[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am about to graduate with a BS in Computer Science. I passed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: cap.jpg (21 KB, 450x335) Image search: [Google]
cap.jpg
21 KB, 450x335
I am about to graduate with a BS in Computer Science. I passed my CS classes with almost a 4.0 and did alright in everything else except that chem class from hell. I feel like I know nothing. Absolutely nothing. Math. A little bit of code.. More math.. A little bit of code.. A FUCKING ASS LOAD OF MATH.. Is this normal for graduating from a tech related major. What should I know?

Anyone got any experiences with this shit?
>>
>>51768909
Where do you work / what hobby projects do you have?
>>
>>51768920
I work web dev in a program called MIPS. It is a grant my school has that allows us to work with a company on a project. Just ended up being web dev (Symfony Framework). My hobbies before the semester went full ass kick tends to be messing with parallel computation, and I was messing with making an audio stream application in java with a friend (Complete fucking mess).
>>
>>51768909
I know what you mean. You don't really learn programming until you do it in your free time or have a side job. They are just teaching the base, and what you make from it is your duty.
>>
>>51768909
>I am about to graduate with a BS in Computer Science
> did alright in everything else except that chem class

Is American college just an extension of high school and you still do twenty different subjects?
>>
school doesn't teach you how to do things

school teaches you how to learn to do things
>>
>>51768995
>school teaches you how to learn

No it doesn't.
>>
>>51768973
not 20, but yes, our secondary education still strongly leans towards "renaissance man"-style study
>>
>>51769004
it teaches the concept of solving problems
>>
>>51768973
It's strongly influenced by the university.
In my university (not OP), the libarts college is strong, so STEM majors have about 1/3 of their classes as general education.
>>
>>51768973
Somewhat yeah, you do get to focus more on your own subject but you still have to do material from other subjects. You also grow up a little and realize how everything is connected so it doesn't hurt to have a little background knowledge in other subjects.
>>
>>51768973
You need your GEP classes and in my curriculum they decided to add in some upper level sciences. Took two bio and one chem.
>>
>>51769018
>"renaissance man"

Don't debase this term so, anon. Even with air quotes it's still unacceptable to use it.
>>
>>51769004

Yes it does... They guide you in the right direction but it's what you make of it really.
>>
Reading what you guys are saying about "teaches you to learn" vs "No it is just bullshit" is something I really think about being at this point. I wish that I was taught something well a lot of the time more than just splashing around in the kitty pool. We can never focus on something for too long.
>>
>>51769066
>We
You mean you.
>>
>>51769100
I say we mostly just because I got this group of guys I have worked with for the last year and this is what we talk about sometimes. Cause we roll around in our own shit in this place.
>>
>tech related major
Computer science is about how to do things.
If you wanted to get something more practical then you should search for engineering rather than science
>>
>>51768909
Computer science is a field of math.
Finite algebra, set theory and shit.
>>
>>51769120
Nobody hires us because we read that chapter in COSC 101. They hire us because we can make a product. Places like IBM will fish for us and throw us in a low paying starting position and hope to god they can actually teach us what I feel like I should know now. I have just heard this.. "To solve a problem in a finite unambiguous fashion" so many times.. That now.. That means nothing to me lol.
>>
>>51769156
Linear Algebra has its uses... sometimes lol..
>>
I'm a CS major roflmaooo
>>
>>51769036
tell me right now that isn't the concept education boards have in mind when determining required curriculum. just because it's generally a failure of a model doesn't mean it's not a model.
>>
>>51768909 (OP)
1st you need math, don't be a dumb code monkey
2nd aside your studies, you should have had a ton of internships and sideprojects, even if it meant failing a few classes and prolonging your studies

I'm 25, still don't have my BS, it's my 2nd attempt at college now. I spent 1 year abroad as a consultant, 1 year as a Java dev, 2 years as a .NET dev in a huge enterprise. Now I'm running my own software house and trying to write my final thesis.

College is great for getting the hang of shit, expanding your professional network, but don't fool yourself thinking good grades without any real world experience will land you a job.
>>
>>51768909
>>51768952
>"I work web dev in a program called MIPS"
>web dev
>in MIPS
-1/10 Terrible bait.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.