[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that OS X is open source, can we say that linux and Wind
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: topic-os-x-el-capitan-logo.jpg (56 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
topic-os-x-el-capitan-logo.jpg
56 KB, 800x800
Now that OS X is open source, can we say that linux and Windows are kill???

https://opensource.apple.com
>>
>>51768092
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
>>
>>51768092
If you have to start a thread asking of something is gonna be out forever, then there are two answers.

>No
>No, you're fucking retarded
>>
File: Laughing-Frog-Meme-07.jpg (25 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
Laughing-Frog-Meme-07.jpg
25 KB, 400x386
>>51768092
Wow OP, you made my morning.
Ofc not you silly tool.
>>
someone is fucking dumb
>OP
>>
"ugh, op you idiot. os x isnt REALLY open source because they aren't using a special snowflake license that i personally identify with and futhermo-(room starts filling up with really stinky piss, like when you eat asparagus)"
>>
ITT: NEET's who's parents wont buy them an apple product so they reject it and justify their hate with the scorn of those wrapped in envy.
>>
>>51768175
>>51768191
sorry, OP here.

yes, I'm confirmed for faggot who can't read. :) It's not open source, they just released their open source components.

my bad, ignore thread
>>
>>51768210
if you were autistic enough, or maybe just a clever enough NEET, you could take BSD, and integrate those OSS components to roll your own distribution of a true hackintosh OS.

Anybody up for the job?
>>
>>51768242
No, that sounds like a lot of work
>>
>>51768256
for you, neet. yeah, anything more than solving captchas is probably gonna be too much work
>>
>>51768242
Linux with GNUStep is sort of like OSX minus XNU, CoreServices and Carbon compatibility. Its more trouble than its worth currently when you can build a cheap hackintosh or buy a Mac mini.
>>
>>51768305
GNUstep's made leaving OS X much easier
>>
you idiots.

OSX's core, Darwin, is (was) opensource. The projects died. look up OpenDarwin and PureDarwin.

Both are basically BSD. Can run X ... which means OpenStep.

I wrote to RMS last week asking his opinion on Apple claiming to be "Open Source"

It took him a while to reply because he apparently doesn't directly connect to the internet but has a daemon that downloads his emails in batches to save time.

---

> "As the first major computer company to make Open Source development a
> key part of its ongoing software strategy, Apple remains committed to
> the Open Source development model."

"Committed to" is clealy a iie, since Apple's core software incoudes
plenty of nonfree software, that isn't open source either,

However, I think the most harmful idea here is the focus on
a "development model", which serves to distract people from
the ethical issues of free/libre software.
>>
File: 1410205354749.jpg (14 KB, 235x195) Image search: [Google]
1410205354749.jpg
14 KB, 235x195
>>51768354
>It took him a while to reply because he apparently doesn't directly connect to the internet but has a daemon that downloads his emails in batches to save time.
What the fuck is his problem
>>
>>51768210
I've owned iphones and have used my mums imac a bunch of times.
Apples products are just shit for their price. If they were 2/3 the cost they would actually be pretty gud.

Of course, nothing can fix OS X. Utter trash.
>>
>>51768377
He spends most of his time offline. He downloads all his unread emails, spends a few days composing replies offline, then sends them all the next time he connects to the Internet and repeat.
>>
File: 1447836036571.jpg (139 KB, 1083x720) Image search: [Google]
1447836036571.jpg
139 KB, 1083x720
>>51768092
>eating shit from your hands is now open sores
>>
>>51768402
>He spends most of his time offline
But why
>>
>>51768411
Dude, I'm from croatia.. I don't buy Apple, it's too fucking expensive here. But I do use hackintosh though, since the OS is great.
>>
>>51768305
carbon is kill. cocoa is much better anyway. .NET fags will never understand
>>
>>51768354
>"Committed to" is clealy a iie, since Apple's core software incoudes
>plenty of nonfree software, that isn't open source either,
>However, I think the most harmful idea here is the focus on
>a "development model", which serves to distract people from
>the ethical issues of free/libre software.

i bet he's also HAES. he has turned bikeshedding into a kitch art
>>
>>51768547
2 expensive if you don't buy it on company's name and get tax refund.
I'm also from Croatia, and I'm buying mac soon
>>
old bait, youre a fag, get the fuck out
>>
>>51768092
>Niggers
>having opinion
>>
>>51768242
>Anybody up for the job?
I'll make the logo.
>>
>>51768210
Nice projection you got there faggot.
>>
>>51768422
To limit his exposure to the botnet of course.
>>
>>51768092
op you poor retard
>>
>>51768092
>Now
you may want to sit this one out
>>
No, because it's a shitty OS to use with an even shittier file system.
>>
>>51768354

First major company to be committed to open source?

Oh please.

IBM put just under a billion dollars into Linux.
>>
>>51768092
Even if I install this shit on virtual machine for fun, I won't buy a mac. I don't pay *3 price for the hardware just because of the installed software and the logo on it.
>>
>>51768726
But the issue of free software as a social phenomenon versus open source as a development model is real.

People who only believe in the open source development model and don't care about freedom tend to be pragmatic and make compromises regarding the use/inclusion of proprietary software. RMS wants to make all software free, which is why he looks down on compromise and why the GPL is designed to make sure that people who make use of free source code need to contribute their changes back to the community.
>>
>>51772131
>Even if I install this shit on virtual machine for fun, I won't buy a mac
You make no sense, 12 year old
>>
>>51772377
yeah lets make video game software free so duping and aimbots are built in for everyone to use.
>>
>>51773888
>literally MUH GAEMS
try harder
>>
>>51768092
I've seen this bait way too many times. The open-source components of OS X have been out for years. This isn't new. Most components that make OS X what it is (like the GUI) will never be open-source. You can't build your own version of OS X or even run this 'open-source OS X' in a VM. Sure, you'll be able to run Darwin, but that's as far as you'll get. You won't be able to run OS X programs either.
>>
>>51774547
>You won't be able to run OS X programs either.
You can with GNUstep and a recompile
>>
>>51774598
Well, you're actually right about that. I suppose what I was trying to say was that you could build Linux from scratch and be able to download a program's binary and run without a recompile.
>>
>>51773888
> making it free? oh noes, then aimbots might happen
http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/quake-cheats.html
At the bottom, it notes that aimbots had happened for Quake anyway - only proving the point.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.