[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>all this hype about Google Fiber >Austin "has it"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 11
File: Google+Fiber+truck.jpg (91 KB, 660x398) Image search: [Google]
Google+Fiber+truck.jpg
91 KB, 660x398
>all this hype about Google Fiber
>Austin "has it"
>over a year since its announcement its still not up and running
>all reports say its still another full year from finally finishing up just the installation part
>the few select apartments that actually have it are charging ridiculous rental fees for a fucking town in the middle of no where texas
>a million other cities now all "projected"
>barely any true impact in Kansas itself
>all the top bandwidth database sites show that Kansas the state and city is still no where near the top of average speeds
>supposedly 900% faster than any other ISP, including FIOS within those isnt enough to heavily sway the averages for the city/state
>which means actual availability is equally as low as it is in Austin and will be in any other city they start laying lines in
>>
>>51746035
i just go to work and use internet2
>>
so it was all just a publicity stunt. that's a shame.
>>
Austin's network was significantly delayed by AT&T, who threw the legal equivalent of a blithering foaming-at-the-mouth tantrum, appalled that Austin would dare grant a competitor utility right of way.

At least Time Warner pissed their pants in fear and gave me 300Mbps.
>>
>>51746110
>Fiber announced plans to open in Irvine
>Cox suddenly announces they're upgrading me to gigabit

I'm not complaining because at the very least it's putting fear in ISPs.
>>
Our Australian new internet will be here within the next 5 years. Guaranteed 20mbps down and 5mbps up! It will be worth the $100 billion.
>>
>no google fiber plans for NY state
why are American ISPs so bad
>>
>allowing the King of Botnets to be your ISP
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.
>>
>>51746183

you've had FIOS for over a decade faggot
>>
>>51746199
but goy you want inexpensive internet!
>>
>companies with unlimited money throwing law books at you.

Even if you're google, that shit will slow you down. Cut them some slack.
>>
>live in Ohio
>entire state is rigged up with one of the top fiber networks on the planet, OARnet, which can provide up to 100 Gbps of bandwidth
>republikeks in the capital only allow it to be used for schools and constantly defund it because "muh free market, muh competition"
>pay at&t uverse $65 for a 12 Mbps connection

Why do I live in this shit state again? I was thinking about moving to Austin for Google fiber but it looks like there's no hope there, either. Is the only place with good internet fucking Chattanooga?
>>
>>51746035
They got hung up, but it did what google wanted anyways.
The ISPs in Austin started offering better speeds.
Also, rental/housing in Austin is really high anyways since a million people are moving in.
>>
>>51746436
>constantly defund it

Why would the government be finding a private ISP? Is this a normal thing?
>>
>>51746226
fios hasn't expanded in 10 years, they're only in a few places in ny.
>>
>>51746499
yes, the telecom industry in the US is fucked, tax breaks for uncompleted projects, etc.
>>
I'm from Kansas City and a lot of people have it here and its pretty cool
>>
>>51746752

>google fiber is a pretty cool guy
>>
>>51746110
This. I heard from family in Texas that ISP's around the Austin area pulled spaghetti from their pockets and gave out free "upgrades" when they heard Google Fiber was coming to town.

Did Google just pull a Elon Musk to provoke ISPs into not stagnating anymore?
>>
>>51746035
Thats because Google only does things to 80% before they stop caring. I am in KC and its the exact same thing. Lets rollout in new cities before finishing the old ones...
>>
>>51746436
Currently live in Chattanooga. Pay about $65 per month for 100Mbps down and up. Another $10 would get me gigabit, and $300 per month gets some insane speed, can't remember if it was 300 gigabit
>>
>>51746510
You know how Burgerland works by now. Get rich or get fucked.
>>
File: 1439603567143.jpg (18 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
1439603567143.jpg
18 KB, 500x282
>>51748298
Damn that's nice.

I'm paying almost what your paying for an absolute shit tier satellite connection. Apt complex here had a monopoly, can't use anything but their service.

Whatever people's thoughts about Google I am happy they are at least storing the pot. Wasn't long ago ppl were talking about severe data caps and possibly the death of Netflix and now we got isps giving huge free upgrades to ppl when Google just looks in thier area. Giving greedy bastards.
>>
>>51746035
I'm one of the apartments with it :^)
>>
File: 1440367839653.gif (152 KB, 500x516) Image search: [Google]
1440367839653.gif
152 KB, 500x516
>>51746499
ISPs are all recipients of various government subsidies, allegedly to help them recover the costs associated with keeping the American telecommunications infrastructure intact. Of course this is a fucking joke, since our internet speeds are fucking slow as shit.
>>
>>51748808

I mean, given the size of our country, and the average internet speed, we're doing fairly well DESU. When a country is smaller than the size of one of our fucking states, with less population to match, it ain't difficult to have great internet. You're providing infrastructure to less people in a smaller space.
>>
>>51748799
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>51746160
Fuck those retards turnbull and abbott

Could've had fucking fibre for half the country by now for the same fucking cost
>>
Comes here in 1 month.
I can't fucking wait.

I don't even know how im going to handle all that speed. It's mainly those godly upload speeds im oozing over.

So many things I always wanted to do
fff
>>
I am pretty close to the GFiber rollout. Most of the infrastructure where Google plans to host their shit is not completed yet. Its also, obviously, a very thorough operation with lots of third parties involved all needing to come together to make it fully work. If you saw the equipment needed for the backend, you'd shit yourself.
>>
File: screen.1449554038.png (334 KB, 1213x712) Image search: [Google]
screen.1449554038.png
334 KB, 1213x712
HYPE
>>
>>51746035
>the few select apartments that actually have it are charging ridiculous rental fees for a fucking town in the middle of no where texas
That's happening in any city that has a selective implementation of gigabit lines.

Take Seattle for example. A lot of the Amazon boom apartments got gigabit through a service called CondoNet. The City of Seattle granted CondoNet permits for only a few "high development" projects as a test run.

Guess what? CondoNet couldn't sustain itself and got bought by Wave (Northwest's version of Time Warner). Almost all development on their network is halted and Seattle just had to renegotiate rights to Comcast because some of the wires were not installed properly and began failing.
>>
>>51747361
>Did Google just pull a Elon Musk to provoke ISPs into not stagnating anymore?

More or less, yes.
>>
>>51748908
you don't need 95% profit margins to run a stable infrastructure sempai
>>
>>51746035
>nearest google fiber place is two states away
luckily i think there's another small isp around here offering fiber
>>
>>51746035

>supposedly 900% faster than any other ISP, including FIOS

>be me
>be several years ago
>hear about FiOS
>go to Verizon FiOS site
>look for info on availability
>no coverage map
>stupid address lookup form
>wait forever for shitty server to respond
>sorry, not available in your area!
>sign up here to never actually get any notification because we're never coming to your neighborhood!

I fucking hate this obfuscating bullshit. Marketing material designed entirely to give an *impression* of availability and corporate strength, and maybe drive you into marketing channels if you're a big enough customer, but zero actual information.
>>
>>51746436
>republikeks in the capital only allow it to be used for schools and constantly defund it because "muh free market, muh competition"

That's particularly hilarious. Bandwidth is the infrastructure of the 21st century. You want tons of jobs in your state thanks to the new Internet economy? Build out tons of communication infrastructure. Forget about the meager gains from telecoms, reap the benefits of wider employment and new markets.

But hey, we're a country with a crumbling road infrastructure, so whatever. Let's all just vote to get as many kickbacks from big ISPs as possible before the whole ship sinks.
>>
File: 1427599585579.jpg (49 KB, 460x645) Image search: [Google]
1427599585579.jpg
49 KB, 460x645
>>51746489
I wish austin didn't exist. My company (in silicon valley) got bought by a company based in austin and basically the entire IT department is in austin now. And those stupid austin fucks don't believe in things like SANs or clustering virtual hosts so every virtual host is running as a single node using fucking local storage.

>TFW the CIO took my SAN away 3 months ago

Fuck it I'm leaving.
>>
File: 1443613455105.png (51 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
1443613455105.png
51 KB, 512x512
>>51746160
> there will still be data caps
>>
>>51746035
>Austin
>middle of no where texas

What the fuck are you smoking nigga?
>>
File: 1441430647915.jpg (133 KB, 634x650) Image search: [Google]
1441430647915.jpg
133 KB, 634x650
>>51746035
This kind of shit is what you freetards will never understand. Infrastructure takes billions if not trillions of dollars to develop. You need big companies like Comcast who can take the short term costs associated with installing physical lines in order to ensure that everyone has access. Without capitalism the internet would fade away.
>>
>>51749718
>You need big companies like Comcast who can take the short term costs associated with installing physical lines in order to ensure that everyone has access.

You mean the big companies that only agree to service an area if they're given a long-term exclusive rights contract by the municipality? Then, when they've squeezed all they can out of every citizen possible, when people demand more for their dollar, decades after their investment has been paid off multiple times over, they cry about free markets?

>Without capitalism the internet would fade away.

Without government lock-in contracts, land rights grants, and subsidies, these half-assed fat-as-bacon companies might have to actually do things like be competitive.
>>
File: 7987.jpg (10 KB, 328x277) Image search: [Google]
7987.jpg
10 KB, 328x277
>>51749718
>America gives billions of taxpayer dollars to telecoms to install broadband internet in the 90s
>Telecoms pocket the cash and buttfuck their customers with slow, expensive internet.

People like you enable their bad behavior with your ancap garbage.
>>
>>51749718
>Infrastructure takes billions if not trillions of dollars to develop.
Why are some cities in the US opting to lay their own fiber if it costs trillions of dollars? Comcast aint gonna do shit unless they're challenged to get off their ass and make improvements.
>>
File: 4896740043[1].png (32 KB, 300x135) Image search: [Google]
4896740043[1].png
32 KB, 300x135
Only took 2.5 years of waiting.

I literally have no need for this speed.
>>
Why do people trust google? What makes everyone think they aren't doing exactly what AT&T did with room 641A?

Google lays the network, taps the network and stores the information in the NSA's Utah data centre.

Fuck google.
>>
>>51750381
>Why do people trust google? What makes everyone think they aren't doing exactly what AT&T did with room 641A?

Every single telecom in America has a room like that. It is a de facto legal requirement in the US.
>>
File: take_me_god.jpg (47 KB, 400x340) Image search: [Google]
take_me_god.jpg
47 KB, 400x340
>>51749687
>>
>>51748909
>not knowing about le dorito face
>>
>>51749687
I lol'd. Then got sad again
>>
>>51748949
Yeah nah. They're shit cunts, but the NBN was never going to cost 40billion. Fucking stupid of the government to promise us that.
>>
>>51746035

Thanks OP for crushing my only hope to rid myself of Comcast in the near future.
>>
>>51746035
I wonder if Google will install cameras in people's bathrooms in exchange for free Gigabit Internet.
>>
>>51749718
>what is romania
>what are numerous eastern european countries that have amazing Internet due to high competition and low regulations
>>
i hate google but in fairness they are building an entire ISP from scratch. huge difference between that and incumbents lighting dark fiber they were sitting on just because 'damn it, competition'.

plus real estate/rent in and near austin is sky high ridiculously priced to begin with - google fiber or not. so thats unrelated.

what theyre doing is good for the consumer in the end. even if indirectly. its about time our bandwidth capability is brought into this century. hell even half of what they promise is good with me.

people always find reasons to whine
>>
>>51746436

Columbus is spending loads of money installing fiber all over the city

>for its traffic signals

Kill me now

https://www.dot.state.oh.us/engineering/OTEC/2008%20Presentations/57A.pdf
>>
>>51752920
Sounds about right. Cleveland here - stuck with crap time warner.

Supposedly ATT and considering bringing their 'gigapower' service here, that would be nice.
>>
>>51749690
Dallas is the only city that matters, Austinfag
>>
>>51749646
>But hey, we're a country with a crumbling road infrastructure, so whatever.
I didn't believe just how bad the roads were in the US until I went there.

Even Poo2Loo India has a better, cleaner road system.
>>
>>51749646
The reason Ohio is wired up the ass with bandwidth is because there's so many spook spots. They can't have a secret facility and then put "CIA datacenter" on their bandwidth application. The government moved heaven and earth to make sure the required bandwidth was there and it's not at all because of the rolly polly round faced locals. It's because Dayton-Canton is packed with people who work for "the family".
>>
>>51753933
That depends on the state. If you go to Pennsylvania you'll see shit roads that are under construction 24/7/365. If you go to Virginia the roads are generally very smooth.
>>
>>51752638
Romanian here can confirm

I have a 500Mb connection for which i pay $11 per month. The 1TB one was $13...
>>
>>51754444
1Gb*
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.