[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Apple won
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5
File: fugly frog.png (3 KB, 330x222) Image search: [Google]
fugly frog.png
3 KB, 330x222
Now Iphone users can block ads with a few taps, with entire teams of devs protecting their privacy.

Basically, the only reason for using Android is for customizing your home screen and a small bunch of niche poweruser functionalities, right?

What would happen if Apple releases a new update where normalfags can get pretty, diverse and radiant homescreens with a few taps too?
>>
Then good for them. I just want to use a decent phone.
>>
>>51763068
>dumb frogposter
>>
>paying not to see ads
>>
Lol, you can finally block a couple of ads
Come back when you have file system access by default, an easy way to acquire root access that doesn't involve literally running unknown code and exploiting your own device, a decent way to transfer files to and from the devices without installing bloated iTunes, and maybe if your overlord Steve Jobs is feeling generous enough, slightly acceptable build quality
>>
>>51763124

1 dollar
>>
>>51763141
wonderful bait.

>need file access for my pirated apks
>haven't needed itunes for years
>acceptable build quality seriously?

try harder. android is garbage and full of security holes and all the customization in the world isn't going to cover for the google money making os.
>>
>>51763141
>Come back when you have file system access by default
several androids don't allow this
>an easy way to acquire root access that doesn't involve literally running unknown code and exploiting your own device
uh this is literally every android phone
>a decent way to transfer files to and from the devices without installing bloated iTunes
iExplorer does this.
>>
>>51763171
I pay 0 dolars not to see ads with adaway.
>>51763068
Kill yourself.
>>
>>51763287
>iExplorer
Looks good but it's paid.
>>
>>51763123
>>51763334
stay mad android kucks
>>
>>51763068
But I don't see any ads on my droid, am I doing something wrong?
>>
I stopped using adblock on my android because the app was visible in the notification area.

I know I could just download a massive list of ad hosting servers and put them in my hosts file but the only site I browse that has enough ads to cripple my mobile browsing experience is XDA.

Last week I ordered then cancelled an iphone 6s plus because I don't own any other apple products and would miss 360 pictures/videos too much.

>>51763068
>if apple allows homescreen customization
This won't happen.
>android is for niche poweruser functionalities
Yes and you don't need to pay $100 to put an app in the play store.
>>
>>51763246
Sry i cant hear you over the fappening pics and the backdoored jailbroken iphones. What were you saying?
>>
>>51765874
s/backdoored jailbroken iphones/backdoored iphones

https://pentest.com/ios_backdoors_attack_points_surveillance_mechanisms.pdf
>>
>>51763068
Android can block ads too. The only problem is you need to root which can be a pain in the ass for people who bought a new phone and are apprehensively that they could void their warranty
>>
>>51763068

>What would happen if Apple releases a new update where normalfags can get pretty, diverse and radiant homescreens with a few taps too?

Doubt it. Apple is pretty strict on customization. After 10.11 you could no longer change icons unless you disabled SIP. Personally all I want is app icon hiding for iOS instead of shoving everything into a group.
>>
>>51766410
You don't need root. You can install firefox add blocks and then there's the app adguard that blocks them as well.
>>
>>51766437
Not as effective as adaway which requires root
>>
>>51766471
Right but this ad blocking thing for iOS is by Firefox, and it is literally the same thing you could get in Firefox in Android for quite some time

I love my adaway
>>
>>51766487
So apples adblocking isn't as effective as adaway then?
>>
>>51766530
This isn't Apple's adblocking. It's an app from Firefox called Focus or some shit that only blocks ads on web pages.

adaway is far superior.
>>
>>51763068
>Android is for customizing your home screen and a small bunch of niche poweruser functionalities, right?

What? The appeal to Android it's strong open nature, a strong developer scene that promote poweruser apps, cheap,freedom of choice to choose the manufacturer that you like.

APK is the most widespread file format, and Android has literally ton of poweruser app featuers that don't exist on other OS yet.
>>
>>51766487
Looks like you missed the memo...

iOS 9 and El Capitan include a version of WebKit that has support for adblockers baked in at the engine level.

It uses JSON blocklists compiled down into bytecode via LLVM. This has HUGE performance implications - other adblockers block by dumping a metric fuckton of CSS rules into each page, which can often take more resources than the ads being blocked.

By contrast, the WebKit content blockers compile the JSON blocklist once and then run that bytecode as something like a regex that tells the engine what it should and shouldn't load. So not only are elements hidden and not executed, they aren't even loaded or requested in the first place.

Blockers like the new iOS ad blocker from Firefox uses iOS content blocking and is literally just a JSON blocklist with companion app that can tweak the list in a few ways.
>>
>>51764813
ifunbox is free but Android is still better.
>>
>>51767060
That's pretty fucking neato. Damn.
>>
>>51767079
The other cool thing about this method is that adblockers built with WebKit content blocking can't track you, because there's no actual code involved... just a list of shit to block.

This is all in the WebKit SVN if you go look btw, so there's nothing stopping it from being used in the GNOME browser or Midori or whatever. I have great doubts that it'll be ported to Blink/Chrome, because Google.
>>
>>51763068
>I could do all that 3 years ago on my gnex
>if I wanted, I could go botnet free on a Foss custom tom and no gaps also
>>
>>51767148
Maybe end up in NoChromo.

Also, non-root global ad blocking is possible on Android through the use of a local VPN. If you use a VPN for work, you're fucked though.
>>
>>51767367
http://caf.notphenom.com/

>>51767268
>rooting and installing roms

that's not the point

It's as easy as installing an app on iOS.
>>
>>51763068
Micro SD storage yet?
>>
I would honestly switch back to an iPhone
>>
>>51767060
>which can often take more resources than the ads being blocked
yeah, if it were 2003
>>
>>51763068
lmao, is blocking ads even useful? because when android had it and the iPhone didn't you dismissed it as useless bullshit right?
>>
>>51767545
You can still do it without root
>>
>>51767604
Adblockers are notorious for making browsers take up way more RAM than they normally would. Some like uBlock don't offend as badly as others but it's still a problem.

The way webkit does it takes practically nothing. A tiny spurt of CPU usage at when the page starts loading and that's it.
>>
>>51767575
>unironically using SD cards
>>
File: 1449334841546.png (1 MB, 1610x2160) Image search: [Google]
1449334841546.png
1 MB, 1610x2160
>>51767804
Go ahead and load a page like this, with ABP even, then load it without and tell me which one takes longer, or uses more resources.
>>
>>51763141
>Steve Jews
>not Tim Kek
>>
>>51763141
>Build quality
IPhone build quality is fine (inb4 bent iPhone) but android is nicer because no itunes and its not ludicrously expensive
>>
File: 1447976075560.jpg (46 KB, 640x445) Image search: [Google]
1447976075560.jpg
46 KB, 640x445
>>51767813
>using NSAcloud unironically, ironically, metaphorically, literally, figuratively, objectively, subjectively, relatively, hypothetically, offline, IRL
>>
File: 1449602091885.jpg (96 KB, 792x558) Image search: [Google]
1449602091885.jpg
96 KB, 792x558
>>51763068
>all the gullible android fanboys who replied to this shitty, blatant bait

as if we needed any more proof that facebook toy keks are the cancer that have turned this board into pleb central
>>
>>51767804
>have PC with 16GB RAM
>OH NOES MUH BROWSER USES 2GB NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
Androids 6.0.1 privacy controls are so laughable it's not even funny. It's like facebook wrote them.
>>
>>51767858
im not the other dude but why do you gotta be such a hardass about this? just accept that it was a pretty good idea and is going to work substantially better than other methods of adblocking, if nothing else this just means that android is gonna implement an equivalent asap.
>>
it seems like a nice idea to me and no one is using any argument against the idea itself, it's just laughable that a iFuck like OP gives a shit about it when he'd probably find a way to dismiss something that android has had for a long time as 'useless'
>>
>>51769065
>he's still reeling them in

How does it feel to be literally as gullible as mactards?
>>
>>51763068
You can block ads on android too. Nice bait apple shill.
>>
With all those "new" ad blockers on iOS, I wonder why I can't just edit /etc/hosts to block any connection to ad agencies. Oh wait.
>>
File: lion_kek.png (216 KB, 393x391) Image search: [Google]
lion_kek.png
216 KB, 393x391
>>51763068
Android for tablets is kill since iOS now natively supports split screen.
>>
>>51769312
Kek, can you edit and send basic text files without going through 5 apps?
>>
>>51767804
Who fucking cares about the performance? Nobody installs an adblocker for performance gains, they install it so they don't have flashy shit in their face.

Plus performance issues shouldn't be a problem, providing you're not running some old piece of shit from 10 years ago.
>>
>>51763068
Even if the software suite will be the same, which it wont, Apple users will always live in a sheltered environment
even if that happens they still will be buying overpriced chunks of shit
>>
>>51767637
/thread
>>
>>51765628
>Yes and you don't need to pay $100 to put an app in the play store.

The problem is that the Play store is absolutely flooded with garbage apps because they accept pretty much anything in there. Literally impossible to find anything useful there unless you set out to find a specific app.

Apple's app store is much better organized, it has way less stupid shitty apps made by jew devs trying to monetize on dumb shit. In play store, a free app means it has advertisements everywhere and you can't trust the application because the dev has probably created some kind of a backdoor so advertisers can rape your privacy.
>>
>>51766972
lol, only autistic neckbeards care about open sores.
>>
>>51763068
filesystem?
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.