[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's 2015 And I Still Use a Flip Phone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6
File: dumbphone.jpg (97 KB, 665x443) Image search: [Google]
dumbphone.jpg
97 KB, 665x443
Hell I don't even have text service (too expensive to add it thanks major american cell carriers you fucking assholes) even though my phone is capable.
Anyone know if any provider in the US is going to support/sell any upcoming flip phone that also has smart phone stuff in it? I just love the flip phone size and battery life I hate to get rid of it the day I really do finally move over to a smart phone.
I mean I also would have to bypass them wanting to add data plan charges to my bill too. I hate that they keep wanting to screw me over. They can't stand that I don't have a data plan.
>>
>>51759109
>30 dollars is expensive
>>
>>51759109
>being this poor
Even obamaphones let you text, what the fuck are you doing dude?
>>
File: 1228527686671.jpg (173 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1228527686671.jpg
173 KB, 960x720
Why aren't keeping the one you have?
>>
It gives off a bad vibe, family.
>>
>sms is too expensive

You should probably switch plans/carriers. Almost every plan nowadays offers unlimited texts for peanuts.
>>
>>51759149
Well it's 8 years old for one thing.
>>51759130
Well it sure aint 30 dollars here. To add text service + text rate charges it'll jack my bill up like crazy.
>>51759202
All possible plans that they would switch me would be even more expensive no matter what. I'm not made of money.
>>
>>51759109
>mommy, why did this man just break his phone in half?
>oh, he didn't, hunny. he's just using a flip phone
>but why?
>because he's a faggot.
>>
TWIST: OP is underage, jobless and his parents are actually parenting by not just giving him a new phone
>>
>>51759260
I don't want a shitty big screen smart phone I want a flip phone that's still a smart phone but that's the only kind they fucking sell. I love the flip phone form factor.
>>
>>51759232
>I'm not made of money.
you apparently don't have any at all, if you can't even afford a $30/month straight talk plan
>>
>>51759294
>Walmart bullshit shitty cell service
>>
>>51759315
>I'm not made of money
>>
>>51759232
Honestly you'd be better off with a cheap smartphone at this point. Services like Republic Wireless are $10/month with no data. The telecoms are probably just gouging old people who don't know any better with "basic" plans at this point.
>>
You could get one of those Samsung clamshells that they make in Korea desu
>>
>>51759292
>I love the flip phone form factor...
>and my parents won't buy me a new phone because they're meanies!
>>
>>51759391
But it's still not a flip phone. The point here is a flip phone that's also a smart phone. >>51759447
I don't think those work well on the American networks or are hella expensive to import.
>>
the US doesn't have a market for flip-smart phones like japan does, so no one carries the phones themselves. you could import them though, provided they operate on the same frequencies as US carriers (probably gsm).

instead, look into ringplus for free phone service. you'll have to deal with it being on sprint's network (cdma), but you can get a new flip phone for like $20. i did this to test it out (liked it) before moving my service onto an lg volt i got over the blackfriday weeks.
>>
Just get a tracfone smartphone with a 1 year service that includes 1200 minutes/texts/data on amazon/ebay/hsn/qvc. Then get a texting app, I use textfree.

Its honestly cheaper than having a standard flip or contract if you dont use data by watching youtube videos and what not. Ive used google maps and textfree and max ive used was 25-35mb a day.
>>
>>51760538
and how much did that cost?
>>
>>51760538
Well the problem is that all smart phones available are all crappy big exposed touch screen phones. I just wish they had smart flip phones in america that were a decent price so you wouldn't have to import it which is more expensive and pray it even works okay on american networks. Stupid mass market ruins everything good.
>>
File: LG-Wine-Smart-Burgundy[1].jpg (2 MB, 4152x5196) Image search: [Google]
LG-Wine-Smart-Burgundy[1].jpg
2 MB, 4152x5196
http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_wine-7451.php

Why hasn't anyone mentioned this which isn't even obscure?
>>
>>51761291
What major US carrier supports this phone though?
>>
>>51761362
AT&T still supports the Razr.
I use an LG Xpression, and it's only $15 dollars a month at AT&T, whereas my mom's iphone6 costs almost $150 a month.
>>
>>51759109
Why can't you afford $30 a month for T-Mobile or $35 a month for Cricket (AT&T)?

That will net you enough minutes (100 for T-Mobile or unlimited on Cricket) per month, unlimited texting, and "unlimited" data (full speed until 2.5GB)

Nobody should be using anything other than these two plans unless they have a justifiable reason ie: GSM carriers suck in my area, big red is the only carrier that has service here so thats why I have cdmaids. Nobody should be on cdma prepaid service carriers anymore (ie: boost, virgin, etc).

Cricket has a 5 lines for $100 (thats the actual price, no tax or other fees) and T-Mobile has a 4 for $100 (about $120 all said and done).

T-Mobile has the fastest LTE (60/30 mbps+ down/up in my area) pretty much everywhere its available, Cricket will cap you to 8 Mbps but thats more than enough for actual use and not just speedtests. Cricket's service is more reliable and will be better in rural areas.

The best part is these are gsm, so just put your sim card in whatever phone as long as its for that network or unlocked and it will just work.
>>
>>51761457
Well they say unlimited text but then lie about it
>>
>>51761474
>Well they say unlimited text but then lie about it
I send thousands of texts a month, no problems. Who told you this lie?
>>
>>51759109
>the current year!
>>
>>51761489
Verizon for one. They keep saying it'll be 5 dollars more.
>>
>>51761474
You're gonna have to be more specific on who is lying.

I'm >>51761439, and I get unlimited text and talk. The only thing that isn't unlimited is data, and we only get 10gb a month. I spend more time on my laptop than my phone, so I don't really need the data. Only when I'm in an area with no wifi.
>>
>>51761523
>using a cdma carrier
I mean...you brought this upon yourself then.

>>51761524
Your mom's iphone costs so much because your plan is fucked and/or shes probably leasing it or paying for it over time instead of buying it outright like you're supposed to.
>>
You know what OP I think it would be more urgent for you to get a job that lets you buy and pay for a phone built in the last 7 years.
>>
>>51761551
Well not really it's been my provider long before there even were smart phones to begin with because Alltel and shit.
>>
>>51761563
What if you have a job but you just don't wanna be jewed out of more money every month?
>>
>>51761579
If you really think paying some 20 bucks more a month for something that actually works is "being jewed out of money" then you have a lot more problems than economical ones.
>>
>>51761579
If your job doesn't require the use of a smartphone, you probably picked the wrong career field to go into.
>>
>>51761551
Yeah, she's paying for it over time, but she also has to pay for the insurance on it, as well.
Normally her bill would be around $75 according to the manager at AT&T.
>>
>>51761593
Well my phone now works what if I just want an updated version of that?
>>
>>51759109
Flip phones are GOAT in my opinion.

>no distractions like kiddie games
>does the basic shit a phone should be able to do
>actually fits in your pocket unlike iPlates
>allows me to listen to my tunes

I see nothing wrong here. Kids back then had shits like Razors and weren't the degens they are now.
>>
>>51761601
>her bill would be around $75 according to the manager at AT&T
That is still too high and is stupid. Fix that shit. If she's on AT&T, she can use Cricket without even getting a new phone. She won't even know the difference, except she'll pay off her phone right now then save over $100 each month followed by saving $40 a month forever.
>>
>>51761646
It isn't even her plan, is the thing. So she can't really switch over.
>>
>>51761607
It doesn't because it's old and nobody makes flip phones outside of niche markets so just bite the bullet and buy a $30 smartie from Cricket
>>
>>51761644
I got my first flip phone when I was in my senior year of high school in 2004-2005. Before that for a year or 2 I had a car phone in my car for like emergencies and shit. We were awesome.
>>
>>51761523
>verizon
Found your problem m8.

I'm on cricket currently but have used tmobiles prepaid. Both are good services and I send/receive thousands of texts each month.

They also support any gsm phone so you can just buy a used sony ericcson or nokia flipphone, or even a new one if you're so inclined.

I don't know if cricket has 'basic' plans w/o any data, but i know tmobile does.
>>
File: This tbh fam.gif (161 KB, 921x155) Image search: [Google]
This tbh fam.gif
161 KB, 921x155
>>51761725
>car phones

awwwww shit nigga.
>>
>>51760383
>flip-smart phones like japan
Can you give an example? How do they work?
>>
>>51761742
I have also tried telling parents they are also paying way too damn much on Verizon but people can be so stubborn.
>>
File: MotoPhoneClose.png (130 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
MotoPhoneClose.png
130 KB, 600x400
>>51761759
Yep I totally rocked the bag phone. Looked pretty much like this.
>>
You literally can't have the flip phone battery life and smart phone features.

The only reason your flip phone gets such great battery life is because it has a weak-ass processor and you only glance at the screen for five seconds at a time.

As soon as fags get a smartphone they start streaming pandora and shit and internet browsing practically 24/7. If you get a modern smartphone and use it in the same way it will last just as long or longer.
>>
>>51761825
Yeah but is it as durable? No
Is it still bigger and you having to deal with the fact that the phones bigger? Yes

Why is having a bigger phone better? Phones were getting smaller and more sensible this seems freaking backwards.
>>
>>51759109
>too expensive to add it
You can get a sprint plan for $35 a month that gives you unlimited texting and calling + a decent chunk of Internet usage.
What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>51761770
http://www.samsung.com/cn/consumer/mobile-phones/smart-phone/other/SM-G9198BKACHM
chinese though, looks gorgeous

>>51761825
lg volt can get pretty close with stock battery, at least compared to modern dumb-flip phones like https://www.puretalkusa.com/phones/PT-SS-A157/Samsung-A157 This gets like a week or so on a charge, lg volt can get pretty close if treated in the same fashion (phone only). I have my parents on the A157 through puretalk's $10 senior plan, they just want talk.
>>
File: 9.jpg (8 KB, 116x267) Image search: [Google]
9.jpg
8 KB, 116x267
>>51761906
Because as touch screens developed and became cheaper people realized that the consumer wants a pocket device that also works as a multimedia entertainment center and thusly require a larger screen with higher definition.
Can you imagine browsing the web, youtube, or games on an old 2004 cellphone? Pure misery.
>>
Aint it a pain in the ass for some people to switch cell providers?
>>
>>51761906

I'm still using a flip Razr, so I sort of agree with you.

Just pointing out that as soon as you start looking up bitches snapchat, browing 4chan on the shitter etc that your battery life's gonna go to shit no matter what the form factor.

And the smallness and lightness of a Razr are great, but good luck browsing the web with 12 buttons and a 2.2 inch display.

>add capacitive touch screen
>increase resolution

again, hurts battery life.

I'm explaining why what you want doesn't exist. Get an unlimited texting plan for your flip phone (holy shit, CURRENT YEAR) or just buy a cheap android device and a $20 USB battery pack
>>
>>51762078
Well if I just switch to a plan with actual unlimited text and keep the phone somehow it's still pricier than what I pay now which is a problem. But yeah i understand more stuff does hurt the battery but I still feel like the flip phone is better.
>>
>>51762078
This. You can buy a Samsung Galaxy Glide from walmart for less than 2 dollars, but you have to pay $30 to add it to your plan, or to switch to it from an older phone.
>>
>>51762164
It's not. Like, not even will it protect the screen better because modern phones are made of shit like gorilla glass where you really need to do some shit to it in order to scratch it.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.