[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pleb keyboards
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2
File: k30_us_a_red.png (132 KB, 800x540) Image search: [Google]
k30_us_a_red.png
132 KB, 800x540
My brother want's new membrane keyboard. What's a good one for <$80?
>>
Microsoft Natural Elite.
>>
> $80 budget for a membrane keyboard
Why?
>>
Why does he want a membrane? You can get mechanicals for that budget.
>>
>>51765731
V7 CK0A1-4E2P 10$
Cherry Lunde 2 20$
Cougar 200K 30$
>>
>>51765731
Picked up the k30 for $35 on black friday, what do you want to know?
>>
>>51765853
Because he's a millennial
>>
>>51765911
Do your part and educate him. I've never met a single person that liked membrane keyboards after trying a mechanical. Even my technologically inept grandmother owns a keyboard with blue switches. I gave mine to her when her shitty chiclet one gave out and she still, to this day, tells me how much she likes it because of how crisp and clicky it is.

Even my GRANDMOTHER doesn't tolerate that membrane bullshit anymore. Fuck your brother.
>>
>>51765731
afaik the best non-mechanical you can buy is the Apple keyboard. It's got scissor switches though, not membrane
>>
he doesn't like the noise
>>
>>51765731
>want's
The pleb is right there.

Besides, there are membrane keyboards that are decent to type on, such as most IBM/Lenovo-branded or even many Dell-branded keyboards.
>>
>>51766554
*non-chiclet models, of course. The recent ones do suck for apparent reasons.
>>
why even buy a 80$ membrane keyboard then? go to a fucking thrift shop and grab some shitty old keyboard that's been sitting in some old dudes mothers basement for a decade with some dog shit on it or some other crap
>>
>>51766068
scissors are membrane, you dingus
>>51766579
shape of the keycaps doesn't matter. it's the underlying mechanism that determines how a keyboard is going to feel.
>>
>>51766347
I have a mechanical with clear switches that's barely louder than my old membrane. browns and reds are also quiet, even quieter with 0-rings.
>>
Just get him a K120, ya pleb, it's like 10$, pocket the rest
>>
>>51768407
This, the only few membrane worth buying
>>
I got a k30 Works well. Mechanicals are for loners with no one else in their house (bedroom at their parents?)
>>
>>51765731
Just pick anything that seems to have a half decent build quality and whichever media/macro buttons/LEDs your brother might want.

the only membranes that I've used that have stood out to me are my x230 (by far the best laptop keyboard I have ever touched) and the plastic apple keyboards (absolute garbage that I nearly destroyed my wrists on).

most usb membrane keyboards aren't particularly well distinguished from one another.

If noise is the main issue, I'd join the other anons in recommending one of the quieter cherry mx switches.
>>
>>51765731
IBM Model M is a fantastic used keyboard.
>>
>>51768407
The K200 is nice too. It's a step up with the multimedia keys.
>>
>>51765731
Then lie to him and get him a mechanical keyboard with cherry MX brown or one of the other variants that doens't click.
>>
>>51768407
K120 is durable as fuck. Just get that one, op.
>>
>not M E C H A N I C A L
Fuck you, OP. Get him a nice Cherry MX Brown keyboard, and if he complains, get the ungrateful bastard O-rings.
>>
File: angry.jpg (35 KB, 386x606) Image search: [Google]
angry.jpg
35 KB, 386x606
>>51770148
>mechanical is the only option
Fuck off, tripfag.
>>
>>51770174
>I am poor and can't afford more than the Walmart off brand keyboard.
>>
>>51770305
>having to spend too much money just to prove that you're not poor
I'd rather spend that 100$ on something else.
>>
Just gonna hijack this thread for a bit: I am looking for a christmas gift for my mom, is the Cherry 3.0 any good? The one with blue switches that is and all she does is typing.
>>
>>51770524
It's cheap and it's mechanical. Do it. The switched don't differ from any priced keyboard.
>>
>>51768407
This. Those fuckers are perfect if you just want a keyboard that werks.
>>
>>51770660
Will do. Thanks.
>>
http://www.amazon.com/Redragon-Backlit-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B016MBNR8M

Could this shit be decent?
>>
>>51765966
>Not using fill sized keys with membrane technology

Fuck off, you hag. Mechanical keyboards increase fatigue and are louder than membranes.

Microsoft sidewinder x4 here. Super comfy. Keys aren't as tall as I'd like them to be but still a sweet spot. Mechanical is a meme and it's literally 100% preference especially if you're using usb3.0 natively.
>>
Razer Deathstalker
>>
>>51770948
You do realize that most membrane switches have an actuation force of ~60g right? The sidewinder x4 series has been measured to be in the area of 60g as well.

By comparison cherry Red and Brown have an actuation force of ~45g, Blues are ~50g, and Clears are about ~65g.

u r an idiot
>>
>>51765966
>Even my GRANDMOTHER
Please apologize for this ageist microaggression
>>
>>51772263
I will not. Go home to tour safe space sjw. The real world is not for you.
>>
>>51772218
Actuation isn't a full keypress. You have to press harder than that to illicit full key movement, which is what most people do. People don't employ those half taps to get more key strokes
>>
>>51771010
Despite the /g/ hate for razer I'm gonna back you on this one. That was my first gaming Kb and I enjoyed it quite well. I eventually upgraded to the blackwidow that i had wanted to go with originally. Decent kb, affordable and decent build quality.
>>
>>51765731
>want's
kill yourself
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.