[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Raspberry pi B+ Operating system
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (166 KB, 1200x659) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
166 KB, 1200x659
Which is best?

Raspbian jessie lite is full of broken packages complied for other arm architectures and holy fuck do i hate dhcpd5.

I dont have that much linux experience and mostly just want to try things out.
>>
windows vista
>>
Arch is preeety good.
>>
>>51770541
Gentoo.
>>
i hear ubuntu mate is the most popular if you are gonna actually use it as a desktop.

otherwise arch if you will just ssh into, it's pretty good for me.
>>
>>51770541
Tiny core.
>>
>>51770763
Pfft, XFCE is much better
>>
>>51770763
oh wait, just read the title, don't think mate will work with that non-2 version.

oh well
>>
>>51770541
Just grab their newbs image. It's raspbian (their debain port). It's the easiest way to get started with it.
>>
>>51770809
Im not that much of a beginner.

>>51770763
>>51770686
I forgotten about arch, im gonna go with that.

I intend to run it as a server.
>>
I'm not into the Pi stuff, i only have a Cubieboard, so can someone explain me what is the difference between Raspian and a normal debian install? Can't the Pi run Debian armhf?
>>
>>51770904
>Im not that much of a beginner.

why are you posting on /g/ then
>>
>>51770975
CPU architectures. Normal debian install are compiled for x86. no the pi cant run armhf because its architecture is armv7. not all arm processors use the same architecture
>>
>>51771066
i think armv7 *is* armhf, as that stands for ARM hard-float. Does the pi not support floats natively and is armel? Debian is avaible for shitton of architectures, like how my cubieboard runs it on a Cortex-A9 or A7 or some of these, i forgot
>>
>>51770541
Can i run a CS 1.6 server on one of these? I know you can't play it or even use steam on them cause they're native x86 but a no steam server could work.
>>
>>51771117

https://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianFAQ

It explains it.

Basically, the original pi used a shitty old ARM core that did support hard float, but the Debian port for that supported that core didn't.
>>
>>51771117
Apparently the last sentence was wrong, it runs on AllWinner A20 processor, which is indeed arm v7 . v6 does not support floats, thats why its armel, and v7 is armhf. 64 bit nextgen arm processors are called arm64. These names may be confusing, like how intel 64 bit processirs are amd64
>>
>>51771224
Oh, thanks. So it was made for armv6, but after the pi became armv7 they did not want to kill the project because of it.. then why not use normal debian >>51770541 ?
>>
>>51771227
>ike how intel 64 bit processirs are amd64
Yeah, but that was because the community was pissed at Intel. Both AMD and Intel were working on x86 64 extensions, and AMD released first. A few months later, Intel releases, and basically demands the vendor's and community refer to all x86 64 bit extensions as Intel E64 (or something like that). Intel was told to shove it.
>>
>>51771214
HLDS is also native x86
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.