[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm pretty deep into my CS degree, however I neglected taking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: calculus2.jpg (68 KB, 668x289) Image search: [Google]
calculus2.jpg
68 KB, 668x289
I'm pretty deep into my CS degree, however I neglected taking math until this year.
I haven't done math since high school years ago when the highest I went to was Algebra II.
Am I fucked?
I need up to Calculus III and Statistics.
Was it hard for you who studied CS?
>>
Why the fuck do they even allow you to go "pretty deep into your CS degree" with no math? What kind of a fuckhole uni do you go to?
>>
Suck my dick fuccboi
>>
I'll never understand people that skip the most essential classes, or go studying CS without liking math.
>>
>>51761211
>studying CS without liking math.
It's because people have forgotten that CS is supposed to actually be about the science of computing, rather than programming for dummies.
>>
No linear algebra or discrete mathematics required? Dude, you're wasting a lot of money on a worthless joke of a CS degree.
>>
if your school is a decent school with a good money grabbing scheme, they would have an "intro to calculus" class which is basically grade 9-12 math allover again.
i dont think you'd need it, aside from the trig stuff (which you can google as you learn in calc 1) but if you wanna get a good handle of the stuff, take it.

i had to take it because i had a 51 in math in high school so i went to community college and transferred into my univeristy into the anthropology program with the intention of internally transferring into compsci when i can.

and i did and now im in my 4th year. home stretch, brother. almost there.
>>
>wants to go from grade 10 math to multivar calc
i dont have a reaction image as im on a new computer but imagine a stick figure with a derisive smile and you get the idea
>>
If this isn't bettor you're fucked. Drop out and apply to your favorite fast food joint.
>>
>>51761041
He meant he took cs100
>>
File: captcha.jpg (3 KB, 300x57) Image search: [Google]
captcha.jpg
3 KB, 300x57
>>51761827
i think he means that he never took ANY courses in the math department in his degree.

so he still needs to take calc 1. his degree requires him to take up to calc 3.
>>
Math is pretty easy to understand if you're not a retard. Excersises and tests can be hard if your uni is decent, but nothing impossible.
Learn some linear algebra too
>>
Go to khanacademy.com and do the exercises. Everything from precalculus to b ready for calculus and then the rest. They have excellent calculus stuff. Some OK linear algebra and some statistics as well. Work on that every day. Calculus is hard work and it doesn't help to know the theory, you will make mistakes without tons of practice to avoid stupid mistakes. Forgetting a minus here or a pluss there is easy when the calculations are several pages long. Which they will b when you do integrals.
>>
>>51762201
>and it doesn't help to know the theory
If you don't know the theory behind what you're doing then you don't know math
>>
>>51762263
You need the theory, but practice is the key. If you just go "I know how this is done, off to the next" then you are bound to make silly mistakes. Suddenly you get the wrong answers and you don't know why, you do everything correctly except you overlook a minus because you write it too close to a number or symbol or some other stupid mistake. Practice is key
>>
Luckily we're now in the post-khan academy era where youtube is filled with explanatory videos for nearly every discipline.
>>
>>51762372
Oh okay, then I agree. You need to do both
>>
>>51761030
Calculus ain't hard, exams ai.
>>
>>51762448
Stop bragging. It's hard to learn, it's only easy when you know it
>>
File: doit.png (186 KB, 660x400) Image search: [Google]
doit.png
186 KB, 660x400
Calculus isn't terribly hard. It takes practice, but if you're a good programmer and are capable of thinking about things logically and are good at breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable tasks, then you will be able to solve math problems in calculus class.
>>
>>51762448
Considering the amount of people that fail Calc 2, I have to disagree. Its usually only easy to people who have encountered it prior to college.
>>
>>51761030
If you don't want to be an Indian codemonkey, then yes, math is necessary.

Calculus isn't really hard, but it is repetitive and boring if you don't enjoy it; statistics is pretty easy

I suggest you go to khanacademy.com and take the math course from the begging and finish it (don't use a calculator or search the answer); also read, mostly math but also related topics like physics and trigonometry.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.