>>51771580
not really, its why quick charging isn't a significant drain on battery lifetime any more, there are regulating circuits that make sure it doesn't damage the battery when charging.

It MIGHT cause slightly faster battery degradation in the order of a handful of percentage points, but even that I doubt.

Not like it isn't just a $40 ordeal to switch batteries either.
>>
>>51771399
I'd like to see you hang over your phone while watching a video.

You also seem to be forgetting that OP's pic related doesn't have a way to charge with a cable.
>>
>>51771306
>Its a fucking gimmick feature that was brought to market just because it looks interesting.
confirmed for never having used a wireless charger

it's a godsend desu, I haven't plugged a usb cable in my phone for months now
>>
>>51771613
If I am watching a video or something I just pick it up and watch the video, or I place the charger on it's side and lean the phone up against it.

I never said I use my phone all the time when it's charging wirelessly. It's fucking wireless I can just pick it up and place it back down at any time and it continues to charge.
>>
>>51771589
>for that price i can buy apple
That's exactly the issue with Xperia phones.

I love mine but damn, no wonder these don't sell like pancakes.
>>
>>51771434

Do you ever pick up your phone to do things? Yes? Then laugh at yourself for looking as stupid as him.
>>
>>51771608
yup, office environment is the perfect place for a wireless charger.

I have one at my work desk and my home desk. So if I am at a computer, my phone is charging wirelessly.
>>
>>51771638
But once you're home it is assumed the battery is near dead, meaning you would have to decide between charging and watching.
I can see the potential of just laying down your phone, but having the possibility to stick a cable in it and do whatever is a must.
>>
>>51771668
>But once you're home it is assumed the battery is near dead
No, no it isn't because my desk at work has a wireless charger and has been keeping my phone at 100% all day. It's only at ~85-90% when I get home.
>>
>>51771632
>it's a godsend desu, I haven't plugged a usb cable in my phone for months now
Imagine Apple's next iphone will have no port, just wireless charging and data transfer via cloud or wifi, you'll say it's dumb then though.
>>
>>51771686
but no android phone does that, they all have micro USB as well so why the fuck even bring that up? Of course it'd be retarded not to have any usb or lighting or whatever for wired connections.
>>
>>51771698
>but no android phone does that
Yet.
>>
>>51771704
go ahead and repost when that day comes I guess, I know you'll still fucking be here.
>>
>>51771364
>>51771395
tfw this is one of the main reasons why I dont have a phone. seriously its not like i dont have a phone because I have no friends and i am all alone.
>>
Tesla had wireless towers that could power things for up to a mile... and that was decades ago.
>>
File: 71q+qJvuFZL._SL1500_.jpg (82 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
71q+qJvuFZL._SL1500_.jpg
82 KB, 1500x1000
Hey guys. Don't mind me, I'll just be over here enjoying my full speed charging and comfortable viewing angle.
>>
>>51771746
Yes because wireless charging cradles simply dont exist.../s
>>
>>51771399
Nice dubs Australia
>>
File: 1447332025846.gif (1 MB, 280x210) Image search: [Google]
1447332025846.gif
1 MB, 280x210
>>51771451
>wifi
>desktop
>>
>>51771285
Google had wireless charging on nexus phones to reduce the wear on micro USB ports. They now utilize quick charging and a better designed port that is objectively more sturdy and less likely to wear due to friction pins or locking mechanism.

Wireless charging is the past, its already gone.
>>
>>51772013
Market says otherwise, it's quickly becoming a standard feature in flagships, i'd expect the trend to continue into 2016.
>>
>>51771306
>never in 20 years have i worn out any plug
your gf/wife/bf? feels the same
>>
USB Type C with quick charge is better.
>>
>>51772286
Okay? Nothing would stop you from having both USB C and wireless charging which would be even better.
>>
>>51772013
i won't ever buy a phone without wireless charging
>>
Why can't I plug in my phone AND use this gimmick thingy at the same time?
>>
>>51771306
this pretty much, I had the wireless charching dock for my nexus 4 and use it only a couple of times, it was much slower than just usb.
I have sold that this the same week.

Now using the magnitic dock for my z3c almost the same as wireless charging but with usb speed.
>>
>>51773041
>it was much slower than just usb.
older tech idiot, current phones like the Note5 can charge wirelessly in 120 minutes wirelessly, vs 80 minutes wired.

Wired is still faster, but 120 minutes is quick as fuck for wireless.
>>
>>51771262
Could be pretty cool, whenever I'm at my desk I always have the phone on the same spot, having a charging pad there would keep it charged and I wouldn't have to fuck around with the cable whenever I want to pick it up to use it.

It would be a minor thing, of course, it's not like this is some revolution in usefulness.
>>
>>51771285
This, plus fumbling with connectors at night can be a pain.
>>
>>51771451
>imagine a wireless desktop setup, powered wirelessly and connected through wi-fi and bluetooth
It doesn't sound any more useful than a wired desktop setup.
>>
>>51773148

This and as many others have said.

What's wrong with the option of wireless charging? I'm moving around all day but I always come back to my desk and my phone sits in the same spot. It's much nicer for me to just have it start charging than to remember and fiddle about with the plug.
>>
>>51771810
It's not wireless, there are contacts on the side of the phone, thus it can charge just as fast as plugging in a USB cable.
>>
>>51775445
I never said it was, I'm just saying you can get a wireless charger that lets your phone stand up like that too.

Also, who cares if it is wired charging vs wireless? Either way it's on a dock and i'm not moving it. Sure the increased charging speed is a bonus, but I can a standard cradle/dock and plug it in if I wanted that.
>>
>>51775486
The viewing angle wasn't my main point, but whatever.

>Sure the increased charging speed is a bonus, but I can a standard cradle/dock and plug it in if I wanted that.
The point is, just like wireless charging, using the dock means you don't have to plug shit in. I can put it in and remove it one handed, or even whilst drunk with no risk of snapping the USB connector.
>>
>>51775623
same with wireless charging, and samsung phones have fast wireless charging as well.

Again, sure it's a bit nice, but it's hardly a big deal being able to charge it in an 80-100 mins vs 120-150 mins wirelessly.
>>
>>51771306
Some day the wireless tech will catch up. But you'll probably have to buy a new phone, haha.
>>
>>51775643
Faster is better, you can't argue with that. I'm not saying it's massively better, but it is better.
>>
>>51771262

When can smartphones stop being gimmicky?
They're constantly putting useless shit in to inflate the cost and coax me into buying a new one every six months. And somehow all the new shit is an active detriment.
>>
>>51771262
I have S5 and openning up USB port and then closing it down is annoying. SO I got this 5mm thick monster Samsung sells as a charging backplate and this thing sucks.
Sure it's sometimes nice to drop my phone on a charging station and be done with it, but it's wonky as hell.
Useful in cars and such though, just put it in a holder and just drive.
>>
>>51771262
Great for in car, just set the phone on a stand and it's charging and you can use it.

>>51771306
>Wireless charging is slower.
No shit, if you need it charged fast plug it in.

>>51771333
Yes you can.

>>51771434
>What is a standup charger

>>51771502
>You like something I don't like that makes you an idiot.

I have a wireless charger next to my bed and in my car. Charges quickly enough for me, I just pick it up off the charger to do whatever, set it back down. Starts charging again.

I'm driving I just set the phone on the dash and it charges just fine and is in convenient reach for navigation or audio whatever.

Jesus fuck /g/, I didn't realize school got out this early.
>>
>>51771285
>wear on phone USB connectors
how?
>>
>>51776020
plug in your phone, now unplug it, now do this ~1,500 times in a row to simulate 6-12 months of charging.

Add in the occasional accidental yank while it's plugged in, or falling off the table while plugged in, little things like that, and it's no surprise the USB port fails.
>>
>>51773463
imagine you had a computer plugged in one place, but then desire to move it someplace else that doesnt have the proper wired connection, asshole
>>
>>51776020
Inserting and removing wears out the port, most of the wear is taken by the cable, but the port still has a finite number of insert/remove cycles
>>51771306
>Never in 20 years of working with computers have I worn out any plug whatsoever.
Guess you never had to disconnect your stuff
>>51771746
Unfortunately docks are pretty much dead nowadays, and they are compatible only with the phone they're designed to work with
>>
>>51771262
i no rite, i no longer have to deal with damaging my usb ports over time by plugging/unplugging constantly... matter of fact, i got a lifeproof case for my s6 and havent even compromised the gasket ONCE to charge it, its fucking great and about time
>>
>>51776089
Where the fuck would I move a desktop computer and not have access to a power socket? Why the fuck does it need wireless power?
>>
>>51771262
the first thing I do after entering the house is to remove wallet and my phone. I always put it in the same place and now there is a charge mat there.
only pick it up then someone is calling or I’m leaving the house anyway.

So, when I buy a phone - these without wireless charging build in might as well not exist.
>>
>>51771330
underrated post
>>
>>51771374
What are you a fucking ape? Just be less clumsy with your phone.
>>
>>51776198
>i got a lifeproof case for my s6

Why do they call it "life proof"? Isn't "clumsy idiot proof" more accurate?

I'm alive and my phone works great after four years. What is wrong with you people?
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.