[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>FreeSync over HDMI was shown as a concept during this Ju
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
>FreeSync over HDMI was shown as a concept during this June's Computex trade show in Taipei, Taiwan, and its formal introduction makes sense because HDMI-enabled monitors typically start at lower prices than those equipped with DisplayPort, which is, until now, the only connection available to drive either FreeSync or rival G-Sync

http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/88694-amd-announces-freesync-hdmi/
>>
>>51756333
They really need to hurry the fuck up, I want jew-sync dead, if this is anything like the introduction of freesync the it'll be years before this gets into customers hands.

Please raja.
>>
File: RTG_Page_34.jpg (177 KB, 2666x1500) Image search: [Google]
RTG_Page_34.jpg
177 KB, 2666x1500
What a shitty article, didn't even post about HDR or DP 1.3

http://wccftech.com/amd-talks-freesync-in-2016-displayport-1-3-hdmi-2-0a/
>>
>>51756475
>AMD
>capable of anything but good ideas poorly implemented
AMD will bungle it, don't you worry.
>>
File: RTG_Page_29.jpg (233 KB, 2666x1500) Image search: [Google]
RTG_Page_29.jpg
233 KB, 2666x1500
>>51756333
what's the point of FreeSync over HDMI?

literally any scaler that supports variable refresh already has DisplayPort, which has superior bandwidth.
is the end-game to get monitor scalers in consumer TVs for FreeSync support there?

everything listed is just fucking monitors, and all I really want is UHD@120Hz adaptive-sync, which requires DP 1.3 anyway.
>>
>>51757025
Because supposedly HDMI-equipped panels have a lower price point and better market penetration?

I don't understand how that's even physically possible since HDMI is not royalty-free, unless they're using shittier components in those panels in general.
>>
File: 1449565130701.gif (691 KB, 255x209) Image search: [Google]
1449565130701.gif
691 KB, 255x209
>>51756692
>190Hz
>240Hz

There was a point this was superfluous and I think we've reached it.

Higher than 4K is perceptably different. 60Hz to 120Hz is less obvious, but you can still tell.

240Hz is getting towards audiophile tier
>>
Display Port is a shitty standard. HDMI is also shit. It's a problem.
>>
>>51757265
and here's me still using dvi
>>
>>51757188
You could justify over 500 Hz if you really try, the issue is of judder reduction and panned scenes. Even reading scrolling text is better at high refresh rate.
>>
>>51757279
Display port is shit because it's an actively paired connection - it doesn't handle disconnects smoothly. A fucked up display port cable can actually cause driver crashes.

HDMI is shit because it's proprietary.

DVI is nice, but it doesn't have enough bandwidth.
>>
>>51757188
I would argue that 30Hz->60Hz is dramatic and that 60Hz->120Hz is a huge difference even if not quite as big.

I've never seen a true 240Hz display, but I would expect the difference from 120Hz to be appreciable even if it's not a night-and-day difference.
>>
>>51757306
What about SDI?
>>
>>51757367
Doesn't support compressed content. Also doesn't support encrypted content, which is a plus, but because of that Hollywood will never allow it to be a standard. Even though HDCP is completely broken we all have to continue pretending like the emperor wears clothes.
>>
>>51757188
With the right signals even 1000Hz is too low. What if I want to accurately display multiplexed 7-segment LEDs or similar, that react accurately to eye movement?
>>
>>51757393
>Doesn't support compressed content
Well it doesn't mean the compressed content can't be carried
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asynchronous_serial_interface
Here's it explained:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NI7-tRYsPo
>>
>>51757025
to enable freesync on cheap panels with no DP.
I actually have a monitor with DVI and HDMI, but no DP. It was cheap.

Samsung and LG might add Freesync as an option for their TVs, these guys love to stick as much shit as possible in their TVs.
>>
>>51757468
The cost isn't the connector, it's the scaler that has to handle all the inputs.
By the time you add variable refresh rates, you're already talking about a non shit tier ASIC anyway.

Also, I wish those fuckers would stick DP 1.3 on their TVs, but I don't see it happening.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.