[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a question for non rolling distro users. Aren't you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2
File: serveimage.jpg (83 KB, 937x351) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
83 KB, 937x351
I have a question for non rolling distro users. Aren't you guys irritated that you have to reinstall your os every few months because of buggy dist upgrades? I can't remember a single time someone didn't had a problem that was solved by reinstalling ubuntu/fedora & co every six months. I just can't deal with that shit, I would rather wait a few seconds to let gentoo rebuild everything depending on boost after an update and have up to date stable software. You guys aren't using servers so why do you submit yourselves to this "stable" nonsense?

Dammit I can't comprehend.
>>
The whole point is that I don't have to reinstall my OS.
>>
Fuck yes I'm annoyed by it, but I use so much different shit for my studies that anything besides Ubuntu would be a suicide. I just don't have that extra day to spend on figuring out how to install and configure something on my distro because the provided deb doesn't work with it. Gimme a rolling release version of Ubuntu, or at least something that's fairly stable & compatible with its repositories, and I'll be happy.
>>
>>51753700
>Aren't you guys irritated that you have to reinstall your os every few months because of buggy dist upgrades? I can't remember a single time someone didn't had a problem that was solved by reinstalling ubuntu/fedora & co every six months. I just can't deal with that shit, I would rather wait a few seconds to let gentoo rebuild everything depending on boost after an update and have up to date stable software. You guys aren't using servers so why do you submit yourselves to this "stable" nonsense?
I use gentoo and arch on my desktop and laptop, respectively. Debian runs on a VPS I rent, and I have no issues with packages being somewhat out of date because it doesn't take very long to apt-get update and apt-get upgrade, then dist-upgrade every couple years. I would rather have a stable, binary-based server OS than to have something I'd need to check up on regularly such as arch or gentoo.
>>
>>51753714
But you do normally, upgrades never work as advertised especially if you depend on different ppas to get working open source drivers or multimedia packages to decode the newest fancy h2xx codec. Of course i don't expect much breakage if you just use old packages from the distro itself but what's the fun in that?
>>
>>51753760
>2015+11+8
>ubuntu
>not sanic lubuntu or comfy kubuntu
>>
>>51753714
>>51753765
Sorry, I misread the post entirely. I didn't see the "non"
>>
>>51753769
Oh I don't run it with Unity, I have gnome flashback with openbox and compton. Want GTK3, don't want none of that shell crap & cinnamon gives me a headache, so this is pretty much the only way to go.
>>
>>51753799
Finally, another anon who thinks that cinnamon is ass.
>>
>>51753826
You mean it took you this long to find another person who thinks Cinnamon is ass?
>>
>>51753760
>>51753764
I understand the need for a reliable base to get working. Should have mentioned that i was more interested in the opinions from home users. I see debian and ubuntu recommended all the time and always think the guys that recommend that never had to deal with users that want their shit to just work and are wondering why the their update broke everything.

>>51753785
No worries.

>>51753799
>>51753826
>>51753854

I agree cinnamon is ass, never got why people praise that inflexible abomination of a desktop. It doesn't even manage to provide proper theme & font settings for qt apps.
>>
>2015
>using a distro
kek
>>
>>51753700
fedora is shit
>>
>>51753956
>writing your own
I pay rajeet to do it for me.
>>
>>51753700
reinstalling everything, takes around 30 min, plus the time it takes to burn out a dvd. 45 min maintenance a month is not much
>>
I use fedora myself, and really haven't yet had an issue with distro upgrades. I guess I'm those lucky few that have next to no issues with upgrades. At least it gives me some time to get used to some of changes they push to centos which I use on my servers, not to mention that I really have most of my stuff either streamed over network or saved in external hdds(and most important stuff like configs are backed up in an offsite server) so in theory having to wipe and reinstall an os on my personal computers would be mostly just an issue of copying dotfiles after reinstalling and updating the os. So it makes me at least back up my stuff? I don't honestly know familia, if I had problems I wouldn't probably be using this distro at the first place.
>>
>>51753826
>>51753877
Cinnamon is ass alright.. I tried it a few times by now and could never stand it for over an hour. I mean even if we ignore the fact that it's still broken as hell (looking at you, theme installation) it's slow and doesn't fit into the desktop. Like holy shit, it doesn't even FEEL like gtk.

Plus, a pet peeve of mine: you gotta enable switching windows via mouse wheel over the taskbar by hand and even once you do it scrolls them BACKWARDS. No setting to reverse the order, naturally.
>>
>>51753700
I often prefer a stable distro and there's no such thing as a stable rolling distro.
>>
>>51754027
>>51754030
True, I backup my configs too but I always manage to forget something in /etc, yes even in my backup scripts. There is just so much that needs to be modified in a new install, be it new features I want to try or just some shitty xorg tweak that it's more than a minor headache to reproduce that after a wipe or when I try a different distro.

>>51754040
Don't get me starting with that half assed taskbar. It doesn't even have thumbnails of the windows or anything related to a proper modern taskbar (no program pinning, no grouping). It doesn't even look like it belongs there, just a complete mess that makes plasma5 look like the messiah. The only good thing is their new sound applet, that shit's sleek.

>>51754121
There is, take a look at gentoo, select a profile, resolve the first birth blockers that are there by design and enjoy months or years of up to date stable programs, apart from gnome that is. There is no such thing as dependency hell.
>>
>>51753877
>I understand the need for a reliable base to get working. Should have mentioned that i was more interested in the opinions from home users. I see debian and ubuntu recommended all the time and always think the guys that recommend that never had to deal with users that want their shit to just work and are wondering why the their update broke everything.
I used debian and ubuntu derivatives for a couple years, and never had any issues with them except when I edited configs blindly, broke everything, and could only reinstall to solve the problems.
But for the average user, bleeding edge packages aren't very important, especially when they're already managed by apt.
>>
>>51754181
But average users are the ones blindly installing third party deps from the internet and then coming to me whining why the distro upgrade broke them.
>>
>>51754147
>It doesn't even have thumbnails of the windows
It actually does have that in 2.8
>>
Updated 9 Fedora 20 machines to 23.
Just werks.
>>
>>51754269
This. Upgraded my fedora 19 to 23 without encountering any problems.
>>
>>51753700
LTS was made for a reason.
>>
>>51753765
Fedora distro upgrades work fine. Never had an issue with them.
>>
>>51754121
Linux is a stable as the user is. desu senpai
>>
>>51754366
LTS is a lie. Dont fall for this. You may get updates, but only for a FEW packages. And I mean FEW. Now we all know how slow debian package releases are. What people today get for their LTS systems are ~5 packages in a week.
>>
"Stable" distros are good for two reasons:

a) servers
b) noobs

Like >>51754473 said, the stuff is always stable, if you dont act like a faggot and READ about what updates you get/what you need to do.

You dont get "dev" stuff within a rolling release, you get "stable" packages.

inb4
>arch broke my xorg
Then dont use arch; learn gnu/linux first.
>>
Debian or Ubuntu LTS are good enough. They both have several years between upgrades.
>>
>>51754572
And between these years you're running outdated programs, LOL.
>>
>>51753700
>I can't remember a single time someone didn't had a problem that was solved by reinstalling ubuntu/fedora & co every six months

Well obviously, 'cause those distros are shit. Canonical doesn't even seem to test their packages and Fedora is Arch with a gui.

I've ran 3 full release upgrades on my OpenSUSE install and never had a blip of a problem, including the massive Leap 42.1 update.
>>
>>51754587
Do you feel like a special snowflake having bleeding edge software?
>>
>>51754621
Arch and Fedora use different package management and release styles.
>>
>>51753700
Debian dist-upgrade never failed on me. I'm using testing and it's practically rolling release.
>>
>>51754713
Obviously, that's not what I was implying. Fedora uses bleeding edge and often unstable packages.
>>
>>51755000
Fair enough. I remember people jokingly calling Fedora RedHat's playground among other things because packages were tested on it before making it into RHEL.
>>
>>51753760
Debian sid
>>
>>51755120
Ubuntu and Debian repositories are largely incompatible + Debain doesn't support ppa.
>>
>>51753764
>I use arch and gentoo and don't have to update often.... Than use something you have to check up on regularly such as arch or gentoo.

Elaborate? You had previously said that arch and gentoo run for long periods of time without needing to be upgraded and then go on to say how you have to check up regularly on them.
>>
>>51754309
same here senpai but i started at 20
never had problems with fedora
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.