[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should you just use a tablet instead of a laptop for university
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2
File: college.jpg (167 KB, 900x695) Image search: [Google]
college.jpg
167 KB, 900x695
Should you just use a tablet instead of a laptop for university if there are computer labs for every major?
>>
I do, and it works fine for me
>>
>>51770301
What is your major?
>>
>>51770277
I never had to use a laptop on campus. I carried a tablet to pass time between classes and use my desktop at home.
>>
>>51770301
>>51770338
What about labs/group projects? Don't you need a laptop to work with everyone else?
>>
>>51770346
No. I always work alone if it's allowed. I don't like trusting others with my grade. Otherwise, I find someone who is willing to do everything completely online. I've had 5 project partners and don't know what any of them look like.
>>
>>51770362
You must not be engineering.
>>
>>51770277
Nah, get a 12"-12.5" laptop.
>>
>>51770738
Nice meme major.
>>
>>51770277
Laptop is better for note taking, unless you have a tablet that comes with a stylus, Note series for example.

But really though, pen and paper is truly superior. Only problem is when you're a slow writer.
>>
>>51770329
Civil engineering
>>
>>51770873
y tho
>>
>>51770362
>What is team work
>What are social skills development
>What is leadership

You will end up as a code monkey or an online lab rat doing shitty research for PhD students, great future.
>>
My uni requires a tablet for engineering. You can also get a laptop and a writing tablet, but that's really dumb.

The Surface Pros (with decent specs) are really good, and meet my requirements. I wish I was spergy enough to lug around my mechanical keyboard though.
>>
>>51770894
Because they are portable, bigger than a tablet and gets job done, they have pretty good battery life too. I just have a small backpad for a small moleskin black notebook and my laptop, feels good.
>>
>>51770917
>requires tablet for engineering
>tfw my uni doesnt require owning a computer
>tfw I study compsci
Most compsci is just pen and paper desu, you just need to code a bit in the computer labs
>>
I use a tablet for notes, looking shit up during lectures and browsing 4chan when I'm bored. Works for me.

The few times we did group assignments that required a laptop I either asked one of the other guys to bring his or brought my own massive 18" monster (buying that was a mistake but oh well).
>>
>>51770952
Most of our shit is also pencil and paper, and I much prefer taking notes with pencil and paper. We have assignments and shit we need the tablets with writing capability to do though. I really like the Surface Pro 3 actually, wasn't a big fan of hybrid tablets or tablets in general before now. I don't think I would replace my desktop as my daily driver just yet though.
>>
>>51770888
>slow writer
more like 120wpm on my dankpad.
Please write 120wpm with pen and paper.
>>51770917
Thinkpad tablets are superior. (x230 Tablet here)

To OPs question:
Why? Is it that hard to carry around a 3 pound laptop?
I don't get the tablet hype at all. I have an Asus t100ta I got like 2 years back because "LEL CONVERTIBLE" - which I used as a 10" laptop most of the time. Keyboard tiny, takes a shitton of time to charge the battery - BUT it truly has 10hrs of battery life. Also has a ton of (hardware) bugs though, so I only sometimes use it as a tablet for the memes, otherwise it stays in a drawer.
Since I got a Thinkpad (as in: acceptable laptop, not consumer shit), I use it all day erryday when not at my pc table at home.
>>
>>51771004
>x230 Tablet

I've used one, and it's not bad. Too bulky and expensive though.

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=A3E71B4BBE25C114!107&app=Excel&authkey=!AAO1lowxloMJjhM

These are what I'm allowed.
>>
>>51771069
>expensive
lelwhat? I paid 400 dollarydoos for mine.
>bulky
it's a laptop, not a shitty tablet.
>>
>>51770889
may nigga
you need a Cad capable machine,better for running design software like staad/etabs. I cheaped out in collage and suffered for it
>>
>>51771083
>400
what are your specs?
>>
>>51771083
that's expensive. and yes they're bulky. poo in loo kuckboy
>>
>>51771092
I have that at school/work... at home i have my linux machine and have some time off from autocad
>>
>>51771114
i5-3320m
2x4gb ram
250gb 850 EVO ssd
backlit keyboard (lel le swiss layout)
pristine condition

>>51771120
>400$
>expensive
>has mechanical keyboard and praises surface pro
lyl
>>
>>51771132
>not using SolidWorks like every company does too
>>
>tfw labs are running arch linux
bleh
>>
>>51771176
>thinkpad
>mechanical keyboard

You're retarded.
>>
>>51772056
I was referring to >>51770917 , which probably was the guy with the "400$ is expensive" reply, that said he likes surface pros and mech keyboards.
Of course Thinkpads don't have mech kbs, but to a person using surface pros and mech kbs, 400$ shouldn't be a lot.
>>
>>51772077
$400 is a lot of money just in general
>>
>>51772085
>400$ is a lot of money
maybe in your third world country.
In Switzerland, a burgerflipper earns 4000CHF (about 4000USD) + per month. A fucking burgerflipper.
I graduated uni a year ago with okay grades, and I have a fucking 98k/yr salary.
>>
>>51772104
That's because you live in Switzerland and it's rated as one of the top countries in the world and also has a high cost of living.
>>
>>51772104
> my country is more expensive than yours
> therefore you are third world
>>>/int/ is that way
>>
>>51772134
I pay 1.5k monthly for my 3 1/2 room apartment. Everything included (electricity, water, internet, oil) it's like 2k.
I eat like 10-20$ worth of food each day, so 300-600$ a month. Let's just say 500 as an average.
My car (BMW 550i GT) costs 70$/month for parking space, 1500 yearly, so 125 monthly for insurance, about 250 monthly for gas, and at this point I'd say about 100 monthly for maintenance.
That totals in 545/monthly for my car.
Health insurance is 200/month
Taxes are like 1/13th of my yearly salary, so 625 monthly.

2000 + 500 + 545 + 200 + 625 = 3870.-/month expenses.
Means I have 4300 bucks to spend/save each month.
Jelly?
"hurr durr high cost of living"
lyl
>>
>>51770902
To be fair, I had to do about 6 group projects during my studies (chemistry) and every time I got stuck with a bunch of retards who could probably barely spell their own name.
Ended with me basically trashing their contribution and re-doing it from scratch because I didn't feel like getting a bad grade because of some cockmonglers.

>TEAM
>Toll, Ein Anderer Machts
>>
>>51772250
cost of living in the USA is like $500-$1000 a month. understanding that you live in a country with high cost of living and therefore have to make more just to survive is common sense. this faggot has such a stick up his ass.
>>
>>51770277
last semester i did exactly that with a 32gb hp touchpad running android with a bluetooth keyboard case. it was really convenient especially since i had all of my text books in ebook format on the touchpad. unfortunately, it has decided to stop booting, won't charge, nor power on... so i bought a laptop. eh. it's pretty nice.
>>
>>51772291
Taxes included? I guess no.
Also, you don't NEED a car in switzerland, a full 24/7 public transport pass is 3000/yr.
You can live in a 1 room apartment, which is like 1300 total monthly.
You can easily live off 5$/day of food, so 150/month
Health insurance (to the level it is in switzerland, as in total coverage) included? I guess not.
If you calculate all those facts, monthly expenses are:

1300 (rent) + 150 (food) + 250 (public transport) = 1700/month.
What's your minimum wage again? something like 8$?
Here we don't have a minimum wage, but as I said, you get like 20-25$/hr burgerflipping.
1700/2 = 850, so I guess at the same level as the usa, scaled to your wage. But then again, you have double the money left over to spend on random shit. : ^ )
stay mad
>>
>>51772344
>you get $20-$25 burgerflipping
and that's because you have a very high cost of living. Nobody in the USA that doesn't live in SF or NY pays $1300 a month for a 1 bedroom.
>>
>>51772402
Yeah, but it scales.
Say you earn 2000 in Murrica, and have a cost of living of 900$.
Then you earn 4000 in Switzerland, with a cost of living of 1800$.
In Murrica, you have 1100 left over, in Switzerland, you have 2200 left over.
Simple math.
And other than food, housing, and all that location-related stuff, everything is about the same price, or about 10-20% more expensive than murrica here.
>>
>>51772174
you mean
>>>/pol/
>>
>>51772445
... wow dude you need to go take an econ class.

You pay more in your country for everything. It is definitely not nearly the price it is here, guaranteed.
>>
>>51772471
digitec.ch
Biggest swiss electronics retailer.
Check the prices.
Yes, some things are ridiculously expensive compared to murrca, but keep in mind you can import. And for most products it isn't even that way anyways.
>>
>>51770277
I saw a few people with tablets, and they'd login to their school virtual desktop account from it if they had to do anything intensive right then and there.
You could do it, especially if you had a little keyboard for whatever times you needed to type.
Still, life's a bit simpler with a laptop. General internet use and looking shit up is nicer on a laptop by far.

also, coding (most coding you might do for class, especially earlier on, will not need a monster of a machine at all, you could literally get by with something with raspi-tier performance), but a faster laptop is nicer to use as a rule

>>51772291
>$500/mo
where the hell is this and where can I sign up?
shit's closer to $1000/mo here (I live in FL though)

>>51770978
>The few times we did group assignments that required a laptop I either asked one of the other guys to bring his
I actually carried a second laptop (really shitty netbook that was held together with duct-tape, the hinge is 100% duct-tape, it was a cheap ($250) Acer piece of shit, used to be my main laptop), helped out a bit with people like you.
and it was pretty light, so it's not like it was any strain, I think both laptops totaled to like 5 pounds tops
mostly carried it because it was a couple hours more battery for when I couldn't get to a power outlet with my normal laptop, primarily carry it these days out of sheer habit since I don't have a big power-sucking laptop anymore

>>51771004
>Why? Is it that hard to carry around a 3 pound laptop?
usually, no
if you carry around a bunch of other shit, that 3 pounds does get noticeable
>>
>>51770902
I'm starting at Google after I graduate next semester. Thanks for the advice though.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.