[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What GPS do you guys use in your car? I'm in the market
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
What GPS do you guys use in your car?
I'm in the market for a new one, not sure what has changed since I bought mine. I have an old Garmin.
>>
$50 Windows Phone with full offline HERE maps + spoken street names.

Best GPS ever made.
>>
>>51747896
My phone. Dedicated GPS units are for old people.
>>
>not using Google maps or Waze
>>
>>51748609
>jewgle maps
>drive through area with poor signal
>lol fuck you no more street names
>"turn left in 100 meters"
>>
Dedicated GPS:
Full fucking retard enter address in reverse order bullshit.

WP:
HERE Maps with full offline maps, POIs, and spoken street names.

Android:
Google maps is good, until you drive through an area with no data and it stops telling you street names. "Turn left in 500 meters." Right, because I'm a robot and can so easily fucking tell how much distance I'm driving. Offline map downloads expire in 30 days, and those don't offer street names either. 2/3 the other GPS software say they support street names, but then they're completely mute and don't even work.

Ironically HERE maps is still the best android GPS app, but the version on android doesn't have street names.

iOS:
Drive off a freeway and turn left into a lake. You've arrived at Home Depot.
>>
>>51748656
I've driven through shit-tier Mexican ass neighborhoods in the heart of south Dallas and still Google Maps gave me street names.

Also, can you not look at the fucking map and see the street name on the screen? Can you not estimate distance? Are you a man?
>>
Wait, people actually rely on GPS to direct them places? They don't set the address in advance and look at the map beforehand to familiarize themselves with the route/streets before setting off?
>>
Nokia N8
>>
>>51748656
privileged much?
>>
>>51748988
Mate, I grew up in country Victoria. It was easy as shit to get around. I couldn't live with out my GPS now that I've moved to Melbourne for uni. Fuck this place.
>>
File: mazda-cx-9-navigation-screen.jpg (397 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
mazda-cx-9-navigation-screen.jpg
397 KB, 1600x1200
>2016
>GPS still not standard in cars
>should be expected at this point like air conditioning and power windows
>$2,000+ option on most models
>can buy top of the line standalone units for $300
>can go to any pawn shop and buy a gently used one for $50
>a lot of built-in models have shitty GUI like pic related

Alright.
>>
>>51749492
I hate the idea of a built in GPS. It's better to just get an external.
-You can choose the model you like
-easy to update/upgrade
-can take it with you, or use it in a car that doesn't have a GPS
-you can put it in a position you prefer.

The main benefit of a built in GPS is it can't be stolen.
>>
I actually use copilot GPS with the 10$ voice direction add-on. Its not bad, but suffers from outdated maps for where I live. Then again, where I live intersections and highways change on a yearly basis.
>>
>>51747896
Garmin here too.

>>51748988
I used to do this because I thought using GPS's would be inaccurate and slow. I'd look up the address in advance, map out checkpoints, and just memorize where I'd have to go. Then I started using a GPS.(Only because my mom gave me one for christmas)

They're pretty damn good. Now I don't have to waste 5 minutes learning a route. I just put the address in and I'm good to go. I feel like I'm driving blind without one now.
>>
>>51748708
>Right, because I'm a robot and can so easily fucking tell how much distance I'm driving
maybe you should git gud and learn to judge distances
it's not hard, they even give you a picture to go off
>>
>>51749981
I must be the last human being on Earth who leaves my house two hours early to find a place, and learn the roads by exploring.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.