[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need major help, guys. I'm considering getting a degree
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 1322259941001.jpg (36 KB, 600x443) Image search: [Google]
1322259941001.jpg
36 KB, 600x443
I need major help, guys. I'm considering getting a degree in Computer Information Systems, I've looked online at job prospects and it paints a bleak picture. I wanted to ask you guys, since a lot of you work in the technology field how viable of a degree this.

I know that computer science is probably more marketable, but I fucking hate the curriculum.

What do, bros?
>>
>>51759943
>since a lot of you work in the technology field
>since a lot of you work
>work

this is /g/ you mong
the home of neets and manchildren
>>
>>51760380
Kys
>>
Computer science is not more marketable than computer information systems.
>>
>>51760569
B-but he's right desu senpai
>>
Take psychology u no working manlet
>>
>>51759943
don't go to school for it
teach yourself
learn how to market yourself to others
>>
File: 1447270806140.png (188 KB, 327x328) Image search: [Google]
1447270806140.png
188 KB, 327x328
>>51759943
> Computer Information Systems
>CIS

Scum.
>>
File: 1449607058316.jpg (173 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1449607058316.jpg
173 KB, 960x720
How about gaining a degree in Information Technology
>>
>>51759943
begazzziiieeee
>>
>>51759943

You're actually more employable than CS grads, though you risk getting HR filter blocked from a handful of specialized jobs.

CIS is a focus on software development, network / sys admin, stats analysis, and project management.

CS has the potential to have more exposure to slightly more CE, but is essentially the mathematics of computation.

You gain the software development, analytics, and project management by doing half as many high level math courses in CIS, but you're still going to have to go through discrete, finite, calc and the like in CIS.

I switched from CS to CIS and that was the difference between the two.
>>
>>51759943
Senior in CIS here. I graduate in may and I already have an internship lined up for the summer with a large corporation doing information security. There are a good amount of jobs and internships available for CIS. The best thing you can do is start making servers and researching information outside of the classroom. Mess around with a raspberry pi or something.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.